Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 04:56 AM

14 posts, read 14,683 times

Advertisements

Not cop bashing but I am concerned when I see cops sitting around in their cars for long periods of time seemingly hiding behind buildings and bushes and such. Why don't they sit out in plain view of everyone if they must do nothing but just sit and kill time? I see this all the time and the only time I've ever question a cop about this, what I call "goofing off", was when I saw a Sargent coming out of the back door of a barber shop that he and I both use. he was getting into his unmarked car. I told him that I see it all the time and that I had seen these cops sit for hours playing on their smart phones and that it seemed to me that if they must just sit around that our tax dollars would be better spent if they would at least sit in plain view of the motoring traffic and therefore cut down on speeders as well as road rage and such. I could tell that he was somewhat peeved at me and after all he had been caught doing the same thing as what I see as "goofing off" in that he chose to park around back of the barber shop rather than out front where I had parked and told me that they had folks watching for this and that at least I didn't need to worry about my truck or the bank that I had been to that morning as long as the cop was sitting there. Clearly he was offended but don't I have a right to question such action or inaction of the police with out being thought of as a cop hater? I know that after having been in the workforce for over 50 years I've never had a job where I got paid well, had good benefits and was paid to get hair cuts, drop off and pick up dry cleaning, go to the hardware stores and get things for my projects and in general do my personal business. After learning how much it cost for these resource officers in our schools I'd vote for having them "goof off" there instead. I don't see where it benefits anyone but the cop who is sitting out of site. At the schools they would make our schools safer with out it costing any of us any more. Sitting in plain view of our roads and streets would certainly make them safer. Oh and after talking to the Sargent that day they stopped sitting where I had complained about making me think that perhaps I'm on to something !!

One more thing, please don't tell me that cops put there life on the line every day because it simply isn't true. Our troops do that !! Most cops never draw there weapon unless it's to practice or to qualify with said weapon.

ok, through venting for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 06:25 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,834,325 times
So, you're perfectly okay when someone tells you about how you should be doing your job? Maybe you should run for city council and really change things. You know, make these lazy bums actually work. You obviously know all about police work and know it is far safer than we are led to believe. You should propose taking their bulletproof vests and extra ammo to save us taxpayers money.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:26 AM

841 posts, read 2,475,625 times
I wonder the same thing all the time! I usually see a bunch of cops just standing around in front of the building I work in and they're not paying attention to anything going on around them. They're usually just huddled in a circle talking amongst each other and laughing and joking around. I also see them sitting by the coffee shop in my lobby doing the same...just sitting around, talking to each other.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:39 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
If the cop at your barbershop is in an unmarked car why would it matter where he parks?

Cops get breaks just like any other employee... parking a car isn't "goofing off"

You need to sit down somewhere Columbo

Old 12-16-2013, 06:44 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
As Felt said, they do get breaks.

Also, by your logic our troops don't put their lives on the line every day either. I was on active duty in the USMC for 4 years and never fired a weapon outside of the rifle range and I'm sure there are still plenty of service members in the same situation today.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:50 AM

645 posts, read 1,068,906 times
First of all, the police are entitled to breaks. Unlike office rats, they're always connected to their radios so they can respond. They're never noncommunicable.

They're not "hiding" behind buildings to avoid work. They're there to prevent something from happening, or they're observing from an inconspicuous place. You gotta remember that these guys stand a chance of getting their heads blown off every time they put on that uniform, so they have to observe from a distance and from a place that affords them protection from the bad guys.

You really want Blues walking around and sticking their noses into everyone's business? Even people who are law abiding get nervous when they see a cop. There's no reason for cops to be mobile at all times.

You see two or three cop cars parked side-by-side? Maybe they're discussing an impending drug bust or taking a discussion off the air to leave the waves open for emergencies.

My cousin is a Brooklyn cop. He's lucky if he has time to have a decent lunch most days. Same thing with Charlotte Blues. Sometimes they've gotta stop. The thing is that when they stop, they're the most vulnerable.

Put yourself in their place for a couple of hours. It's not a fun job.

Last edited by LarryBGood; 12-16-2013 at 07:20 AM..

Old 12-16-2013, 06:56 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times

Southland - Ice Cream and the Taxpayer - YouTube

Old 12-16-2013, 07:23 AM

468 posts, read 826,828 times
I guess the next gripe will be the perceived notion that firefighters just sit around the station playing checkers and waiting for something to happen.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:24 AM

645 posts, read 1,068,906 times
Tell you what. If a cop comes to my place of business, he gets the best treatment possible: a cup coffee from my very own Mr. Coffee machine, and he can use the facilities.

Must be Californey cops in that video. Most cops I know take it on the chin and go about their business.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:40 AM

14 posts, read 14,683 times
mod cut

Feltdesigner..

nothing wrong with taking a break like the rest of us get but again we don't get an unlimited number of breaks and for as long as we like at times on top of taking care of our personal business too! And the point wasn't him being in an unmarked car rather him parking around back and using the backdoor to come and go, sort of like he was knowingly goofing off rather it was his intent or not..

at least address you post accurately..

bs13690...
I was in the service for over 6 years and would never compare my duty to those in combat and neither should you.

LarryBGood...
Your reply does bring out some very good points and i agree with most of what you say but the actions that I'm referring to, the cops were sitting and playing on their smart phones. I pulled up and saw for myself or I'd never have stated such. But I hardly think sitting where one can be seen would be sticking their nose in anybody's business. Again I do appreciate your post, it makes more sense that these other mod cut. And you're so right it isn't a fun job most times but still deserves to be done right. And I have a son-in-law that is on the swat team and this is why it bothers me so much when in my eyes the actions of a few color them all with the same brush!!!

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 12-16-2013 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: tos violation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: