U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 07:41 AM

35,885 posts, read 66,920,434 times

Advertisements

I am planning a party and checked out the regs concerning purchase and transport of alcohol (including wine and beer). Here are the regs in case anyone else is planning a party for a large group:

Mecklenburg County Alcoholic Beverage Control Board

In accordance with North Carolina ABC laws, a customer may purchase up to eight (8) liters of alcohol (distilled spirits) from our stores without a transportation permit. With a transportation permit, the customer may purchase up to forty (40) liters of alcohol and subsequently transport their purchase within the State of North Carolina. A transportation permit is issued free of charge at the store, and is valid until 9:30 p.m. on the date it is issued.

If you need a transportation permit to transport more than eight liters of alcohol after 9:30p.m. of the day of the original purchase, you can obtain an additional permit by returning to one of our stores and advising us how much you need to relocate. Our sales associates are unable to provide "blank" permits to patrons.

Transportation permits are also available (and necessary) when purchasing large quantities of wine. The quantity limits for fortified wine are the same as the aforementioned limits described for alcohol (distilled spirits). However, a customer may purchase up to twenty (20) liters of unfortified wines without a transportation permit and a maximum of 100 liters with a transportation permit. Customers planning to purchase large quantities of wine may obtain a permit from an ABC store at no charge.

Note: A permit is not required for the purchase of beer. However, a person cannot legally purchase more than 80 liters of beer per transaction, except in kegs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 08:20 AM

755 posts, read 2,239,563 times
Wow. That's interesting. I never actually looked up the regs, but I transported liquor across the state line all of the time. Frugal MacDoogal's near Carowinds has better prices and mucho selection.

Of course I never purchases eight liters at one time, either.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
Wow. That's interesting. I never actually looked up the regs, but I transported liquor across the state line all of the time. Frugal MacDoogal's near Carowinds has better prices and mucho selection.

Of course I never purchases eight liters at one time, either.
Hee Hee - well, I don't typically buy 8 ltrs at a time, either, but the bar is out of stock . . . and I have a lot of wine for this occasion, as well. My dad had told me I better check out the regs. The chances of someone stopping me would be very slim, as I am only a few miles from the ABC store, but w/ my luck . . . I hate to say it - but the six out of the last eight times I was out running errands, some fool making a stupid driving move has nearly hit me (I wonder when my luck will run out). And I thought - wouldn't it be just peachy if I had a trunk load of alcohol . . .and got rear-ended!!!!!! Sure do not need a ticket for something to do w/ "illegal transport of alcohol." Geeeeeezzzzzz.

Uh, wonder how many trips I would need to make to Frugal MacD's in order to fill out my bar order . . . and is it illegal to bring booze across state lines?????? I think I better read some more regs . . .

Old 11-26-2007, 01:08 PM

Default Checked on out of state transport regs:

Looks like we are all ok if we only buy 4 liters and bring it across the SC state line. WHO KNEW????

18B-402. Alcoholic beverages purchased out-of-State.
A person may bring into North Carolina alcoholic beverages purchased legally
outside the jurisdiction of this State in the same amounts that may be legally transported within the State under G.S. 18B-400 or G.S. 18B-403, except that no more than four liters of spirituous liquor purchased outside this State may be brought into this State.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:33 PM

5,777 posts, read 8,395,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
18B-402. Alcoholic beverages purchased out-of-State.
A person may bring into North Carolina alcoholic beverages purchased legally
outside the jurisdiction of this State in the same amounts that may be legally transported within the State under G.S. 18B-400 or G.S. 18B-403, except that no more than four liters of spirituous liquor purchased outside this State may be brought into this State.
Honestly, I'm in support of states encouraging people (read: penalize) to make their purchases within state lines. But, 8 liters INTRA state - even INTRA county?! That's a bit too conservative.

It's funny that I sit here having no clue what the NY/Suffolk law is...

Old 11-26-2007, 07:54 PM

Default Who knew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Honestly, I'm in support of states encouraging people (read: penalize) to make their purchases within state lines. But, 8 liters INTRA state - even INTRA county?! That's a bit too conservative.

It's funny that I sit here having no clue what the NY/Suffolk law is...
Don't feel bad . . . I had to look it up and I was born here. And I only did that b/c my Dad said - you better check that out b/f you start carting alcohol in your car. Would not have even thought about it (but maybe someone at the ABC store would have said something to me - buying in quantity).

NC also has an open bottle law (maybe all states do) . . . have not looked that up in years, either . . . can't have a bottle w/ the seal broken anywhere in the car except the trunk, if the law hasn't changed.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:51 AM

299 posts, read 947,260 times
Interesting. Not that I'm planning to transport large amounts, but it's good to know! Thanks for the link, Ani!

Old 06-12-2009, 12:07 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,408,044 times
Ani why not just fire up the still?

Old 06-12-2009, 04:54 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,662,902 times
I would have never thought to ask but since it is free absolutely no reason not to cover all your bases. Have fun, and BTW Alka seltzer really does cure a hangover!

Old 06-12-2009, 06:55 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,911,975 times
A few years ago, the police went right to the state line and staked out Frugal MacDoogles with some binoculars from the NC side of the line. They were looking for people with NC tags purchasing a lot of booze. When they spotted one, they would call it in and bamm. They were pulled over and fined once they crossed the state line for breaking the regulation specified above.

There was a bit of outrage over it when one of the TV stations got wind of it and did a story about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte