U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 04:03 AM

2,115 posts, read 2,692,410 times

Advertisements

Trying to narrow down my list of Huntersville subdivisions - all of these look good "on paper", reality is different. Looking for the "inside scoop". Which are the most desirable, friendly, close to amenities, no problems, safe, not out in the boonies and would allow for a small yard for a dog? Sidewalks and/or walking trails are a plus. Don't really care about pool/tennis.

I've listed things I've read on any of them and my impressions. Please help me narrow down! Budget is under 300K.

Wynfield/Wynfield Forest/Wynfield Creek - One of my favorites. Wynfield in particular seems to have great yards and beautiful mature trees. What is the difference between the 3?

Birkdale - My second favorite. Love the proximity to Birkdale Village - that's a huge plus. Know it will be hard to find under 300K here, but they do come up.

Mcauley
Arbormere
Arbor Croft
Centennial
Cedarfield
Latta Springs
Carrington Ridge

Stephens Grove - have read it is "out there"
Skybrook - have read lots of comments about it being next to a smelly farm or some sort
Northstone - have read that this is nice - but it is high priced and homes under 300K really need updating
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 04:27 AM

Sorry forgot one - LOL...

Barkley - this looks like a very nice established subdivision.

Old 12-24-2013, 06:07 AM

5,885 posts, read 7,741,016 times
I like the Wynfield neighborhoods and hoped to buy in there but was too expensive for me. I believe Wynfield is the "original" and will have less in your price range, but the three of them seem to flow together pretty well IMO. Good amount of sidewalks and such throughout and always saw people walking about. Probably a lot of children in there but I'm sure there are people without them as well.

Cedarfield is similar and pretty much across the street but slightly lower end and usually seems to be more for sale in there but you'll have a lot more options in your price range. I think part of the reason Wynfield is priced higher is because it's zoned for a better rated high school (although not guaranteed to stay that way forever), which helps for resale but I know you said you don't need schools.

Both (and the other neighborhoods in the immediate area) are right near a large hospital as well as several grocery stores and apparently a few newer local restaurants. Not far from Birkdale Village. If you ever need to go uptown at rush hour it's much easier than from exits 25+.

Old 12-24-2013, 06:24 AM

5,885 posts, read 7,741,016 times
Almost all of the areas you are considering including other threads are nice, safe areas and for the most part close to amenities. Just be aware that unless you're in the heart if Davidson (unlikely in your price range), it's going to have a different feel than where you live now. The word subdivision almost by definition implies that.

Old 12-24-2013, 06:34 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,591,459 times
Those all are great subdivisions and you almost ranked them by age.
The subdivisions are nice just basically need to see which home is at better price point with less interior updating. Unless its a steal of deal

Here some pictures I have taken in the past to give idea what some of subdivisions look like. I should have combine both threads I guess since the second is no longer new lol.

Photo Guide to Lake Norman and surrounding area

Brand New Subdivisions Huntersville (photos)

Im partial Cedarfield because to me its easy to interstate, and close to town and Charlotte also easy to get to Mountain Island Lake and NorthLake Mall area.
My only complaint would be the thin interior walls but that may be a universal thing with construction today, but outside noises dont bother me.
I like the green-way, sidewalks, two pools and two field areas for playing football.
I used it with my late Sheltie to play catch.
I also like most homes have woods for back yards, which is nice since we have Cedars lining fence area (highly recommend) to give privacy from neighboring homes.

You picked some great neighborhoods and I also love Wynfield it also has a green-way very hidden (short) with a boardwalk in a forest, that follows a creek very cool.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 12-24-2013 at 10:10 AM..

Old 12-24-2013, 09:01 AM

119 posts, read 135,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Trying to narrow down my list of Huntersville subdivisions - all of these look good "on paper", reality is different. Looking for the "inside scoop". Which are the most desirable, friendly, close to amenities, no problems, safe, not out in the boonies and would allow for a small yard for a dog? Sidewalks and/or walking trails are a plus. Don't really care about pool/tennis.

I've listed things I've read on any of them and my impressions. Please help me narrow down! Budget is under 300K.

Wynfield/Wynfield Forest/Wynfield Creek - One of my favorites. Wynfield in particular seems to have great yards and beautiful mature trees. What is the difference between the 3?

Birkdale - My second favorite. Love the proximity to Birkdale Village - that's a huge plus. Know it will be hard to find under 300K here, but they do come up.

Mcauley
Arbormere
Arbor Croft
Centennial
Cedarfield
Latta Springs
Carrington Ridge

Stephens Grove - have read it is "out there"
Skybrook - have read lots of comments about it being next to a smelly farm or some sort
Northstone - have read that this is nice - but it is high priced and homes under 300K really need updating

How about Stratford Forest? A nice little hidden gem up there in back of Birkdale.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:10 PM

45,061 posts, read 17,914,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Wynfield is a lot older.

Old 12-25-2013, 05:12 PM

488 posts, read 659,044 times
I live in Gilead Ridge and it is very nice. I prefer the Gilead Road area for convenience to everywhere. I do not consider Skybrook Huntersville. Many homes under 300K and a large farm behind us.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:49 AM

287 posts, read 669,916 times
Default Wynfield Forest

[quote=macalan;32731254]Trying to narrow down my list of Huntersville subdivisions - all of these look good "on paper", reality is different. Looking for the "inside scoop". Which are the most desirable, friendly, close to amenities, no problems, safe, not out in the boonies and would allow for a small yard for a dog? Sidewalks and/or walking trails are a plus. Don't really care about pool/tennis.

I live in the Wynfield Forest subvision for about 6 years. Its a nice community. I will send you a DM (Direct Message) with some details.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:01 PM

Thank you.

We've managed to make our A and B lists based on several different criteria -

A - Birkdale, Cedarfield, Wynfield, Wynfield Creek, Wynfield Forest, McAuley, Arbor Croft, Centennial, Northstone

B - Barkley, Arbormere, Latta Springs, Carrington Ridge, Stephens Grove, Skybrook
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte