U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2014, 10:28 AM

386 posts, read 839,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
I'm curious to hear this boards views on the options the BOE presented last week. We don't all agree, but everyone here offers a lot of great discussion, intelligent opinion, and information that makes for a good debate. We can do an informal poll.

Please pick your top four. Don't rank them and pick ONLY FOUR. No comments or opinions about why you picked them. Just pick 4. When we have enough responses I'll post totals and then we can discuss. I wonder if there are any that we collectively agree upon.

- Multi-Track (4 year round programs)
- Split-Track (half days)
- Change K-5 to K-6
- Build New Schools
- Build Additions to Schools
- Choice Schools/Programs
- Leave Caps
- Add Mobile Classrooms
- Redistrict

Thanks!

Leave caps
multi track
change K-5 to K-6
add mobile classrooms

Old 01-27-2014, 10:29 AM

5,872 posts, read 7,712,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
What's the time frame for this even out process? 1 year, 5 years, 20 years, ever? How much revenue did the county loose in that time frame from this mismanagement?

Other factors like location will always keep eastern Union county home values lower than those in the west. Who's to say the value of the swath of homes affected by redistricting in the middle 1/3 of the county will ever recover?
Contrary to what some apparently may think, there isn't an unlimited number of seats at MR/Cuthbertson/Weddington. Sure they may have some empty ones for a couple years, but they will be filled and the county will get the tax revenue from those homes.

But that's only 3 schools. Even if Parkwood and Sun Valley don't get to the level of those 3, a test score boost will surely make them more desirable places to live than they are now.

And at some point, they will probably need to build new schools. And maybe some of those sent from Cuthbertson to Parkwood will be sent to a new school (although no, having to switch again probably wouldn't be fun but if it's to a new school that is closer I don't think they'd mind), so if all the students at Cuthbertson are as smart as their parents are saying, that could add a 4th top-ranked HS to the county. So as far as property values go, I think there is a far greater chance of either their newly assigned school becoming more desirable or there eventually being a new school built that will also be desirable than there is of the newly assigned school maintaining it's current rating which isn't even that bad to begin with.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:40 AM

629 posts, read 1,471,891 times
Quote:
I'm curious to hear this boards views on the options the BOE presented last week. We don't all agree, but everyone here offers a lot of great discussion, intelligent opinion, and information that makes for a good debate. We can do an informal poll.

Please pick your top four. Don't rank them and pick ONLY FOUR. No comments or opinions about why you picked them. Just pick 4. When we have enough responses I'll post totals and then we can discuss. I wonder if there are any that we collectively agree upon.

- Change K-5 to K-6
- Build New Schools
- Leave Caps
- Add Mobile Classrooms
- Redistrict

Thanks!

Redistrict
Build additions to schools
Build new schools
k-5 to k-6

Old 01-27-2014, 10:41 AM

631 posts, read 736,674 times
Thanks for the quick responses on the survey everyone! I'll wait a day or two in hopes of gathering more opinions.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:41 AM

137 posts, read 164,661 times
I advise people to take anything any county commissioner says with a grain of salt when it comes to the BOE. The two boards are sadly like the Hatfields and McCoys at this point.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:44 AM

137 posts, read 164,661 times
Quote:

- Change K-5 to K-6
- Build New Schools
- Leave Caps
- Add Mobile Classrooms
- Redistrict

Thanks!
Redistrict
Choice (in principle at least, don't think it would work in UC)
New Schools (too far off, but this is ultimately where we're going)
Multi-track (the best of the nonsensical ones I guess)

Most are complete nonsense though

Old 01-27-2014, 10:52 AM

141 posts, read 171,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarti78 View Post
Redistrict
Choice (in principle at least, don't think it would work in UC)
New Schools (too far off, but this is ultimately where we're going)
Multi-track (the best of the nonsensical ones I guess)

Most are complete nonsense though

i would be curious to know which ones you think are "complete nonsense" and why?

Old 01-27-2014, 11:17 AM

631 posts, read 736,674 times
HEY! Stop breaking the rules!!!

rmarti and 1st&10, we'll get to the discussions later. Let's see where we collectively stand first.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:24 AM

31 posts, read 40,343 times
Quote:

- Change K-5 to K-6
- Build New Schools
- Leave Caps
- Add Mobile Classrooms
- Redistrict

Thanks!

Build New Schools (Not realistic at the moment. Redistricting seems to setting the foundation for this because the BOE can not even ask for this until ALL clusters are being utilized at a certain level of efficiency. Also, looking at all the data, PW and SV will be close to max within 2 years, making a new cluster in the Wesley Chapel area seem to make sense. The lower % for Cuthbertson now is to allow for the expected and continued growth in the foreseeable future, which isn't going away unless the municipalities and BOCC put controls on the builders, which will never happen.)

Build Additions to Schools (See above, I would also envision seeing a new elementary being built at Cuthbertson and Newtown Elementary going to a new Wesley Chapel cluster after a new HS/MS/ES are built there.)

Multi-track (Best of a bad set of remaining options. This ends up potentially affecting the entire district, versus the current 5,800+ and introducing a whole other set of issues that would have to be dealt with.)

Redistrict (with any possible tweaks that can be done without the whole thing collapsing, very subjective)

On the new schools option, one thing I haven't seen mentioned yet, is there is so much outrage at redistricting, yet some of the same people advocating that option would then potentially be put into any new cluster, thus causing the same issues that are being debated now. Is the difference in outrage because the "new" school doesn't have a rating that people can attack? They just don't build new schools and start populating it with kids that move into the area after it opens. I still think there was a bit of panic back in 2008 when the Cuthbertson cluster was created because of the economy/housing collapse and why so many areas in the Parkwood cluster were put into Cuthbertson initially. When CHS/CMS/CES were being planned, I bet the thinking was way different then when they were completed. Part of that is verified by the fact that they didn't build the elementary.

Bottom-line, nobody could have predicted what happened in 08-09, if they could have, everyone would have sold their homes and moved into rentals. What we seem to be dealing with now is an after affect from then compounded by all growth explosion that has happened (again) in the last couple years, so not only do they need to fix the previous redistricting, they have to expand it, thus the magnitude of it all.

Last edited by RDB1905; 01-27-2014 at 12:24 PM..

Old 01-27-2014, 11:32 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,051,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First and Ten View Post
But here is the problem with the reasoning….i believe it was Mr Stewart who said it was a safety concern, and if that is the real reason then under NO circumstances should they be used (if you agree with his reasoning). In fact, they were and are being used for the past decade (at least). I believe he is being less than genuine to throw out that safety concern now, to try and bolster the redistricting argument
Its not that they can't use trailers, its that they can't to go over core capacity. There is a big difference with getting two trailers worth of students into a school during a tornado, and getting 27. Do you want your kid to be the last kid in line in trailer #27? I don't. And it is just not ideal, so you reduce it to the best of your ability. Whats the point of protecting 90 percent of your students with locked doors, armed police officers, and requesting ids and background checks for visitors, when you literally have trailer kids roaming next to parking lots when they have to go pee?
Quote:
I wonder if the people circulating the online survey via Facebook have any idea how lopsided the questions are and how biased their audience is? It adds no value to the case to stop redistricting because of these flaws.

Some of the wording on the questions read like this: (edit: this is just an exaggeration, but conveys the tone of the survey)
How much do you hate redistricting?
a) a lot
b) a really lot
c) a really really really lot

If anyone knows who published it, please let them know they'd be better off making it a more neutral survey and trying to include more of the county in their responses. If they plan on presenting it to the BOE, they will need more credibility.

2014 Union County Public Schools Redistricting Plan - Resident Opinion Survey
LMAO, that is exactly what I thought. And then they go so far as to write emails to board members with their asinine plans and say that the whole county is behind them because they got 15 "likes".

Quote:

- Change K-5 to K-6
- Build New Schools
- Leave Caps
- Add Mobile Classrooms
- Redistrict

Thanks!
Multi track (only elementary)
Choice school (including moving ib program)
K-6
Redistrict (reduced)

But I can't debate this with an intelligent opinion, because I don't have facts. I can tell you without a doubt I believe firmly that we don't build new schools when existing schools have available seats, but that is all I can form an opinion on, as I don't have adequate information on the restructuring options.

The presentation was inadequate. On ALL of the options, they said, it doesn't include this, it doesn't include that, redistricting didn't include additional transportation costs, etc. I get that they are focusing on county tax expenses, because the rest of it is paid from other sources.....but they are STILL accountable for the spending of my state and federal money!!! Give us all the facts.... if the amount we are paying for electricity in year around schools equals the amount we are paying for extra gas, then it IS, an alternative. I don't care what pot you get it out of, all those pots are filled with MY money.
Now, I can guesstimate, based on just numbers in my head, that those numbers aren't close to each other...but, I shouldn't have to guess, they should be there in black and white for us to intelligently discuss and be able to make an informed opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or