U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2014, 06:04 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,145,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Back to my original question. Won't relieving the over crowding and fixing the needed repairs and upgrades increase property values? That was part of the article you posted. I'm making sure we are looking at everything and not singling out one stand alone line item.
This comment, like so many other things in this thread is pure speculation. Empirical evidence has shown that a redistricting like the one proposed by UCPS will have an impact on the property values of those being redistricted. It isn't in the boards charter to consider that, but it is a reality.

Waxhawmom called me naive and elitist because I wanted my kids to be in the best environment possible for them to have the best learning experience possible. I believe that it is also naive to think that the economic impact of redistricting of some ~150 neighborhoods in parts of the county where the largest amount of growth won't be affected. Bottom line is that no one wants to go from a state titled, school of excellence to a title 1 school. The reasons to do so are irrelevant, the amount of spin you put on it is irrelevant.

Have you all seen the Zillow commercial that is out now? I'm sure you can find in on YouTube should you look for it. The mom is looking for a house and is skyping the dad who is deployed. About 10 seconds into the commercial the dad says, "Look at the school rating" and the house is immediately crossed off the list. If you don't think that schools are connected to property values and in turn resale values, stick around because in 2-3 years from now, when they have to do this all over again, you might have different perspective.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:09 AM

451 posts, read 608,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First and Ten View Post
Something very interesting i found on that "conspiracy" site (FB). I deleted the persons name, i didn't want to list it, but the person did post their name. It was in regard to the BOE claiming not enough $$$$ for mobile classrooms or the other options that were offered but dismissed as costing too much….Sunshine will probably dismiss it as propaganda:

From: Richard B. Helms [mailto:richard.helms@co.union.nc.us]
Sent: Friday, January 24, 2014 12:36 PM
To:
Subject: RE: Redistricting

M*.********, thank you for taking time to share your concerns. I agree that redistricting is not the answer. They have numerous other options. As for the funds, according to they own last audit they have $18 million dollars in fund balance and since July 1st we have given them an additional $8+ million. With $26 million in funds, I do not agree that they need money. Above the $26 million that they have, we have just committed to give an additional $9 million to make sure the roofs get fixed.

I would suggest that you go to the BOE and ask why these funds are not being used to protect our children. They have plenty of funds to address roofs and redistricting.

Richard B. Helms Sr.

Union County Commissioner

500 N. Main Street

Monroe, NC 28112

Phone: 704-283-3810

Mobile: 704-576-3357

Fax: 704-282-0121

Richard.Helms@co.union.nc.us
So in addition to wanting me to do property value comp analysis you want me to do fund accounting analysis of the UCPS.

So I will go find out why an entity has a $300M budget had an $18M balance which became $26M (in what category?, in what fund?) in their audited financials at a particular date. Then I will have to explain fund accounting and restricted accounts which is not fun. Then I will have to explain what fund or account trailer money would come from and what that would impact.

Not only is the spin and propaganda coming from the FB forensic accounting crowd. Now we have a BoCC member spouting this.

If the UCPS had so much money for repairs why did the BoCC just give them an additional $9M?

Oh wait, it was because of identified roofing repairs that were deemed to be urgent and the BoCC is responsible for funding capital outlays including roofing repairs. Which was one of the reasons for the lawsuit in the first place.

http://www.co.union.nc.us/Portals/0/...021%202014.pdf

Hey why not just petition the BoCC for trailer money? They just gave up an additional $9M for fixing roofs including those at schools that have open seats (i.e. Parkwood HS). Let's see where that goes.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:20 AM

2,341 posts, read 4,048,227 times
The negative energy given to this issue is amazing to me.

If people spent half as much time working with the schools that they are spending protesting/creating conspiracy theories etc, there wouldn't be such disparities (if there are any real disparities).

Geesh!

Old 01-27-2014, 06:24 AM

141 posts, read 171,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Back to my original question. Won't relieving the over crowding and fixing the needed repairs and upgrades increase property values? That was part of the article you posted. I'm making sure we are looking at everything and not singling out one stand alone line item.

Again, my opinion, relieving overcrowding won't necessarily increase property values for everyone. Lets use Marvin. If a person is remaining in the MR district after redistricting, i think that house actually has a chance to go up in value as you can research it will be a "10" and the student-teacher ratio will go down, which will be more appealing to those potential buyers researching the area…..Now, if you take a house that is currently in a school that is a 9 or 10 and they are moving to a significantly lower ranked school, yes, i do believe there will be a decrease in that homeowners property values. I have seen the arguments on how these rankings are false, but the fact remains that people do use them when doing research and it would seem to indicate they are a very big factor

Old 01-27-2014, 06:25 AM

451 posts, read 608,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
Earlier today I was at the store and ran into a friend that had just moved. I asked them if they were impacted by the redistricting and they said "no, we rent so we can just move again".

Darn shame that people invested in the county get screwed while renters and newcomers skate on by.
Property owner pays property taxes, renters pay rent, portion of rent is actually property tax. No one is skating by.

Smart people do often rent. It's a classic breakeven analysis.

To calculate whether renting or buying a home costs less, take the following steps:

Calculate the average rent and for-sale price for an identical set of properties. Estimate prices and rents for similar homes in similar neighborhoods in order get a direct apples-to-apples comparison. Do NOT just comparing the average rent and average price of homes on the market, which would be misleading because rental and for-sale properties are very different: most importantly, for-sale homes are roughly 50% bigger, on average, than rentals.

Calculate the initial total monthly costs of owning and renting, including maintenance, insurance, and taxes.

Calculate the future total monthly costs of owning and renting, taking into account price and rent appreciation as well as inflation.

Factor in one-time costs and proceeds, like closing costs, downpayment, sales proceeds, and security deposits.

Calculate the net present value to account for opportunity cost of money.

Here are a couple great calculators/articles on the subject.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/b...ator.html?_r=0

Rising Mortgage Rates Narrowing Buy vs. Rent Gap - Forbes

https://www.khanacademy.org/economic...ailed-analysis

Beyond this there are many times when one should rent instead of buying.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:29 AM

397 posts, read 579,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
This comment, like so many other things in this thread is pure speculation. Empirical evidence has shown that a redistricting like the one proposed by UCPS will have an impact on the property values of those being redistricted. It isn't in the boards charter to consider that, but it is a reality.

Waxhawmom called me naive and elitist because I wanted my kids to be in the best environment possible for them to have the best learning experience possible. I believe that it is also naive to think that the economic impact of redistricting of some ~150 neighborhoods in parts of the county where the largest amount of growth won't be affected. Bottom line is that no one wants to go from a state titled, school of excellence to a title 1 school. The reasons to do so are irrelevant, the amount of spin you put on it is irrelevant.

Have you all seen the Zillow commercial that is out now? I'm sure you can find in on YouTube should you look for it. The mom is looking for a house and is skyping the dad who is deployed. About 10 seconds into the commercial the dad says, "Look at the school rating" and the house is immediately crossed off the list. If you don't think that schools are connected to property values and in turn resale values, stick around because in 2-3 years from now, when they have to do this all over again, you might have different perspective.
Woah, waxhawmom never called you those names and certainly never in that context. Would never put anyone down for wanting the best for their children. May have said that some parents are acting entitled to think they somehow are owed a guaranteed seat at their chosen school. Also may have said that some folks are naive as to what ALL high schools hold inside their walls.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawmom75 View Post
Woah, waxhawmom never called you those names and certainly never in that context. Would never put anyone down for wanting the best for their children. May have said that some parents are acting entitled to think they somehow are owed a guaranteed seat at their chosen school. Also may have said that some folks are naive as to what ALL high schools hold inside their walls.
It was a direct response to my post. I'm pretty sure that I read it the way you wrote and intended it.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post

If people spent half as much time working with the schools that they are spending protesting/creating conspiracy theories etc, there wouldn't be such disparities (if there are any real disparities).

Geesh!
Kids affected by this?

Old 01-27-2014, 06:46 AM

5,874 posts, read 7,714,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Thought it sounds like splitting hairs it's important to note that all houses in Union county are in the same school district. i.e. Union County Public Schools. What is being talked about here is school assignment within that school district. These can potentially change every single year because it is a county wide system with many schools. I think because of that, it has very limited impact on real estate values. People choose the UC system in part, because they want to avoid the CMS district. This is where the real estate value comes from.
Well I think this situation has revealed that UCPS isn't a whole lot different from CMS. They both have good schools, average schools, and below average schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by First and Ten View Post
Again, my opinion, relieving overcrowding won't necessarily increase property values for everyone. Lets use Marvin. If a person is remaining in the MR district after redistricting, i think that house actually has a chance to go up in value as you can research it will be a "10" and the student-teacher ratio will go down, which will be more appealing to those potential buyers researching the area…..Now, if you take a house that is currently in a school that is a 9 or 10 and they are moving to a significantly lower ranked school, yes, i do believe there will be a decrease in that homeowners property values. I have seen the arguments on how these rankings are false, but the fact remains that people do use them when doing research and it would seem to indicate they are a very big factor
The homes still in the MR/Cuthbertson/Weddington zones will keep their higher values and those schools have no reason for their scores to go down. Sure, the values of homes going from Cuthbertson to Parkwood might decrease, but if the scores at Parkwood then go up, then the values will go back up again (albeit who knows if they will reach their previous levels). But if that happens then you also have values going up for homes that went to Parkwood all along, so in the end it's probably an overall positive for the county. So basically the argument of "the county should care about my property values because that means less tax revenue for them" really holds no water.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:48 AM

141 posts, read 171,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post

Geesh!

Actually Baybrook, i think that is one of the reasons people are so upset. People have worked with their present schools. Poured a lot of volunteer time, effort and their personal $$$$ into a school to help make it what it is today. Now they feel the BOE is essentially saying "Thanks for your time and effort, but we are moving you out, and the people taking your spot don't even live here yet….have fun at your new school" (yes i am being a bit simplistic, i hope you get the drift)….we could debate for hours WHY there is a disparity in schools based on "Ratings" and whether they are valid or not. But the fact remains there are ratings, and it would seem that is one of the first things people look at in their research on what house to purchase in a given area and it has a direct effect on the price of the house/property
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or