U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2014, 11:42 AM

527 posts, read 636,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by First and Ten View Post
While i do not live there, i do have a lot of friends from the WO community. The people i have spoken to have no desire to go anywhere, if they had their choice, they want to remain at Cuthbertson
Of course, that's what everyone wants.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:47 PM

141 posts, read 171,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
Of course, that's what everyone wants.
Really Mike? I don't know if i necessarily agree with that. Just my opinion of course, but i sense a small group of posters on here that I almost feel is taking some sort of perverse enjoyment in these redistricting talks, almost seem like they WANT it to go thru (again, i could be misinterpreting the tone of the posts). There is no "winner" when you upset close to 6000 children. These are kids, not numbers, and to hastily put together this plan so a "spreadsheet" looks good, is wrong in my opinion

Old 01-22-2014, 12:52 PM

This is very interesting:

Administrative guidelines for B of E when redistricting being considered:

5. The goal for final decisions to be made regarding redistricting would be prior to the end of December in the year proceeding its implementation. Example – final decisions regarding reassignment of students for the fall of 2003 would be made by the end of December 2002.
6. Parents of affected students would be notified as soon as possible (goal would be by mid January for reassignment in the fall of the next school year).

Final assignments won't be known until at least April, maybe longer. Further supports how fast this process is moving, BofE not adhering to their own guidelines.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:11 PM

5,783 posts, read 8,417,724 times
Quote:
Really Mike? I don't know if i necessarily agree with that. Just my opinion of course, but i sense a small group of posters on here that I almost feel is taking some sort of perverse enjoyment in these redistricting talks, almost seem like they WANT it to go thru (again, i could be misinterpreting the tone of the posts). There is no "winner" when you upset close to 6000 children. These are kids, not numbers, and to hastily put together this plan so a "spreadsheet" looks good, is wrong in my opinion
I think there may a little truth to all that, but you may be misinterpreting some of it and I don't think it's quite as evil as you portray it... Having caps in place is not good and the overcrowding is just plain bad. People want to see the caps lifted and the capacity issues addressed. You should also consider that some folks are interested in ripping off the band-aid and getting it over with - instead of dragging out the inevitable outcome. They'd prefer to know if they're moving ASAP.

To be honest I don't see where the haste reference comes from... they've done this before and have experience... they've been "working on it" for months, at the very least since they knew they had to institute caps - albeit not in the most transparent way.

Quote:
This is very interesting:

Administrative guidelines for B of E when redistricting being considered:

5. The goal for final decisions to be made regarding redistricting would be prior to the end of December in the year proceeding its implementation. Example final decisions regarding reassignment of students for the fall of 2003 would be made by the end of December 2002.
6. Parents of affected students would be notified as soon as possible (goal would be by mid January for reassignment in the fall of the next school year).

Final assignments won't be known until at least April, maybe longer. Further supports how fast this process is moving, BofE not adhering to their own guidelines.
I think at best you can call the guidelines "evolving".

Old 01-22-2014, 01:17 PM

[quote=MikeyKid;33132477]I think there may a little truth to all that, but you may be misinterpreting some of it and I don't think it's quite as evil as you portray it... Having caps in place is not good and the overcrowding is just plain bad. People want to see the caps lifted and the capacity issues addressed. You should also consider that some folks are interested in ripping off the band-aid and getting it over with - instead of dragging out the inevitable outcome. They'd prefer to know if they're moving ASAP.

Being fair, i never said evil. I said perverse enjoyment. I did preface my post with i could be misinterpreting the tone, but I don't think so, especially when some posters seem to like the idea of "the little snowflakes" being bussed around

Old 01-22-2014, 01:26 PM

5,783 posts, read 8,417,724 times
Quote:
Being fair, i never said evil. I said perverse enjoyment. I did preface my post with i could be misinterpreting the tone, but I don't think so, especially when some posters seem to like the idea of "the little snowflakes" being bussed around
All truth - I didn't mean to offend...

I see a hint of what you're referring to, but since I find myself somewhat aligned to the "get it over with" and "let me know if I'm moving" camp - I understand why some posts (mine included) may come across wrong.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:32 PM

Mikey….i wasn't personally offended, but do appreciate the clarification from you….thank you for that. I will rarely bash someone for their opinion. I find open debate a very good thing that could possibly lead to solutions being typed out. who knows, any alternate ideas could provide fruitful. The one thing i will respectfully disagree with you on. This idea they have been working on this for months….really? So they only been working on redistricting and map lines for months, yet haven't looked at any other solutions? That is troubling if that is the case

Old 01-22-2014, 01:49 PM

137 posts, read 164,674 times
Upon further review, the Facebook comments by Stewart that I thought were him saying he was opposed to redistricting were actually comments about the $91 million in litigation and how he disagreed with the BOCC strongly over that. I apologize for the error. I've had several people say Stewart appears to be leaning towards voting YES which makes more sense anyway based off where Stewart lives. Traditionally in Union County, the farther east you go, the more likely your board member is going to vote yes on redistricting. Also, people are interpreting some comments by Yercheck on WBT as being more of a pro-redistricting nature than not. If this is all correct, the actual count would be

Yes: Collins, Crowder, Guzman, Pigg, Stewart, Yercheck
No: Hodges, Savage
Unknown/Undecided: Helms

By my count that's over the 5 needed with 1 to spare and Helms being undecided. I can tell you from experience that if board members say they will vote one way on something or hint that they will, it's nearly impossible to get them to change their minds. It's easier to work from a neutral position than one that's already taken one side or the other. So if this all holds true, it will be nearly impossible to break redistricting.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:56 PM

631 posts, read 736,736 times
Quote:
Just my 2 cents. I'm definitely not "for" redistricting, but many of the alternatives being discussed have negative consequences as well.

The year-round proposal will impact a lot more families than just the 5800 (20,000+ if its done at the whole cluster level in impacted areas). It would be a tough adjustment for many families and I'm curious to hear a teachers perspective on that one. Our state/county continually take away pay and incentives and to now ask them to work year round could be a tipping point for many. Additionally with 4 tracks, friends would still be split up on these different schedules. I'm on the record of being for the year round, but I am probably in the minority when it comes to all the families and teachers impacted.

Caps are a band-aid that will last a good 3-4 years minimum and the reports show it will continue to impact more schools. Even ignoring the projected growth, the current population is putting a massive strain right now on several schools.

I am FOR getting the existing schools fixed. That's a no brainer and I'm glad the ignorant BOCC finally gave some of the funds to fix a problem they created.

I am also for building new schools, but in reality that will take 2-3 years, lots of money and... you guessed it... redistricting!

On a related note, someone on one of the FB sites wrote a letter about the negative impacts redistricting has on test scores. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't all the kids at Cuthbertson get redistricted a few years ago? Their test scores seem to be just fine making it a "high ranking" school.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:06 PM

527 posts, read 636,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarti78 View Post
Yes: Collins, Crowder, Guzman, Pigg, Stewart, Yercheck
No: Hodges, Savage
Unknown/Undecided: Helms
I was unaware that Yearcheck had come out publicly in favor of redistricting. Can you post a link? As for the others, at least 2 of them have said they support redistricting if there are no other options. At this point they have not been presented with other options... duh!

Quote:
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I think that there is definitely an "echo chamber" effect going on with the anti-redistricting rhetoric... When you surround yourself with people all agreeing with each other, it skews perspective.
The only echo chamber is this message board and it's continually fueled by the same 3-4 posters. Believe it or not everyone that is opposed to the plan isn't opposed to redistricting. We just want it done right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
To be honest I don't see where the haste reference comes from... they've done this before and have experience... they've been "working on it" for months, at the very least since they knew they had to institute caps - albeit not in the most transparent way.

I think at best you can call the guidelines "evolving".
There is always an excuse isn't there? And for the record, no they have never done anything of this magnitude unless it involved a new school opening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or