U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-25-2014, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Union County
5,781 posts, read 8,404,807 times
Reputation: 4813

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
I saw that too. I assume those are ES kids that are staying at Wesley Chapel ES, so not technically "moving" ES, but are being redistricted to SV. It is odd that they don't show the figures because I'm sure a lot of parents would like to see it.
Right, got it now - Wesley Chapel ES becomes a feeder to SV and Weddington is down to 2 Elems. I sill wish they gave us numbers to do some analysis on our own.

It's difficult to follow all the changes the way they have proposed this. ugh

EDIT: Were any other Elems switched as a whole?

 
Old 01-25-2014, 11:48 AM
 
19 posts, read 26,119 times
Reputation: 27
Can someone explain why, if Parkwood HS is so far under cap, they are using trailers? That doesn't seem to make sense. Is it because of problems with the building itself being unsafe? I apologize if this has already been asked and answered. Thanks.
 
Old 01-25-2014, 11:52 AM
 
103 posts, read 143,060 times
Reputation: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
That makes sense and should definitely be considered. Here's the current bell schedule and they do have some variation across the district.

UCPS - Cluster Bell Schedules

I grew up with the HS, MS and ES timing too. I think it made a lot of sense because it ends the school day earlier for HS and MS where kids typically have more organized activities. Plus for the HS getting out around 2, it offered a lot of kids time to work a part time job. I was flipping burgers.
I think the only elementary school that has a late start, Sun Valley ES at 8:15am is because of Shiloh ES that starts at 7:30. Schools are next to each other and share the same buses from what I've been told. 8:15am would be a lot better across the board for elementary students especially with the longer bus rides in their future.

As far as the studies are concerned regarding start times for elementary school children- the people conducting that study should try waking a 6 year old at 5:30 in the morning.
 
Old 01-25-2014, 12:09 PM
 
161 posts, read 263,199 times
Reputation: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINYTransplant View Post
I think the only elementary school that has a late start, Sun Valley ES at 8:15am is because of Shiloh ES that starts at 7:30. Schools are next to each other and share the same buses from what I've been told. 8:15am would be a lot better across the board for elementary students especially with the longer bus rides in their future.

As far as the studies are concerned regarding start times for elementary school children- the people conducting that study should try waking a 6 year old at 5:30 in the morning.
My son goes to Weddington Middle and starts at 8:45. My elementary student gets on the bus at 6:40...it is pitch black when she gets on the bus. UGH. Cannot even imagine if they went earlier!
 
Old 01-25-2014, 02:55 PM
 
19 posts, read 26,119 times
Reputation: 27
Sorry. Couldn't edit my last post.....
Can someone explain why, if Parkwood HS is so far under cap, they are using trailers at that school? That doesn't seem to make sense. Is it because of problems with the building itself being unsafe? I apologize if this has already been asked and answered. Thanks.
 
Old 01-25-2014, 06:39 PM
 
631 posts, read 735,561 times
Reputation: 305
I know Mr Stewart took a lot of flack the other night, and rightfully so with many of his questions/comments. However, I find it ironic that a lot of people were very pleased with his comments late last year to the BOCC fighting for the $91 Million.


BOE Member Kevin Stewart speaks at BOCC Public Comments - YouTube

I don't know enough about him to have an opinion, but thought people should know he was once a pawn for some of the commissioners and then turned against them.
 
Old 01-25-2014, 07:12 PM
 
1,031 posts, read 2,143,002 times
Reputation: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
I know Mr Stewart took a lot of flack the other night, and rightfully so with many of his questions/comments. However, I find it ironic that a lot of people were very pleased with his comments late last year to the BOCC fighting for the $91 Million.


BOE Member Kevin Stewart speaks at BOCC Public Comments - YouTube

I don't know enough about him to have an opinion, but thought people should know he was once a pawn for some of the commissioners and then turned against them.
Stewart was "hired" by the BOCC to be on the BOE as they thought he would echo the fact that the BOCC thinks the BOE spends too much money, in foolish ways, like buying laptops, improving education and building schools. Stewart turned somewhat, as you can see in the video, but only slightly. However, he absolutely has an agenda of his own. He is definitely part of the good ol boy, boss hogg element that runs this county. He has been outspoken about what is going on on the west side of the county with regards to the organization and protests regarding the redistricting. BTW he owns/part owns one of the biggest grading & land clearing companies in the county......
 
Old 01-25-2014, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Union County
5,781 posts, read 8,404,807 times
Reputation: 4813
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
Stewart was "hired" by the BOCC to be on the BOE as they thought he would echo the fact that the BOCC thinks the BOE spends too much money, in foolish ways, like buying laptops, improving education and building schools. Stewart turned somewhat, as you can see in the video, but only slightly. However, he absolutely has an agenda of his own. He is definitely part of the good ol boy, boss hogg element that runs this county. He has been outspoken about what is going on on the west side of the county with regards to the organization and protests regarding the redistricting. BTW he owns/part owns one of the biggest grading & land clearing companies in the county......
Considering he lives in Wingate, there's a pretty large swath to the west side. lol

Has he made any public comments about the protests? He would certainly be in favor of development as a land clearer, that's for sure.

I've been looking into the BOCC a bit in context to this lawsuit and funding war of theirs with UCPS... Although they certainly are an issue, the recent article in EJ pulls in the other municipalities to join the party. Waxhaw, Marvin, Wesley Chapel, Indian Trail, etc, etc - are all on the residential train taking school seats. It's rather a mess when the BOCC points at them as contributing to the bulk of the permits and the BOE (or the municipalities) don't seem to have it straight with who is ultimately responsible for the capacity planning mess UCPS is in... As I dig into the numbers more and more it's pretty clear they knew they needed more schools right when the recession hit. The correct thing to do would have been to at least build that 3rd Elem in Cuthbertson (even if the bubble is really in the Middle schools right now)... Now they don't "have" that money anymore and they're trying to play catch-up with re-justifying the additional brick and mortar that is needed... now.
 
Old 01-25-2014, 07:36 PM
 
1,031 posts, read 2,143,002 times
Reputation: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
Stewart was "hired" by the BOCC to be on the BOE as they thought he would echo the fact that the BOCC thinks the BOE spends too much money, in foolish ways, like buying laptops, improving education and building schools. Stewart turned somewhat, as you can see in the video, but only slightly. However, he absolutely has an agenda of his own. He is definitely part of the good ol boy, boss hogg element that runs this county. He has been outspoken about what is going on on the west side of the county with regards to the organization and protests regarding the redistricting. BTW he owns/part owns one of the biggest grading & land clearing companies in the county......
Here's some additional background on Mr. Stewart. Entertaining reading

The Dichotomy of Suck It Up Cupcake The Village Scribe
 
Old 01-25-2014, 07:51 PM
 
631 posts, read 735,561 times
Reputation: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
Stewart was "hired" by the BOCC to be on the BOE as they thought he would echo the fact that the BOCC thinks the BOE spends too much money, in foolish ways, like buying laptops, improving education and building schools. Stewart turned somewhat, as you can see in the video, but only slightly. However, he absolutely has an agenda of his own. He is definitely part of the good ol boy, boss hogg element that runs this county. He has been outspoken about what is going on on the west side of the county with regards to the organization and protests regarding the redistricting. BTW he owns/part owns one of the biggest grading & land clearing companies in the county......
Thanks for the extra info. It's interesting to learn all the facets of this entire situation. While it would be nice to point to any one factor, in reality it's a convoluted mix of so many issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top