U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2014, 07:09 AM

631 posts, read 735,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Isn't it just bad luck for the county that they waited until 2015 to schedule the next property revaluation?
Yes. I believe there are rules/laws written about the timing I'm not 100% positive, but it's not done arbitrarily. It bit a ton of people in 2008 (overpriced right before the crash) and again now. But it's just timing.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:13 AM

985 posts, read 1,648,597 times
Question:
If school A had a rating of 6, and the redistrict causes the school to go to a 9 say in two to three years time, will the property values go back up?
If we are linking schools scores as the primary reason for house value.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:19 AM

397 posts, read 578,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
They should, but it's too late, the cat is out of the bag in relation to real estate values. The word is out and property values will be affected.

Those whose property value will drop due to the redistricting will be wanting to be paying less taxes due to that drop. This means less money for the county which in turn means less money for the schools. Unless of course the county plays right a long and raises the tax rates in order to bring in the same amount of revenue, but this really means a tax increase, since we'll be paying more for something that now has less value.

This was going to happen regardless of what the people do. As for plan B, that will happen, but value won't be restored for awhile. Not much help for people who were expecting to sell in the next 5 years.

Just a thought regarding property values: 1) As has been suggested by many in this thread, the board may be using redistricting to improve the scores at underperforming schools. Ok, so obviously these people believe that their kids will bring up the scores of their new schools, yes? So if that theory proves true, won't the new schools be more desirable as a result and balance out in the end? 2) Why should the BOE care about property values as you have suggested??? Don't they have enough on their plate???
3) If all of this "mess" is due to a mass influx of people moving into the county, why would it be so terrible if the influx lightened up a bit? (although I personally believe that the influx will continue and building of homes will continue to increase) 4) I can see if just a few neighborhoods were being sent to different schools that your theories of massive devaluation may occur in those affected. But if you look at the maps that were released last night, we are not talking about JUST a few neighborhoods!!!!! I just think this will all balance out in the end, folks will realize that the change wasn't nearly as terrible as they expected, and all will continue to flourish in Union County. But I guess that's the optimist in me

Old 01-24-2014, 07:20 AM

5,781 posts, read 8,403,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raithfan View Post
Wow. Sure wish the folks on the FB boards were reading this...they seem to think it's a slam dunk to NOT redistrict based on Savage and Hodges comments. I hope what Marce is telling people at neighborhood meetings isn't planting false hope. That could do her more harm than good.

Question...if they implement something like dual shifts wouldn't that have to implemented county wide? I cant see the folks in the eastern areas going for that.

Also...re: caps. Someone on FB is pushing for being able to make your "seat" at a school transferable with the sale of your house. That's not legal is it? You can't sell your mortgage rate with your home...

I respect the opinions on here so I thought I would throw it out....
I don't know how anyone who sat through that presentation can take away a viable option other than redistricting that will last 5 years. I am looking at it from a cost perspective... Those that are on the caps / trailers train (cheering in the audience when those options were reviewed) seem to miss that it will cost money to do that. 10 trailers were listed as $750k...

If Savage and Hodges can find the money for trailers and justify the spend in the big picture, I think they would get more support. But, if they will just need to cap more schools next year (forecast says they will), which means they have to chase that with more buses and trailers... and cap more schools the year after, chasing with more buses and trailers... how does that make sense?

Transferable seats - LOL.

They need to build new schools.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:23 AM

137 posts, read 164,515 times
Quote:
Wow. Sure wish the folks on the FB boards were reading this...they seem to think it's a slam dunk to NOT redistrict based on Savage and Hodges comments. I hope what Marce is telling people at neighborhood meetings isn't planting false hope. That could do her more harm than good.

Question...if they implement something like dual shifts wouldn't that have to implemented county wide? I cant see the folks in the eastern areas going for that.

Also...re: caps. Someone on FB is pushing for being able to make your "seat" at a school transferable with the sale of your house. That's not legal is it? You can't sell your mortgage rate with your home...

I respect the opinions on here so I thought I would throw it out....
Gotta have more than 2 for it to fail. Based off the definite yes votes and those that have suggested they're strongly leaning that way, I would be completely shocked if redistricting failed. Because being opposed to redistricting would be good politics (at least in the short-term), you would have all of the antis clamoring to get the word out as loudly as possible like Savage and Hodges that they were also opposed. That only those 2 have done so should tell you something.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by First and Ten View Post
If it was such an obvious slam-dunk, why didn't they vote tonight to move forward with it?
Good politics. It's not like they voted to table the discussion until next year. Still waiting on any indication anyone has that anyone besides Hodges and Savage will be voting against redistricting.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:31 AM

7 posts, read 8,732 times
Just hoping that they redraw a few lines(the Glen). It seems silly to drive 25 minutes to a school when there are 2 within 5 minutes. Mileage aside, it takes time to get to those schools at that time in the morning on county roads with a school in between my house and Sun Valley. Not to mention after school activities and club sports start times conflicting with the end of practices at a new school 25 minutes away.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:32 AM

397 posts, read 518,002 times
Perhaps Savage and Hodge could pull the funding for the Dance and Lacrosse teams and use it towards trailers since only their schools offer those sports. I would love to see the "trailers v dancers" fight...

Old 01-24-2014, 07:35 AM

985 posts, read 1,648,597 times
Quote:
Perhaps Savage and Hodge could pull the funding for the Dance and Lacrosse teams and use it towards trailers since only their schools offer those sports. I would love to see the "trailers v dancers" fight...
not true I can speak for lacrosse Weddington, MR, PR, SV, and Cuthbertson all have teams

Old 01-24-2014, 07:39 AM

Also, a word of advice for everyone attending future meetings about redistricting that are opposed to it: If you make a spectacle out of yourself, you're not achieving anything. Laughing at Dr. Ellis or board members, murmuring loudly if someone pro-redistricting says something, standing ovations for the anti-redistricting folks....none of this achieves anything. The board members are all very aware that those in the affected clusters are very much against this. Trying to show them up or embarrass them only makes them that much more eager to vote against your position. I mentioned in this thread that my father was a board member from 1998 to 2006 right? Chairman for two years as well. I can tell you from experience that any emotional outburst from anyone made the board ignore what that person had to say. Do *you* respond well when people scream at you or laugh at you or try to make points as emotionally as possible? So if you speak when you get your three minutes, don't yell at the board or start crying or look showy. Make your case as succinct and logical as possible with facts backing you up at all times. Facts are important: Remember the conspiracy theory that no board member was being redistricted? I believe Yercheck, the CHAIRMAN, confirmed last night that his family was being redistricted as well.

I wish anyone that speaks and is being affected by this luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or