U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2014, 07:13 PM

5,783 posts, read 8,411,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarti78 View Post
Where do you guys want the next new cluster to go? Do you even want a full new cluster? Start with Cuthbertson Elementary and go from there? What about the Porter Ridge area overcrowding? Should the next high school be big enough to easily fit a much larger number of students like they have at CMS?
They should add an Elem in the Southern middle of Cuthbertson and/or consider a new cluster in that super spot where Weddington, Sun Valley, Cuthbertson, Parkwood, and Monroe all just about meet.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:14 PM

985 posts, read 1,649,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarti78 View Post
With the redshirting posts, I think you all would be shocked at the number of 19 year olds currently enrolled in UCPS or those that will turn 19 by graduation. There are a TON of them.
this is true and there are rules on being 19 before a certain date to play high school sports. there has also been talks about reducing it to stop the redshirting for sports reasons

Old 01-24-2014, 10:48 PM

3,521 posts, read 2,233,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post

Ok, but its not over the cap level.

Next...
Yes, we know, SVHS will be a big 6 under Cap level. Wheew! They squeaked that one in, .3% more room vs. 21% more room at CHS.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:40 AM

397 posts, read 579,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Yes, we know, SVHS will be a big 6 under Cap level. Wheew! They squeaked that one in, .3% more room vs. 21% more room at CHS.
Much more expected growth at CHS. Its quite logical to leave more room.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:54 AM

103 posts, read 143,119 times
In light of the increased travel that will be required as a result of redistricting, I think UCPS seriously needs to think about changing school start times especially for K-5. Most K-5 have to get up by 5:45 or 6:00 at the latest to be at the bus stop for their 6:25 p/u. This is ludicrous! Asking a young child to get up at this hour and function early in the morning is crazy. High school first, middle school second and K-5 should be the last to arrive in school. This is the way it is done in most states and most of the children in those states have much shorter bus rides to school.

I think it was Dr. Webb who mentioned the horrow show that is the car rider line at Kensington Elementary. I think we will see this play out across much of the county if they do nothing.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:29 AM

631 posts, read 736,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINYTransplant View Post
In light of the increased travel that will be required as a result of redistricting, I think UCPS seriously needs to think about changing school start times especially for K-5. Most K-5 have to get up by 5:45 or 6:00 at the latest to be at the bus stop for their 6:25 p/u. This is ludicrous! Asking a young child to get up at this hour and function early in the morning is crazy. High school first, middle school second and K-5 should be the last to arrive in school. This is the way it is done in most states and most of the children in those states have much shorter bus rides to school.

I think it was Dr. Webb who mentioned the horrow show that is the car rider line at Kensington Elementary. I think we will see this play out across much of the county if they do nothing.
That makes sense and should definitely be considered. Here's the current bell schedule and they do have some variation across the district.

UCPS - Cluster Bell Schedules

I grew up with the HS, MS and ES timing too. I think it made a lot of sense because it ends the school day earlier for HS and MS where kids typically have more organized activities. Plus for the HS getting out around 2, it offered a lot of kids time to work a part time job. I was flipping burgers.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:09 AM

When we first moved down I raised the flip of the school schedules from what I was used to in other areas - HS earliest to ES latest... I was told that studies show that the younger kids are actually better earlier from a learning perspective, so they want the ES earliest and the HS latest nowadays.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:09 AM

I'm trying to do some analysis on the numbers from the UCPS redistrict site...

Does anyone know why Weddington subdivisions would show "WCES" for so many neighborhoods instead of a student count like all the other clusters?

Is there a place to get Parkwood counts? That's the only cluster that seems to be missing.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:12 AM

397 posts, read 579,104 times
I've always thought this made sense as kids age 5-10yrs need roughly 10-12 hours of sleep and kids 11yrs and up need 8-9 hours. However the older kids usually have more homework, so maybe that's a consideration.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:18 AM

631 posts, read 736,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I'm trying to do some analysis on the numbers from the UCPS redistrict site...

Does anyone know why Weddington subdivisions would show "WCES" for so many neighborhoods instead of a student count like all the other clusters?

Is there a place to get Parkwood counts? That's the only cluster that seems to be missing.
I saw that too. I assume those are ES kids that are staying at Wesley Chapel ES, so not technically "moving" ES, but are being redistricted to SV. It is odd that they don't show the figures because I'm sure a lot of parents would like to see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or