Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2014, 06:53 AM

141 posts, read 198,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whxwlvr View Post
I would imagine if this is your analysis, then you did indeed paid too much for your house and the loss in value has nothing to do with redistricting, but rather your inability to understand the basic principles when determining a home's worth.

Since you seem to be a "Expert" in the housing field, why don't i lat it out for you and you let me know your opinion. I paid $360K for my house…..currently the comps in my neighborhood for like houses put its value at around $345K….I have a few friends that are realtors, and after the redistricting announcements came out, we were talking….when 3 realtors tell you in effect "If you sold your house prior, you could get between $340 - $350K, if this redistricting takes effect, you would be lucky to get $280K - $290K"….well, that would tell me that from a financial standpoint, thats a $60K difference…..Since you seem to have an issue with my basic math skills, why don't you weigh in and correct me oh wise one

Old 01-28-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDB1905 View Post
I never mentioned whether anyone should be upset or not. Probably everyone should be upset, from the people that have been moved 3 times already, the people who never heard the term "redistricting" prior to two weeks ago all the way to the people who were sitting at their computer in the Northeast or Midwest freezing their a&&es off this weekend asking themselves, "What about this Union County area by Charlotte as a place to live...". Godspeed to all, but especially the last group who probably don't have the first clue what is going on.

You seem to be implying there is some level of entitlement to those of us that have put time and money into a particular school. At a given point and time, I agree with you and it is a source of pride. Unfortunately, we don't live in a point a time, but a continuum of time where events take place and the basic underpinnings of our environment change, this is especially true of a county that is considered one of the 20th fastest growing in the country and is changing on a yearly basis. I also don't believe anyone has ever signed anything when they closed on their home stating they would remain in the same cluster indefinitely (or at least until their children made it through the system). You point out the progression of Weddington->Marvin Ridge->Cuthbertson. Seems after the initial shock, all those schools fared quite well. I would guess much of the conversation was the same as today, especially with the creation of the Cuthbertson cluster (there are actually some posts in city-data.com from 2008 discussing this). Again, Cuthbertson had a rating of zero in the beginning, did anyone know that it would attain the same level as Weddington and Marvin Ridge in its first year? Probably not. It is the teachers and students that make the rating, not the brick and mortar they are learning in or the name on the outside of the building.

Unfortunately, the argument of "for people that don't live here yet" is quite hollow. I have been here a while and others longer and shorter. Who is to decide when enough is enough? Why was Marvin Ridge built? For all the newcomers in the early 2000's. Why was Cuthbertson built? For all the newcomers in the mid 2000's. This is simply the next round. They are not building an empty school in the middle of an empty cluster and then waiting for homes to be built to populate it. They build the schools when the new growth + the expected growth push the system to certain thresholds. Right now there is an imbalance amongst the clusters in terms of efficiency of facilities, with some being over and some under utilized. As I said before, it seems there is the push to distribute across the schools through redistricting to maximize facility efficiency while relieving some of the strain from the capped schools in the near term. Growth is projected to continue at least at its current pace and with no other options left, new schools will have to be built. I still theorize that the Cuthberston elementary will get built and then a Wesley Chapel ES/MS/HS cluster will be created and then augmented by Newtown Elementary. Finally, nothing is going to get built until our taxes go up and that will only happen once ALL clusters are within an accepted efficiency. Can you imagine the screaming about the taxes going up when some of the clusters are being under utilized? Even if we could magically drop a new cluster from the sky today, where would you put it and what thousands of kids would you move to occupy it? Same damn problem.

My point is all of the options and variations of the options have potentially significant downsides and all have costs associated with them and every individual is going to focus on the downside(s) that is(are) important to them and we could debate and inflate them until the end of time. If there was better cooperation and coordination by the BOE, BOCC and Municipalities we wouldn't be in such a drastic situation that we are today. But that didn't happen because nobody likes to upset the gravy train and therefore where are where we are. All we can do now is assess the situation, get as many facts as we can and make the most sound, logical and lasting decision possible. In parallel, a sound strategic plan needs to be put together to provide a solid path for the next 5 to 10 years to identify the goals of the Union County Educational system and what the BOE, BCC and Municipalities can do to achieve those goals. Last, but certainly not least, the people who vote and pay the taxes to these "chosen" leaders, need to think twice about who they are voting for in the primaries and general elections and put a little more thought into what some of the individuals stand for.
RDB….first off, i want to say, awesome post…..well thought out and message conveyed. Just a few points and would be interested to know your thoughts….your point about "entitlement". I would disagree as from my perspective (yes, i do agree some people feel entitled). I don't know if people feel "entitled" to Cuthbertson in the sense of "we are better than the others", but i do think there is some emotional attachment, due to the situation of when that school opened. Onto the points about redistricting/new schools. If i read your post right, its ok to move families based on projections of future growth. So its ok to move families for people that aren't even here yet. Lets go with that premise….we can remove students based on a prospect of we will be crowded in 2,3,4,5 yrs, BUT, we won't build schools based on those same forecasts? So i ask you, from a social standpoint, do you think its good shuttling students 3,4,5,6 times to multiple schools? I am in total agreement that the purpose of school is first and foremost Education….BUT, there is a social aspect to school that is very important as well…..friends, sports teams, clubs….i don't think its good that you keep shuttling kids all over the county….Redistricting is supposed to alleviate overcrowding, yet, at SVHS, the population will increase to over 100% after this goes thru. This will be the 3rd school in 7 yrs for some families. Now, if we want to take the strict business standpoint and look at the "snowflakes" (that term still kills me, i do like it, lol) as numbers on a spreadsheet, you can do that. i personally just don't agree with that approach

Old 01-28-2014, 07:56 AM

397 posts, read 664,491 times
Quote:
I never mentioned whether anyone should be upset or not. Probably everyone should be upset, from the people that have been moved 3 times already, the people who never heard the term "redistricting" prior to two weeks ago all the way to the people who were sitting at their computer in the Northeast or Midwest freezing their a&&es off this weekend asking themselves, "What about this Union County area by Charlotte as a place to live...". Godspeed to all, but especially the last group who probably don't have the first clue what is going on.

You seem to be implying there is some level of entitlement to those of us that have put time and money into a particular school. At a given point and time, I agree with you and it is a source of pride. Unfortunately, we don't live in a point a time, but a continuum of time where events take place and the basic underpinnings of our environment change, this is especially true of a county that is considered one of the 20th fastest growing in the country and is changing on a yearly basis. I also don't believe anyone has ever signed anything when they closed on their home stating they would remain in the same cluster indefinitely (or at least until their children made it through the system). You point out the progression of Weddington->Marvin Ridge->Cuthbertson. Seems after the initial shock, all those schools fared quite well. I would guess much of the conversation was the same as today, especially with the creation of the Cuthbertson cluster (there are actually some posts in city-data.com from 2008 discussing this). Again, Cuthbertson had a rating of zero in the beginning, did anyone know that it would attain the same level as Weddington and Marvin Ridge in its first year? Probably not. It is the teachers and students that make the rating, not the brick and mortar they are learning in or the name on the outside of the building.

Unfortunately, the argument of "for people that don't live here yet" is quite hollow. I have been here a while and others longer and shorter. Who is to decide when enough is enough? Why was Marvin Ridge built? For all the newcomers in the early 2000's. Why was Cuthbertson built? For all the newcomers in the mid 2000's. This is simply the next round. They are not building an empty school in the middle of an empty cluster and then waiting for homes to be built to populate it. They build the schools when the new growth + the expected growth push the system to certain thresholds. Right now there is an imbalance amongst the clusters in terms of efficiency of facilities, with some being over and some under utilized. As I said before, it seems there is the push to distribute across the schools through redistricting to maximize facility efficiency while relieving some of the strain from the capped schools in the near term. Growth is projected to continue at least at its current pace and with no other options left, new schools will have to be built. I still theorize that the Cuthberston elementary will get built and then a Wesley Chapel ES/MS/HS cluster will be created and then augmented by Newtown Elementary. Finally, nothing is going to get built until our taxes go up and that will only happen once ALL clusters are within an accepted efficiency. Can you imagine the screaming about the taxes going up when some of the clusters are being under utilized? Even if we could magically drop a new cluster from the sky today, where would you put it and what thousands of kids would you move to occupy it? Same damn problem.

My point is all of the options and variations of the options have potentially significant downsides and all have costs associated with them and every individual is going to focus on the downside(s) that is(are) important to them and we could debate and inflate them until the end of time. If there was better cooperation and coordination by the BOE, BOCC and Municipalities we wouldn't be in such a drastic situation that we are today. But that didn't happen because nobody likes to upset the gravy train and therefore where are where we are. All we can do now is assess the situation, get as many facts as we can and make the most sound, logical and lasting decision possible. In parallel, a sound strategic plan needs to be put together to provide a solid path for the next 5 to 10 years to identify the goals of the Union County Educational system and what the BOE, BCC and Municipalities can do to achieve those goals. Last, but certainly not least, the people who vote and pay the taxes to these "chosen" leaders, need to think twice about who they are voting for in the primaries and general elections and put a little more thought into what some of the individuals stand for.
Well said - thanks for taking the time to share this :-)

Old 01-28-2014, 09:31 AM

631 posts, read 891,610 times
Folks, thanks for your input on our little informal survey. We had 12 people participate. 2 others didn't like any options and didn't vote, so I'm please with 14 respondents. Thank you! The 12 people had 4 votes each for a total of 48 votes. Someone cheated and only picked 3, resulting in 47 total votes cast.

9 - Multi-Track
8 - Redistrict
7 - Change K-5 to K-6
7 - Choice Schools/Program
6 - Build New Schools
4 - Build Additions to Schools
3 - Leave Caps
3 - Add Mobile Classrooms
0 - Split-Track (half days)

There's zero statistical significance to this, but I see a few highlights.

a) We kind of agree on Multi-track, Change and K-6 as viable options.
b) Redistricting was up there as I'd expect on this board.
c) No one liked the split track option. Good riddance.

Thanks again!!!

Old 01-28-2014, 10:08 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,820,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First and Ten View Post
Since you seem to be a "Expert" in the housing field, why don't i lat it out for you and you let me know your opinion. I paid $360K for my house…..currently the comps in my neighborhood for like houses put its value at around $345K….I have a few friends that are realtors, and after the redistricting announcements came out, we were talking….when 3 realtors tell you in effect "If you sold your house prior, you could get between $340 - $350K, if this redistricting takes effect, you would be lucky to get $280K - $290K"….well, that would tell me that from a financial standpoint, thats a $60K difference…..Since you seem to have an issue with my basic math skills, why don't you weigh in and correct me oh wise one
I don't get this. Not only does it seem that people forgot the criteria they used to purchase their own homes, they also forgot how the social aspect of school works with friends, cliques, outsiders, loners, etc... Kids appear to just interchangeable numbers that can be moved around on a spread sheet.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:18 AM

31 posts, read 45,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Folks, thanks for your input on our little informal survey. We had 12 people participate. 2 others didn't like any options and didn't vote, so I'm please with 14 respondents. Thank you! The 12 people had 4 votes each for a total of 48 votes. Someone cheated and only picked 3, resulting in 47 total votes cast.

9 - Multi-Track
8 - Redistrict
7 - Change K-5 to K-6
6 - Build New Schools
3 - Leave Caps

Thanks again!!!
I would be the "cheater". Actually I had a really difficult time even presenting my #3 choice (K-6), as my children's elementary school is at/over capacity with multiple trailers already in place (therefore, not sure where you would be putting that huge rising 6th grade class......7 classrooms of them...... at their current school). Currently those trailers are used for 2nd graders, 4th graders, several "specials" as well as 4th/5th grade AIG.

My 3 choices were based upon options that I felt to be realistic and viable options (based upon the criteria set forth by the BOE). IMO I felt many of the other choices did not fit my criteria of being realistic and viable. Unfortunately, when I suggested a multi-track approach with the last redistricting it was a non-starter (so I expect that to be the case once again).

Old 01-28-2014, 10:56 AM

527 posts, read 743,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post

9 - Multi-Track
8 - Redistrict
7 - Change K-5 to K-6
6 - Build New Schools
3 - Leave Caps

Thanks again!!!
Good job pulling that together. I'd be curious to know why mobile classrooms scored so low?... and that conversation could probably be a little more productive if we'd drop the "they aren't safe" mantra. I'd like to know if they impact student or teacher productivity or results.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:09 AM

527 posts, read 743,929 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, the argument of "for people that don't live here yet" is quite hollow.
You said a lot of interesting things but this one stuck out to me the most. Per the UCPS core values they have an obligation to their stakeholders... not people that might be a stakeholder in 2 years. In addition, when Yercheck so smugly said that the BOE had to consider 40,000 students and 200,000 tax payers he didn't say they had to consider the millions of Americans that might at some point move to Union County.

You might want to call him and let him know that his stance is "quite hollow".

Old 01-28-2014, 11:10 AM

397 posts, read 664,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First and Ten View Post

Comps are ever-changing, are they not? School assignments may play a part, but so do foreclosures for example. Perhaps your next target should be to hunt down all of those parents who are planning to flee their homes and leave them to foreclose so that their children can be spared the reality of attending a less than top-ranking school. If one or two of those homes in your $345k neighborhood sells for $280k as a short sale or foreclosed property, that would certainly bring your comps way down as well. My point is this - wouldn't it make FAR more sense for everyone to stop panicking and put all of this time, energy, and passion into their new school if it pans out that way? That would serve you far better (and the value of your property) than all of this ranting and raving. For every news story and facebook post and rally that takes place, it seems to make your house even less desirable in my eyes. If you are on social media sites making SV and Parkwood to be such awful places, YEEEAHHH nobody is gonna want to live in your neighborhood any longer. I just don't see how all of this fuss is going to help anyone in the long run. Not the kids, not the schools, not your property value, not the county, and more than likely not the BOE members to change their votes.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawmom75 View Post
Comps are ever-changing, are they not? School assignments may play a part, but so do foreclosures for example. Perhaps your next target should be to hunt down all of those parents who are planning to flee their homes and leave them to foreclose so that their children can be spared the reality of attending a less than top-ranking school. If one or two of those homes in your $345k neighborhood sells for $280k as a short sale or foreclosed property, that would certainly bring your comps way down as well. My point is this - wouldn't it make FAR more sense for everyone to stop panicking and put all of this time, energy, and passion into their new school if it pans out that way? That would serve you far better (and the value of your property) than all of this ranting and raving. For every news story and facebook post and rally that takes place, it seems to make your house even less desirable in my eyes. If you are on social media sites making SV and Parkwood to be such awful places, YEEEAHHH nobody is gonna want to live in your neighborhood any longer. I just don't see how all of this fuss is going to help anyone in the long run. Not the kids, not the schools, not your property value, not the county, and more than likely not the BOE members to change their votes.

Waxhaw….for some reason you and others want to try and explain this phenomenon as everything BUT redistricting….so keeping it very very simple, i will say it again….in speaking to friends of mine who are REALTORS, we were talking about the redistricting (as i am sure hundreds of other people were doing) and one of the comments made to me was that if the redistricting should go thru, my house as well as others in the community would probably lose $60K in value if you/me/we tried to sell….i didn't say i made this number up, i said this was told to me….i have said it before on previous posts that i have no plans to sell, i have no plans on moving. I was just bringing in the financial aspect to this (make no mistake, i am not claiming finances are more important than the impact to the actual students, i am saying its one aspect of this potential redistricting)….Now, if you and your buddies on here don't think it has ANY impact, fine, you are entitled to think that….i am passing along what i have been told by not just 1 person in the realty business, but by multiple people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte