U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2014, 06:29 PM

5,783 posts, read 8,411,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
Nope, I'm saying that class size doesn't correlate to better education as some here have implied.
Then why is student teacher ratio such a well respected statistic with regard to schools?

Old 01-22-2014, 06:31 PM

985 posts, read 1,649,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First and Ten View Post
Having said that, something does need to be done, and soon because the over crowding at the schools is becoming dangerous and a distraction from what the focus of the school day should be. Teachers cannot teach effectively when there are 38 children in a classroom. Yes,.... 38.

whxwlvr….my question is genuine….yes, 38 does seem like a lot of kids in one class, what school is that if i can ask?
Not first and ten, but MRMS and MRHS have 40+ in many classes.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:32 PM

397 posts, read 579,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawmom75 View Post
My son has already spent his entire 5th grade year in a trailer and I would like to see some of these overcrowding issues addressed as there are other schools with plenty of open seats, competent teachers, and opportunities for lesser student to teacher ratios. I personally don't want my son to be in a middle school class of 45-50 children where he will struggle to get any individual attention or help if needed. In my humble opinion, a school's number one purpose should be that of EDUCATION.

Just curious Waxhawmom….i do believe the BOE would allow you to transfer your son to a school that is underpopulated. Have you inquired as to that possibility of moving your son to a school that virtually assures him a seat in a classroom. A little inconvenience doesn't compare to the peace of mind you would have
He will go wherever he is redistricted. My daughter did it for years and my son will do the same. I don't believe in teaching my kids to flee from change, particularly prior to giving it a fair chance.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
I may not have a law degree (cough, cough) but, Yes, already have the applications. Just like some are ready to sell or explore other options.

Got to watch that copy, paste from FB.
haha - gotta love the extra passive aggressive touch anonymously... and then realize maybe you're not as anonymous as you think. oops lol

I R SMART

Old 01-22-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
He will go wherever he is redistricted. My daughter did it for years and my son will do the same. I don't believe in teaching my kids to flee from change, particularly prior to giving it a fair chance.
Good for you, but don't feel compelled to respond to these silly accusations. Especially when these people calling you out choose not to answer direct questions themselves.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:38 PM

141 posts, read 171,833 times
Quote:
Do you believe in teaching your kids to take a stand if they feel something is wrong?

Old 01-22-2014, 06:49 PM

71 posts, read 71,706 times
My son is at MRHS, and he has teachers who have complained to me about class sizes. One teacher called me at 8:30 pm on a Saturday to discuss his grades. She apologized for calling over the weekend because she has a larger class than normal, and cannot possibly do everything during work hours. I wonder why teachers want to teach in NC with lower pay and such large class size. I'm a nurse, and I always look at patient census before I take a travel assignment. Overcrowding is and will continue to cost us amazing teachers.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:52 PM

397 posts, read 579,104 times
Quote:
Do you believe in teaching your kids to take a stand if they feel something is wrong?
Sure. But until they are paying their own bills and no longer living under my roof, I am still the head of household. I make the rules. I don't let my children run the household, nor do I let fear make the decisions. Hopefully they don't expect me to abandon the home that Ive worked my butt off for, leave it to foreclose, and put our financial future at risk because they are afraid to make new friends and adjust to a new environment. I chose to be a parent, not a friend. A school will not make them amazing. Nor will living with an unrealistic view of how life works. But to each their own.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:56 PM

141 posts, read 171,833 times
Quote:
Sure. But until they are paying their own bills and no longer living under my roof, I am still the head of household. I make the rules. I don't let my children run the household, nor do I let fear make the decisions. Hopefully they don't expect me to abandon the home that Ive worked my butt off for, leave it to foreclose, and put our financial future at risk because they are afraid to make new friends and adjust to a new environment. I chose to be a parent, not a friend. A school will not make them amazing. Nor will living with an unrealistic view of how life works. But to each their own.
The "Sure" would have sufficed for your answer. I didn't need the run down on your resume how you think you are "Parent of the Year"….Its good to know that you hold yourself in such high regard. I guess you feel at least one person should

Old 01-22-2014, 07:00 PM

631 posts, read 736,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
Really? Let's assume for a minute, just one minute, that we all agree that the schools are crowded. What's the best way to alleviate overcrowding? Force a bunch of kids to schools that, while they might have seats, can't from a facilities perspective support the influx, and continue to let the high growth areas go crazy? OR, maybe just maybe, slow the growth by sending new people to schools out of their area? What would happen if people moving to the area knew they would go to SV or Parkwood? Think that might slow growth a little bit?...
If we're going to solve this by blaming the growth, then let's leave the cap, but get to the root cause. Anyone that bought or built a house to attend the Cuthbertson cluster since it was opened in 2009 created the over crowding. That school was build for the people that were there in 2009 and not for others that might move in. How dare they?!?! So maybe, just maybe, we should send all those post 2009 people to SV or Parkwood since they created this mess. Once all the 2009-2010 kindergartners graduate in 2028 other people can attend the school. We could do the same thing for Marvin Ridge (2007) and Porter Ridge (2005).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or