U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2014, 04:16 PM

141 posts, read 172,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawmom75 View Post
I agree with you that the statement last night confused things. I can only hope that it was meant that too MANY trailers impede on safe evacuation, emergency procedures, etc.

but we are splitting hairs if that is the case….i believe the example of a tornado was used….what is an acceptable number of trailers in a tornado instance? Nobody said that 20 or 30 trailers were unsafe, they said mobile units can't be used due to a safety concern….so for how many years its ok, but now they aren't? that is one of many points that is troubling that was presented last night

Old 01-24-2014, 04:31 PM

397 posts, read 580,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First and Ten View Post
but we are splitting hairs if that is the case….i believe the example of a tornado was used….what is an acceptable number of trailers in a tornado instance? Nobody said that 20 or 30 trailers were unsafe, they said mobile units can't be used due to a safety concern….so for how many years its ok, but now they aren't? that is one of many points that is troubling that was presented last night

Yeah, I don't know. It is something that should be addressed/clarified.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:48 PM

451 posts, read 609,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First and Ten View Post
SunshineCJ….concerning the overcrowding issue, do you feel that the cheapest option is the best? No other options should be seriously considered and the prevailing factor comes down to cost?
I got one. Just got to write it down.

Should satisfy the snowflake loving, test score envying, property value obsessed, trailer hugging crowd...

As far as the others with one polished:

1. Multi-Tracking = No, impacts more students and costs more

2. Split-Track = No, impacts more students and costs more

3. K-6 = I may actually be ok with this if it were modified a little, one of the lower cost options and I'm not real sure about costs/$$$s they are using

- ES seats have the most capacity (2,478 seats open)
- MS seats are over capacity and need to be split up
- Redistrict ES's within cluster (some of the Kensington and New Town kids would go to Waxhaw, Waxhaw would split feed Parkwood, Cuthbertson, etc.)
- Add trailers where needed
......Only 6th graders would be in trailers at schools where used to create a 6th grade village away from the younger kids
........6th grade trailer villages include 6th grade media center trailer, band trailer, elective trailers
......NO OTHER TRAILER USE IN THE SYSTEM, only 6th graders and guaranteed for not more than 1 year
......All trailer villages made secure with security fencing
- Option without 6th grade trailer villages
......You could also maybe cluster 5th/6th graders into an existing school like SRES for Marvin Cluster, Waxhaw ES for Cuthbertson, etc., etc. and cut out trailers completely
......Always hated the idea of 6th graders with 8th graders (too much of a difference)
- Middle Schools become Jr. High Schools (7th and 8th grade)
- Create 9th grade Freshman schools at under utilized HS like Parkwood HS, Forest Hills HS, and ???
- High Schools would become Senior High Schools (HS utilized as 9th grade schools would be combined with other HS)
- 5 different bell schedules (ES, 5/6th, Jr HS, 9th, Sr HS)
- Transportation costs are the big unknown and would probably be an issue but it would force clusters together in 9th grade for one big happy community
- Again I haven't modeled it or know the numbers exactly but this might be palatable to all and sort of looks like it might work. Kids may even manage transitions better, who knows
- It's all about fully utilizing seats and buses

4. Build New Schools = No, not going to happen until over half of all schools are near watch levels and total capacity for the system is at or over 100%

5. Build Additions to Schools = No, see build new schools

6. Choice = No, a nice thought but it's not going to move people out of the high test score clusters until the choice schools have higher scores. Costs unknown and would take a couple of years to set up

6. Leave Cap in Place = no, costs too much and actually does affect property values. Doesn't address current overcrowding issues.

7. Add Mobile Classrooms = no, costs too much and well you know how I feel about them even though security issues could be addressed with fencing further increasing costs.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:57 PM

397 posts, read 580,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
I got one. Just got to write it down.

Should satisfy the snowflake loving, test score envying, property value obsessed, trailer hugging crowd...

As far as the others with one polished:

1. Multi-Tracking = No, impacts more students and costs more

2. Split-Track = No, impacts more students and costs more

3. K-6 = I may actually be ok with this if it were modified a little, one of the lower cost options and I'm not real sure about costs/$$$s they are using

- Redistrict ES's within cluster (some of the Kensington and New Town kids would go to Waxhaw, Waxhaw would split feed Parkwood, Cuthbertson, etc.)
......Only 6th graders would be in trailers at schools where used to create a 6th grade village away from the younger kids
........6th grade trailer villages include 6th grade media center trailer, band trailer, elective trailers
......NO OTHER TRAILER USE IN THE SYSTEM, only 6th graders and guaranteed for not more than 1 year
......You could also maybe cluster 5th/6th graders into an existing school like SRES for Marvin Cluster, Waxhaw ES for Cuthbertson, etc., etc. and cut out trailers completely
......Always hated the idea of 6th graders with 8th graders (too much of a difference)
- Create 9th grade Freshman schools at under utilized HS like Parkwood HS, Forest Hills HS, and ???
- High Schools would become Senior High Schools (HS utilized as 9th grade schools would be combined with other HS)
- Transportation costs are the big unknown and would probably be an issue but it would force clusters together in 9th grade for one big happy community
- Again I haven't modeled it or know the numbers exactly but this might be palatable to all and sort of looks like it might work. Kids may even manage transitions better, who knows

4. Build New Schools = No, not going to happen until over half of all schools are near watch levels and total capacity for the system is at or over 100%

5. Build Additions to Schools = No, see build new schools

6. Choice = No, a nice thought but it's not going to move people out of the high test score clusters until the choice schools have higher scores. Costs unknown and would take a couple of years to set up

6. Leave Cap in Place = no, costs too much and actually does affect property values. Doesn't address current overcrowding issues.

7. Add Mobile Classrooms = no, costs too much and well you know how I feel about them even though security issues could be addressed with fencing further increasing costs.

Love the K-6 idea. Agree there is too much difference between 6th and 8th graders. Good ideas. Especially the trailer guidelines for added security and no smaller kids. You are far better with numbers than I am though. Wonder if it could be a feasible consideration.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:00 PM

141 posts, read 172,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawmom75 View Post
Love the K-6 idea. Agree there is too much difference between 6th and 8th graders. Good ideas. Especially the trailer guidelines for added security and no smaller kids. You are far better with numbers than I am though. Wonder if it could be a feasible consideration.
Not to Sunshine, hates winter and snowflakes

Old 01-24-2014, 05:05 PM

5,787 posts, read 8,437,630 times
Quote:

- Again I haven't modeled it or know the numbers exactly but this might be palatable to all and sort of looks like it might work kids may even manage transitions better, who knows
K-6 was the old model when my old arse was in Elem... 7/8 was Middle and 9/12 was High. All the "progressive" schools moved away from it. Even in those beloved, oft mentioned districts from "up North" - they're K-5 now. Exceptions of course.

Ellis was pretty clear that the K-6 choice would need to come with a decision of whether you were treating the 6th graders as Elem students (like the old days) or treating them like Middle (progressive). Curriculum is different depending - days are slightly longer if you choose Middle, lunch and recess would be a scheduling challenge, etc.

For me it would kind of be a step back... especially when everyone around here starts their kids in K at 6. Back in my day when we started K at 5 (with a cut-off much earlier than in December), a 6th grader could be 10 or a very young 11. Nowadays they're all pretty much 12 (or older).

Old 01-24-2014, 05:06 PM

387 posts, read 841,561 times
Quote:

I actually like most of this. Not thrilled about the 9th graders at a separate school though and I think at first glance an issue would be high school sports/activities for the 9th graders. If they were housed at a separate school would they have their own teams and not be part of the rest of the high school? But I would certainly be a little happier with this than a massive redistricting.

I think you should send your suggestion to the BOE.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
K-6 was the old model when my old arse was in Elem... 7/8 was Middle and 9/12 was High. All the "progressive" schools moved away from it. Even in those beloved, oft mentioned districts from "up North" - they're K-5 now. Exceptions of course.

Ellis was pretty clear that the K-6 choice would need to come with a decision of whether you were treating the 6th graders as Elem students (like the old days) or treating them like Middle (progressive). Curriculum is different depending - days are slightly longer if you choose Middle, lunch and recess would be a scheduling challenge, etc.

For me it would kind of be a step back... especially when everyone around here starts their kids in K at 6. Back in my day when we started K at 5 (with a cut-off much earlier than in December), a 6th grader could be 10 or a very young 11. Nowadays they're all pretty much 12 (or older).
Some of those schools have actually gone back. ES/Primary can be lower school and upper school. Even privates do some of this. Winnetka (one of the worst school districts in the country) for example goes K-4, 5-6, 7-8, then onto New Trier HS that has a separate freshman campus.

It would be a big move but better than tracking. There would still be some redistricting.

Not all of us redshirt snowflakes. And some people may have been 5 starting 1st in the good old days with Oct. cut-offs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catonc View Post
I think at first glance an issue would be high school sports/activities for the 9th graders. If they were housed at a separate school would they have their own teams and not be part of the rest of the high school?
Not a big deal, plenty of schools have freshman teams. Just not around here.

If you went to a big enough high school it wasn't unusual to have 4-5 teams in certain sports/activities in HS. Freshman, JV, Varsity Bronze, Varsity Silver, Varsity Gold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catonc View Post
I think you should send your suggestion to the BOE.
I will look at the numbers a little more over the weekend but it would be a big change for the district.

You need to strip away emotions like that's an ES, that's a MS, that's a HS. Nope, it's a building with seats with some limitations obviously. Do with it want you need to. Look at things differently. Think outside the box.

And I can't figure busing #s. They are the only ones with that system. It's producing all the boundary maps, subdivision distance spreadsheets with student counts. It's all in that system. That's why I've said bus routes are so important.

Last edited by SunshineCJ; 01-24-2014 at 05:53 PM..

Old 01-24-2014, 05:52 PM

985 posts, read 1,653,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post

I agree, the age of middle schoolers here is already 12-14 or even 15. Not sure there is a huge difference in 12-14

But my two freshman turned 14 in late October, so I am in a different camp (where we came from my kids were not the youngest either)

Old 01-24-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewith3 View Post
I agree, the age of middle schoolers here is already 12-14 or even 15. Not sure there is a huge difference in 12-14

But my two freshman turned 14 in late October, so I am in a different camp (where we came from my kids were not the youngest either)
A 15 year old middle schooler? Really?

Sounds like I need to redshirt my snowflakes now some how.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or