U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2014, 09:00 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,145,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarti78 View Post
Can someone answer why they put so much stock into Greatschools ratings? If Parkwood is a 5 and Cuthbertson is a 9, do you think that means Parkwood has lesser teachers? Lesser administration? Lesser students? I'm a Parkwood graduate and I can assure you that you get the education you put the effort towards. If there are some students or parents at Parkwood less concerned about straight As than at Cuthbertson, how does that affect any student that IS as concerned? If you're a Cuthbertson parent sending your kid to Parkwood, if that kid wants to get straight As and a high SAT/ACT, they will have the exact opportunity to do so at Parkwood than they do at Cuthbertson. I bet the same is true for Weddington folks going to Sun Valley. If you're against redistricting, I completely understand your opinion if it's simply coming from wanting to keep your kids' friends together. If it's because you believe they'll receive an inferior education from Parkwood or Sun Valley, you're completely ignorant. Don't let a national site that knows absolutely nothing about the actual schools tell you otherwise.
I will put the same question to you as I did TooLogical, and it is one that I truly would like someone to answer. How would you explain the difference in the schools scores compared to the other schools that are being affected by the redistrict? There has to be some real logical explanation right? You say test scores don't really reflect what happens at the school. I also know that there are many fine and outstanding kids that go to the school, heck I'm even related to a few. But overall the numbers don't paint the picture of success. I'm not talking about Greatschool ratings, I'm talking about the numbers that the state puts out on NCReportCard.

I'll use the same analogy as before. I'm retired from the food business. Every 6 months we get a county inspection. That number is published so that the public knows how clean our business is. If you go into a restaurant that has a low rating, doesn't that give you a reason to pause? Doesn't necessarily mean that you are going to get a bad meal, or the the people that work there are bad people. It does mean that there are things that aren't right.

As I said many posts ago, a child's education has a lot to do with the environment and surroundings in which that learning takes place. I am really interested as a very concerned parent how one reconciles the difference at the educational level between the two schools. My kids will get what ever grade that they earn regardless of the school, and quite frankly that's not the point. The point is there are some glaring difference between the schools, yet no one has a logical explanation and when it is questioned then feelings get hurt. I am trying to make a positive, educated decision about the future of my children and their education. There may be something absolutely wonderful about Parkwood that will allow my children to have an outstanding educational experience that will build a solid foundation for their future. However, looking at what the state of North Carolina produces as measures for success, I see a great divide. Help me put the puzzle together.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:06 AM

137 posts, read 164,674 times
And as I said before, my only explanation is that perhaps for a small percentage of the parents at Parkwood that straight As aren't as important as they are for parents in these newer schools. Parkwood has a higher percentage of farmers than these other schools have. If you're going to take over the family farm one day, what difference does getting into college mean to you? Maybe it does; maybe it doesn't.

Interesting analogy because I think I would use that for MY opinion as well. As long as the restaurant has an A rating, which I would guess over 95% of restaurants have in NC, I don't care about the exact number that much. It's when you see a B that you run for dear life from the restaurant. Parkwood, Cuthbertson, Weddington, Sun Valley...all of these would score As if they were restaurants.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:10 AM

Besides, there are other things that factor into the equation besides just test scores, no? I have no experience at Weddington, but it's called by many WEEDington for a reason right? Does anyone remember the Observer story circa 2008 about the cocaine epidemic in the Marvin Ridge/Ardrey Kell area? What about Kim Warr and the baseball coach at Cuthbertson's horrific treatment of a disabled student on the team? Let's not pretend that Cuthbertson/Weddington/Marvin Ridge are these school nirvanas either. All schools have their problems.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
And as I said before, my only explanation is that perhaps for a small percentage of the parents at Parkwood that straight As aren't as important as they are for parents in these newer schools. Parkwood has a higher percentage of farmers than these other schools have. If you're going to take over the family farm one day, what difference does getting into college mean to you? Maybe it does; maybe it doesn't.

Interesting analogy because I think I would use that for MY opinion as well. As long as the restaurant has an A rating, which I would guess over 95% of restaurants have in NC, I don't care about the exact number that much. It's when you see a B that you run for dear life from the restaurant. Parkwood, Cuthbertson, Weddington, Sun Valley...all of these would score As if they were restaurants.
Thanks, interesting information.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:35 AM

2,088 posts, read 3,571,904 times
As many has mentioned, like it or not, with very few exceptions, we are a product of our environment - this is especially true for kids when they form their personality and shape their goals in life.
So if some kids don't have college dreams (schools with lower college admission rate and lower SAT), most parents don't want their kids being influenced by them. While it is true that a self motivated kid will not be slowed down by the environment, not many parents want the risk and to find out the hard way...

Since most in the new subdivisions are highly educated professionals, they cannot accept their kids don't follow the same route - get best education available. Main reason for many newcomers in UC is top rated schools and many spent more than comfortable (plus are subjecting themselves to over 1 hr daily trafic) to get in 10 rated schools. So the double hit on seeing their kids sent to a less than a top rated school plus a drastic decrease in their property value, it is too much to take.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:41 AM

3,521 posts, read 2,235,522 times
Quote:
Redd Jedd and First and 10: I have not argued that property values are higher in the most western clusters so I'm not sure what you're point is. Just that these sites that base everything solely on test scores without knowing the reasoning behind those test scores are flawed and shouldn't scare anyone being redistricted into Parkwood or Sun Valley. Again, I would argue that perhaps a very small percentage of parents at Parkwood are less grade obsessed than those at the higher-performing schools. That's my only explanation because I can tell you that it's not the teachers or administration.
The one constant is that all schools teach the same curriculum and administer the same tests to all schools, so if they are flawed, they are flawed the same way for everyone that takes them. This is the one unbiased measure we can use to judge overall student performance of a school. This has nothing to do with using a loaded phrase like "grade obsessed parents". Parents want to put their kids in the best learning environment they are able to afford. The best measure of that we have available is the test scores and graduation rates. So how are the tests flawed, or a jlat said, what is the cause of the test score disparities?

Old 01-23-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Besides, there are other things that factor into the equation besides just test scores, no? I have no experience at Weddington, but it's called by many WEEDington for a reason right? Does anyone remember the Observer story circa 2008 about the cocaine epidemic in the Marvin Ridge/Ardrey Kell area? What about Kim Warr and the baseball coach at Cuthbertson's horrific treatment of a disabled student on the team? Let's not pretend that Cuthbertson/Weddington/Marvin Ridge are these school nirvanas either. All schools have their problems.
Yes absolutely no school is a nirvana. Not only do test scores impact environment, so does crime and violence. For example:

From NCReportCards (the state of NC school report card site)

The number of acts of crime or violence per 100 Students: (This is for the 2011-2012 school year)

Cuthbertson .96
Weddington 1.06
Sun Valley 1.91
Parkwood 2.26

I don't know, disinterested farm kids?

Old 01-23-2014, 10:32 AM

397 posts, read 579,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
Yes absolutely no school is a nirvana. Not only do test scores impact environment, so does crime and violence. For example:

From NCReportCards (the state of NC school report card site)

The number of acts of crime or violence per 100 Students: (This is for the 2011-2012 school year)

Cuthbertson .96
Weddington 1.06
Sun Valley 1.91
Parkwood 2.26

I don't know, disinterested farm kids?
Id like to do my own study. The stats for the number of kids at each school that test positive for marijuana. I bet lots of eyes would be opened then.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:46 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,995,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawmom75 View Post
Id like to do my own study. The stats for the number of kids at each school that test positive for marijuana. I bet lots of eyes would be opened then.
I'm sorry but I must be missing your point. Can you elaborate? Let's just say Weddington tested positive more densley than Parkwood, would something be validated for you? Test scores that remain higher in kids who remain "higher" are still higher test scores.

ETA: And if its regarding the environment mentioned earlier, those kids are still pushing for more success, according to test scores.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:51 AM

Doing the math, based off those stats we can expect 16 incidents at Cuthbertson and Weddington next year and 19 at Parkwood if there's no redistricting. Is that a significant difference? You tell me.

Look I'm not trying to disparage any school here. Just know that the level of education is the same at all the schools mentioned. And things like drugs exist in every school. If you have a kid that goes to Weddington or Cuthbertson or Marvin Ridge, ask them today how many kids they know that are potheads. The answer might surprise you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or