Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2014, 08:55 PM

141 posts, read 198,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONYMETS View Post
And you don't have to take my word for it. Ask your builder why it cost so much to build your house in your community? Their answer: because the property value is higher there. Why? Answer: because the county charges more in a desired area.. Desired you ask? Answer: they know the schools are why people want to live in certain areas. Just a fact and that's Nation wide not just here in union county. Being from NY and this might just give my age away but if anyone can remember Jamaica High in NY you know the history there it wasn't a school you wanted your children to go to. It's since then been shut down. Let's just ask everyone a simple question. And think quick on your answer. If you had a choice regardless of money. Would you go to Harvard university or Michigan community college ? And why? On your answer.

Mets, my post was not to be a shot against you. I do appreciate your input. I was being a bit sarcastic with Sunshine….Sunshine passes him or herself off as the ultimate expert in everything Union County….Actually she passes him or herself off as an expert on everything it would seem. Anyone else's posts are "FB cut and pastes" or "propaganda", while Sunshine is the ultimate voice of reason and logic. Case in point, he/she is trying to argue that school district seems to have no effect on property values. To assume it does, would just be feeding into the hysteria and propaganda machine.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:55 PM

631 posts, read 892,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINYTransplant View Post
Houses (comps) on street and working on out to neighborhood homes.

Below copied from Realtor.com:

To decide what to pay for a home (or what to sell yours for) it helps to look at comps – the recent selling prices of nearby homes that are of a similar size, age and condition. Be sure to look for homes very near to yours, not similar homes in different neighborhoods. Everything in the area – from proximity to shopping, quality of schools, crime rate and general neighborhood upkeep – figure into the market value of any given home.

What Can Negatively Affect House Values in My Area?

Plenty of things can lower home values in any given neighborhood:

Condition of the houses. Do your neighbors maintain their homes well, or are their lawns overgrown with weeds and their yards full of junk cars and decrepit appliances?

Condition of the streets. Does your city/county/homeowners association maintain your streets well, or are they pocked with potholes? Do they drain well during spring rains? Are they plowed frequently enough in the winter? Are there sidewalks or bike paths?

Crime. How does crime in your neighborhood stack up with rates around the city? Are the police responsive to problems? Do you have a Neighborhood Watch in place, showing that neighbors work together and take crime seriously?

Schools. How are test scores in the schools where your neighborhood’s kids go? (Remember, with constant school redistricting, sometimes the school around the corner is NOT the one where kids in your area go; they may have to go to another school.) Are the schools overcrowded? Are they old and in need of repair or expansion or updating? Are there discipline problems?

Zoning. Will all the neighborhood streets remain quiet, or does the city or county have plans to widen streets to accommodate more traffic – using your neighborhood as a path from one side of town to another? Will that block of decrepit homes nearby be redeveloped into pretty new houses, or will your city put a strip mall or convention center or low-income apartments there?
Excellent source! It looks like a variety of factors impact value. For the time being let's assume our houses are in good condition, the streets are clear, low crime in our neighborhoods, and we have stable zoning.

That leaves schools with several factors. Overcrowded is listed. So are school repairs and updating. It seems the current plan will relieve overcrowding and this definitely got everyones attention to fix the current schools. Let's add in the by-product (some view as a conspiracy theory) of increased test scores at other schools.

Those 3 things should increase values correct? Am I reading this analysis correctly?

Old 01-26-2014, 08:57 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,427,149 times
Interesting paper done years ago by National Bureau of Economic Research on the impact of redistricting and housing values. It's not bedside reading but interesting. They used Charmeck's desegregation of the 1970's - 2000 as a study model. It's worth a read if you like reading stuffy white papers (I do). The net is that redistricting does impact housing value albeit in a more indirect way.

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~dstaiger/P...BERwp11347.pdf

Old 01-26-2014, 09:05 PM

98 posts, read 165,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First and Ten View Post
Mets, my post was not to be a shot against you. I do appreciate your input. I was being a bit sarcastic with Sunshine….Sunshine passes him or herself off as the ultimate expert in everything Union County….Actually she passes him or herself off as an expert on everything it would seem. Anyone else's posts are "FB cut and pastes" or "propaganda", while Sunshine is the ultimate voice of reason and logic. Case in point, he/she is trying to argue that school district seems to have no effect on property values. To assume it does, would just be feeding into the hysteria and propaganda machine.
I know it wasn't. Just wanted to put out there that it's a simple question where you would want to go and why. It's kind of the same thing when we all moved to charlotte you could say. Why did we pick union county and not say um the area of Central ave and east way? It's a nice area with good schools I hear?

Old 01-26-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Excellent source! It looks like a variety of factors impact value. For the time being let's assume our houses are in good condition, the streets are clear, low crime in our neighborhoods, and we have stable zoning.

That leaves schools with several factors. Overcrowded is listed. So are school repairs and updating. It seems the current plan will relieve overcrowding and this definitely got everyones attention to fix the current schools. Let's add in the by-product (some view as a conspiracy theory) of increased test scores at other schools.

Those 3 things should increase values correct? Am I reading this analysis correctly?

Logical, i noticed you highlighted the "overcrowding" sentence, but seemed to miss the first sentence "How are the test scores". I don't want to assume anything so i will ask, are you in favor of redistricting to possibly increase test scores in other schools?

Old 01-26-2014, 09:18 PM

Something very interesting i found on that "conspiracy" site (FB). I deleted the persons name, i didn't want to list it, but the person did post their name. It was in regard to the BOE claiming not enough $$$$ for mobile classrooms or the other options that were offered but dismissed as costing too much….Sunshine will probably dismiss it as propaganda:

From: Richard B. Helms [mailto:richard.helms@co.union.nc.us]
Sent: Friday, January 24, 2014 12:36 PM
To:
Subject: RE: Redistricting

M*.********, thank you for taking time to share your concerns. I agree that redistricting is not the answer. They have numerous other options. As for the funds, according to they own last audit they have $18 million dollars in fund balance and since July 1st we have given them an additional $8+ million. With $26 million in funds, I do not agree that they need money. Above the $26 million that they have, we have just committed to give an additional $9 million to make sure the roofs get fixed.

I would suggest that you go to the BOE and ask why these funds are not being used to protect our children. They have plenty of funds to address roofs and redistricting.

Richard B. Helms Sr.

Union County Commissioner

500 N. Main Street

Monroe, NC 28112

Phone: 704-283-3810

Mobile: 704-576-3357

Fax: 704-282-0121

Richard.Helms@co.union.nc.us

Old 01-26-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Logical, i noticed you highlighted the "overcrowding" sentence, but seemed to miss the first sentence "How are the test scores". I don't want to assume anything so i will ask, are you in favor of redistricting to possibly increase test scores in other schools?
I highlighted the ones we haven't talked about as much around property values that also need to be fixed. I did mention test scores and while I do hope the average school scores rise, I'd rather see each students individual score rise more.

I am honestly not "for" redistricting. I'm against overcrowded schools. I see year round tracks as a viable solution, but don't think it will gain enough favor. So no. I wouldn't redistrict just to increase scores. I'm focused on the other problem - overcrowding.

Last edited by TooLogical; 01-26-2014 at 09:54 PM..

Old 01-26-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Back to my original question. Won't relieving the over crowding and fixing the needed repairs and upgrades increase property values? That was part of the article you posted. I'm making sure we are looking at everything and not singling out one stand alone line item.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:22 AM

397 posts, read 664,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post

Seems logical to me!

Old 01-27-2014, 02:36 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Thought it sounds like splitting hairs it's important to note that all houses in Union county are in the same school district. i.e. Union County Public Schools. What is being talked about here is school assignment within that school district. These can potentially change every single year because it is a county wide system with many schools. I think because of that, it has very limited impact on real estate values. People choose the UC system in part, because they want to avoid the CMS district. This is where the real estate value comes from.

Where school district becomes real important for real estate values is in a place like York county, Iredell, or Cabarrus where there are different school districts within the same county. Mooresville for example has its own school district. Students there can't be reassigned to Troutman or Statesville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte