U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-22-2014, 11:08 PM
 
451 posts, read 608,588 times
Reputation: 248

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by First and Ten View Post
You seem to love FB….Please point out to me where i claimed to be an "expert" in any of my posts. I don't believe i have, nor would i. I would not claim to be an expert in the field of education. I believe that home values are more closely tied to school ratings. Following that avenue of logic, Higher rated schools tend to have better test scores. I am not a realtor, but i believe its a safe assumption that a house in a school district of say a "10" will tend to appraise higher than the same exact house in a school district of say a "5", all other things being equal. Now i am sure you can find a few examples of where that may not be the case, but i am sure we can consider those outliers
I cannot begin to tell you how much I love FB and all the UCPS FB groups. Love them, just not dumb enough to be on it/them or Twitter or Instagram, let alone copy, paste from any of them. I'm just so happy that the tone of this thread turned shortly after some earlier posts. Legal expertise, realtor experience, let alone overall real estate expertise is not need here. Just some good old fact based opinion.

You stated earlier that you personally have lost $60k in home value. What was the causation? Cap, recent appraisals, recent sales, redistricting plans, what? if so when? I'm a #s guy as you know and love #s. I would be glad to look at the comps for you and help you out.

Last edited by SunshineCJ; 01-23-2014 at 12:21 AM..

 
Old 01-23-2014, 06:35 AM
 
141 posts, read 171,905 times
Reputation: 63
I can absolutely comprehend frustrations of parents who have children that are effected. And as a parent, I am not claiming that I would not be looking to move, not looking at private schools, not looking to see how my neighborhood could avoid it, and just being indifferent to my child having to readjust. But I would, and have, made myself aware of all the logistics and procedures and come to terms that what is best for the county is not always what is best for my child. And I can also sympathize with people in the east that have been getting the brunt of this growth. I don't have to be affected to see someone else's perception. I wouldn't ask for tax money be allocated more for my needs than for kids across the county. I've agreed with many suggestions that try to minimize the impacts on the number of students. I do, however, think redistricting is necessary. I do sympathize very much with those affected, but there is a difference between thinking that your child deserves more from a free public education than another child across the county, and making a decision that the free public education that is being offered does not meet the needs of your particular child, and deciding to seek alternative options.

CC, I agree with the above point you made above, especially when people say they had no idea this could happen….3 brand new school clusters in 12 years and 3 "redistrictings", albeit on a much smaller scale, in the past 6 yrs should have given people an indication of what was going on in this area when they moved here. I do not understand the meaning when you say "your child deserves more from a free public education than another child across the county, and making a decision that the free public education that is being offered does not meet the needs of your particular child, and deciding to seek alternative options". I do not think that the majority of the parents think their child deserves more than another child, i think most of what they are upset about is property values, longer bus times, losing friends and lower rated schools. I don't take that as they feel they are "better" than anyone else. Maybe you have interacted with different people than i who have expressed a different mindset
 
Old 01-23-2014, 06:41 AM
 
141 posts, read 171,905 times
Reputation: 63
You stated earlier that you personally have lost $60k in home value. What was the causation? Cap, recent appraisals, recent sales, redistricting plans, what? if so when? I'm a #s guy as you know and love #s. I would be glad to look at the comps for you and help you out.

Sunshine….i said that after the "proposed" lines came out and my neighborhood was redistricted from a current school to a different school. Friends of mine are realtors and casually talking i was told my house is probably $60K less if it goes to this new school. I didn't say it was a FACT, i am not looking to sell, i am just stating what was told to me. So to answer your question, it would be "redistricting plans"….i might add it would be $60K less if/when the redistricting plans become final and if my neighborhood moves. I am not selling, i am not going anywhere. I love my neighborhood. It is just a bit disconcerting if i was looking to sell and if i did lose 60K, i would be upset
 
Old 01-23-2014, 06:44 AM
 
1,226 posts, read 2,051,610 times
Reputation: 1864
Quote:
Originally Posted by First and Ten View Post
I can absolutely comprehend frustrations of parents who have children that are effected. And as a parent, I am not claiming that I would not be looking to move, not looking at private schools, not looking to see how my neighborhood could avoid it, and just being indifferent to my child having to readjust. But I would, and have, made myself aware of all the logistics and procedures and come to terms that what is best for the county is not always what is best for my child. And I can also sympathize with people in the east that have been getting the brunt of this growth. I don't have to be affected to see someone else's perception. I wouldn't ask for tax money be allocated more for my needs than for kids across the county. I've agreed with many suggestions that try to minimize the impacts on the number of students. I do, however, think redistricting is necessary. I do sympathize very much with those affected, but there is a difference between thinking that your child deserves more from a free public education than another child across the county, and making a decision that the free public education that is being offered does not meet the needs of your particular child, and deciding to seek alternative options.

CC, I agree with the above point you made above, especially when people say they had no idea this could happen….3 brand new school clusters in 12 years and 3 "redistrictings", albeit on a much smaller scale, in the past 6 yrs should have given people an indication of what was going on in this area when they moved here. I do not understand the meaning when you say "your child deserves more from a free public education than another child across the county, and making a decision that the free public education that is being offered does not meet the needs of your particular child, and deciding to seek alternative options". I do not think that the majority of the parents think their child deserves more than another child, i think most of what they are upset about is property values, longer bus times, losing friends and lower rated schools. I don't take that as they feel they are "better" than anyone else. Maybe you have interacted with different people than i who have expressed a different mindset
You know, if you press "quote", it properly formats the quote so your posts are easier to follow and it doesn't look like you are making those same comments. And your comments are contradictory.
 
Old 01-23-2014, 06:54 AM
 
141 posts, read 171,905 times
Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
You know, if you press "quote", it properly formats the quote so your posts are easier to follow and it doesn't look like you are making those same comments. And your comments are contradictory.
How are my comments contradictory?
 
Old 01-23-2014, 07:02 AM
 
631 posts, read 736,736 times
Reputation: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by First and Ten View Post
No i don't think that Logical, nor did i claim that….i was talking to rmarti about property values and why (my reasoning) a house in a higher rated school district tends to be more expensive than the same house in a lower rated district. I never made claims about individual students….In another post i said parents are upset due to the fact that their children could possibly be pulled out of their current school, sent to a lower rated school, longer bus trips and a loss on their property values. Combine that with loss of friends and the time and $$$$ they have invested in their current schools and all of those factors could contribute to parents being upset….so to answer your question, no i don't think that nor did i post anything remotely resembling that. If your purpose is to bait me in the attempt to "bash" another school, i am not doing that. If you look back at my posts i said Parkwood ISNT a bad school. I said it was a GOOD school. I also said that in my dealings with Parkwood students and parents, they are wonderful people and close friends of mine
I wasn't trying to bait you at all, and apologize if it seemed that way. I understand the concerns with bussing and property values, but never understand the school rating issue. Test scores are a combination of so many factors and many people on here are bashing the schools. I missed your good comments about Parkwood, as well. What do your Parkwood friends think of all of this?
 
Old 01-23-2014, 07:44 AM
 
141 posts, read 171,905 times
Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
I wasn't trying to bait you at all, and apologize if it seemed that way. I understand the concerns with bussing and property values, but never understand the school rating issue. Test scores are a combination of so many factors and many people on here are bashing the schools. I missed your good comments about Parkwood, as well. What do your Parkwood friends think of all of this?
The people i have spoken to (not trying to represent the majority at all), they are a bit defensive, rightfully so….Mindset of we didn't ask for this, new people coming to our school and we are getting bashed. And they are absolutely right. I can also say that most of my friends, who are slated to go to Parkwood, have absolutely no issue with the people or kids at Parkwood, its more of loyalty to their present school, distance and yes, i do believe it has something to do with the school ratings. I do not claim to know all the factors in why one school is a "10" and while another is a "5"….Lets take a comparison, and use 2 different schools to get away from Parkwood and Cuthbertson for a moment….Ok to compare SV and Wedd, since that is another area impacted? I am taking this documentation straight from a website (High School)

Total AP course enrollment:
SV - 2%
Wedd - 6%

English test scores

SV 81%
Wedd >95%

Algebra Test Scores
SV - 72.2%
Wedd - 93.7%

Biology Test scores
SV - 81.5%
Wedd - >95%

SAT scores

SV - 990
Wedd - 1091

Graduation Rate
SV - 89.9%
Wedd - >95%

Now we can debate reasons for why one school performs at a higher level than another. Sometimes it seems that if you pick one school over another, people get the feeling you are disparaging or calling the other school "bad". that is not my intention, if you look at most of the state averages, SV is performing above those averages. so you can say SV is a GOOD school. But be fair, when you compare it to Wedd, based on these test scores, Weddington clearly outperforms it. Again, i am not a realtor, but if i take the exact same house as far as size and amenities with the exact same lot size, i put it in a development with Wedd schools and in a development with SV schools, is it a safe bet that the Wedd house is 10% - 15% higher as far as sale price? So these school ratings do seem to have an economic impact. I am willing to bet that SV students love their school, as they should….Same with Parkwood kids, Cuthbertson kids, Weddington kids and all the other students at their respective schools love their schools and take pride. they should and they should be proud
 
Old 01-23-2014, 08:31 AM
 
137 posts, read 164,674 times
Reputation: 124
Test scores can be a good jumping off point if you're a newcomer to the area unfamiliar with anyone at any of the schools, but it should just be that. I gave my theory on why there's a slight difference in these schools' test scores. It certainly makes more sense than the teachers or administration or even genetics like a few morons have implied on Facebook.
 
Old 01-23-2014, 08:35 AM
 
1,031 posts, read 2,145,028 times
Reputation: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Do you really think that a kid that scores a 95's at CHS will suddenly score 75's at Parkwood? That somehow everyone has "underperform cooties" and they will transmit it to your child?

Please check out this site to see the outstanding alumni of Parkwood: https://www.facebook.com/groups/342710485872136/ Or do they look too underrated?
TooLogical, bear with me, as I am really curious and I tend to ask a lot of questions. I would really like to know how would you explain the difference in the schools scores compared to the other schools that are being affected by the redistrict? There has to be some real logical explanation right? I've heard it from more than one source that the test scores don't really reflect what happens at the school. I also know that there are many fine and outstanding kids that go to the school, heck I'm even related to a few. But overall the numbers don't paint the picture of success. I'm not talking about Goodschool ratings, I'm talking about the numbers that the state puts out on NCReportCard.

I'll use this analogy as a comparison. I'm retired from the food business. Every 6 months we get a county inspection. That number is published so that the public knows how clean our business is. If you go into a restuarant that has a low rating, doesn't that give you a reason to pause? Doesn't necessarily mean that you are going to get a bad meal, or the the people that work there are bad people. It does mean that there are things that aren't right.

As I said many posts ago, a child's education has alot to do with the environment and surroundings in which that learning takes place. I don't think any child will get "underperfom cooties" as you put it, but I do believe that environment does make a difference. You ask the question about whether or not a child scoring 95's at CHS will suddenly score 75's at Parkwood. It's hard to say, but I am not really willing to bet my kids education on it, would you?
 
Old 01-23-2014, 08:38 AM
 
103 posts, read 143,190 times
Reputation: 67
Here's the comparison of Cuthbertson and Parkwood high schools as reported on NC Report Cards.

Total AP course enrollment:
Pkwd - 3%
Cuth - 5%

English test scores
Pkwd 81.6%
Cuth >95%

Algebra Test Scores
Pkwd - 64.2%
Cuth - >92.4%

Biology Test scores
Pkwd - 76.4%
Cuth - >95%

SAT scores
Pkwd - 1023
Cuth - 1041

Graduation Rate
Pkwd - 84.0%
Cuth - >95%

Cuth- Honor School of Excellence
Pkwd- No Recognition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:36 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top