U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2014, 03:59 AM

44,396 posts, read 17,725,965 times

Advertisements

Union county added 7,228, over the last two years. For comparison, Mecklenburg county added 49,406.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:21 AM

189 posts, read 276,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Union county added 7,228, over the last two years. For comparison, Mecklenburg county added 49,406.
Huh? The change in CMS student enrollment from the 2011-2012 year to the 2012-2013 school year based on 20th day enrollment numbers was 3,159 students. Where did you get 49,000?

Old 01-24-2014, 04:30 AM

305 posts, read 659,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antneye View Post
As someone who is thinking of moving to union county and has to buy before the new school year starts i am watching this closely. I have no doubt that it is happening, and to be honest for those worried about property values you will be better off getting this over with. I certainly will not buy in UC until this thing is voted on. If they punt the decision for a year I will be buying elsewhere.
This.
As I posted before, by dragging this out, I think we are cutting our own throats and sending our property values plummeting. I get wanting the best opportunities for your children, but all this nasty fighting is sending the wrong message to people and it will hurt us way beyond just the pain of a new/old school if we don't get a grip on ourselves.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:53 AM

397 posts, read 579,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
BoE doesn't care about property value, they care about all the snowflakes within certain budget #s. BoCC might but they control valuation.

Before certain communities go nuclear again, think hard about about what damage one inflicts upon oneself. Short term and long term because it looks like and sounds like $$$s. One's own $$$s. It's not all about the snowflakes is it. A lot of damage was done last week by stabbing yourselves in the back.

One might want to consider a two pronged approach instead. A Plan A to modify the current approach and a Plan B to enhance and embrace a new community. Enhance community valuation. Don't destroy it. It will help your own $$$s.

Couldn't agree more...

Old 01-24-2014, 06:40 AM

141 posts, read 171,841 times
Quote:
Oh, my $60K friend.

Snowflakes are fine being bussed over the most efficient routes. Who pays for transportation, grasshopper?

A snowflake I may know and may occasionaly melt, currently gets 1 stop, for 1 street. 2.5 miles or so for 35-40 minutes. Starting at 6:25. Unlike some of the privileged that have 2 buses for a hood.

Yours get what?

I'm ready for a bus efficiency battle how about you?

And I've got private school apps. It's not about valuation, it's about the snowflakes.

Thats my point Sunshine, you seem always ready to do "battle".got to prove your point and be right at the expense of everything else. Most of us on here want whats best for the "Snowflakes", you seem to want efficient snowplows to clear those snowflakes away as quickly as possible

Old 01-24-2014, 06:46 AM

397 posts, read 518,498 times
Wow. Sure wish the folks on the FB boards were reading this...they seem to think it's a slam dunk to NOT redistrict based on Savage and Hodges comments. I hope what Marce is telling people at neighborhood meetings isn't planting false hope. That could do her more harm than good.

Question...if they implement something like dual shifts wouldn't that have to implemented county wide? I cant see the folks in the eastern areas going for that.

Also...re: caps. Someone on FB is pushing for being able to make your "seat" at a school transferable with the sale of your house. That's not legal is it? You can't sell your mortgage rate with your home...

I respect the opinions on here so I thought I would throw it out....

Old 01-24-2014, 06:51 AM

3,521 posts, read 2,233,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Numbers... In addition to new maps, they also added student counts to the distance spreadsheets. Have at it! lol

Prepared enough - clearly it wasn't their first rodeo.

Sitting in the crowd everyone talked among each other... numbers again. I would say the biggest discussion point around me was the impact on home values.
Isn't it just bad luck for the county that they waited until 2015 to schedule the next property revaluation?

Old 01-24-2014, 06:56 AM

5,783 posts, read 8,412,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Isn't it just bad luck for the county that they waited until 2015 to schedule the next property revaluation?
I honestly don't think it matters... they will need Z monies to run the county - so if X (values) drops, they will just increase Y (taxes).

Old 01-24-2014, 07:02 AM

3,521 posts, read 2,233,783 times
Quote:
BoE doesn't care about property value, they care about all the snowflakes within certain budget #s. BoCC might but they control valuation.

Before certain communities go nuclear again, think hard about about what damage one inflicts upon oneself. Short term and long term because it looks like and sounds like $$$s. One's own $$$s. It's not all about the snowflakes is it. A lot of damage was done last week by stabbing yourselves in the back.

One might want to consider a two pronged approach instead. A Plan A to modify the current approach and a Plan B to enhance and embrace a new community. Enhance community valuation. Don't destroy it. It will help your own $$$s.
They should, but it's too late, the cat is out of the bag in relation to real estate values. The word is out and property values will be affected.

Those whose property value will drop due to the redistricting will be wanting to be paying less taxes due to that drop. This means less money for the county which in turn means less money for the schools. Unless of course the county plays right a long and raises the tax rates in order to bring in the same amount of revenue, but this really means a tax increase, since we'll be paying more for something that now has less value.

This was going to happen regardless of what the people do. As for plan B, that will happen, but value won't be restored for awhile. Not much help for people who were expecting to sell in the next 5 years.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:05 AM

397 posts, read 579,173 times
I didn't see anything new on the updated maps. Only blue areas of neighborhoods affected?? Perhaps to show folks that they aren't being singled out - I'm not sure what the purpose was. Regarding slam dunks: I think that the individuals who spoke up last night for alternatives will vote accordingly. But I also think it was quite clear that the alternatives are not in the best interest of the county as a whole and not practical. There were just too many cons for each of them. For something to work it must be just that - feasible.

Last edited by waxhawmom75; 01-24-2014 at 07:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or