U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2014, 06:21 PM

386 posts, read 839,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
A 15 year old middle schooler? Really?

Sounds like I need to redshirt my snowflakes now some how.
Me too. My 6th grader is only 11. No wonder he seems so small compare to so many of the other middle schoolers.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:31 PM

985 posts, read 1,649,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catonc View Post
Me too. My 6th grader is only 11. No wonder he seems so small compare to so many of the other middle schoolers.
don't laugh or make jokes it is happening!, I know 5 kids (all boys) 8th graders that finsihed at our middle school (well one finished 7th grade), then took either 8th grade for the one or 9th for the others at a private school or even the 1/2 day homeschooling academy to return to public school the next year to repeat the year they had at the private school or the homeschooling 1/2 day school. Primary reason time to grow/mature for sports.

More are thinking it over and probably going to do the same thing.

for reference mine are a boy and a girl that are freshman and turned 14 in late October, they will not drive until they have started their junior year.

Last edited by uswith6; 01-24-2014 at 06:58 PM..

Old 01-24-2014, 06:38 PM

5,783 posts, read 8,411,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catonc View Post
The redshirting can get pretty extreme, but holding back 5 year olds from Kinder seems to be more the norm now - even if they make the cutoff... Do the math. If kids aren't starting until 6 and turn 7 their K year (which is not that unusual from my experience), they're turning 15 while still in 8th (Middle). But in retrospect that same situation has the 6th grader turning 13. I'm surprised you haven't noticed it before.

It definitely skews the athletic programs.

Back in the day I graduated and started my freshman year in college at 17. Boy how times change.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:44 PM

386 posts, read 839,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewith3 View Post
don't laugh or make jokes it is happenin!, I know 5 kids (all boys) 8th graders that finsihed at our middle school (well one finished 7th grade), then took either 8th grade for the one or 9th for the others at a private school or even the 1/2 day homeschooling academy to return to public school the next year to repeat the year they had at the private school or the homeschooling 1/2 day school. Primary reason time to grow/mature for sports.

More are thinking it over and probably going to do the same thing.

for reference my are a boy and a girl that are freshman and turned 14 in late October, they will not drive until they have started their junior year.
I honestly wasn't joking. I know redshirting happens frequently nowadays as holding back 5 years olds from starting Kindergarten but I guess I didn't realize it was common to do in older kids.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:51 PM

631 posts, read 736,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Back in the day I graduated and started my freshman year in college at 17. Boy how times change.
Ditto. The toughest part of being that young was driving last and then legally drinking last. Especially not being able to get into the bars in college. The upside was I was finished with college and earning $ at a younger age too.

Fortunately, my kids have Nov/Dec birthdays so there wasn't any debate about when to start them.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:55 PM

137 posts, read 164,598 times
Where do you guys want the next new cluster to go? Do you even want a full new cluster? Start with Cuthbertson Elementary and go from there? What about the Porter Ridge area overcrowding? Should the next high school be big enough to easily fit a much larger number of students like they have at CMS?

Old 01-24-2014, 06:55 PM

451 posts, read 608,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Ditto. The toughest part of being that young was driving last and then legally drinking last. Especially not being able to get into the bars in college.
Thank god for grandfathering in certain states. Grandfathering with no transportation for those over 18 but under 21 of course.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:56 PM

137 posts, read 164,598 times
With the redshirting posts, I think you all would be shocked at the number of 19 year olds currently enrolled in UCPS or those that will turn 19 by graduation. There are a TON of them.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:06 PM

631 posts, read 736,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarti78 View Post
Where do you guys want the next new cluster to go? Do you even want a full new cluster? Start with Cuthbertson Elementary and go from there? What about the Porter Ridge area overcrowding? Should the next high school be big enough to easily fit a much larger number of students like they have at CMS?
I'd say out Porter Ridge way and/or something a few miles south of downtown Waxhaw? Just a guess... but... "if you build it, they will come."

Old 01-24-2014, 07:07 PM

5,783 posts, read 8,411,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Ditto. The toughest part of being that young was driving last and then legally drinking last. Especially not being able to get into the bars in college. The upside was I was finished with college and earning $ at a younger age too.

Fortunately, my kids have Nov/Dec birthdays so there wasn't any debate about when to start them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
Thank god for grandfathering in certain states. Grandfathering with no transportation for those over 18 but under 21 of course.
I missed being grandfathered by months... I'd complain, but those were the days of paper licenses with no pictures. Drinking was never an issue. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or