U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2014, 06:44 PM

36 posts, read 46,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
What about the kids in trailers at Parkwood? Surely the IIS kids deserve the same safety, security, and learning environment as all other children... do they not?
Yes, everybody deserves the same safety. If you believe, trailers are not safe, then as a responsible person, what would you do ? - Work towards reducing those trailers or Increasing the numbers of trailers. Since few trailers are being used and security has been compromised for kids due to resource limitation, does not give license to put more trailers.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:47 PM

141 posts, read 171,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhaw14 View Post
Yes, everybody deserves the same safety. If you believe, trailers are not safe, then as a responsible person, what would you do ? - Work towards reducing those trailers or Increasing the numbers of trailers. Since few trailers are being used and security has been compromised for kids due to resource limitation, does not give license to put more trailers.
so what do you believe waxhaw14.are trailers safe or not safe? its either one or the other. you can't reasonably say "well 20 are ok, but 21 are not safe" (unless you want to sound like an idiot)

Old 01-28-2014, 06:48 PM

31 posts, read 40,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First and Ten View Post
RDB….first off, i want to say, awesome post…..well thought out and message conveyed. Just a few points and would be interested to know your thoughts….your point about "entitlement". I would disagree as from my perspective (yes, i do agree some people feel entitled). I don't know if people feel "entitled" to Cuthbertson in the sense of "we are better than the others", but i do think there is some emotional attachment, due to the situation of when that school opened. Onto the points about redistricting/new schools. If i read your post right, its ok to move families based on projections of future growth. So its ok to move families for people that aren't even here yet. Lets go with that premise….we can remove students based on a prospect of we will be crowded in 2,3,4,5 yrs, BUT, we won't build schools based on those same forecasts? So i ask you, from a social standpoint, do you think its good shuttling students 3,4,5,6 times to multiple schools? I am in total agreement that the purpose of school is first and foremost Education….BUT, there is a social aspect to school that is very important as well…..friends, sports teams, clubs….i don't think its good that you keep shuttling kids all over the county….Redistricting is supposed to alleviate overcrowding, yet, at SVHS, the population will increase to over 100% after this goes thru. This will be the 3rd school in 7 yrs for some families. Now, if we want to take the strict business standpoint and look at the "snowflakes" (that term still kills me, i do like it, lol) as numbers on a spreadsheet, you can do that. i personally just don't agree with that approach
Thanks for the question on the entitlement, it was definitely meant in the sense we have put our time and money into a particular school so there is a sense of ownership, and was definitely not a socioeconomic related comment.

I completely understand and am not discounting the negative intangible effects associated with the concept of redistricting, and I would like to see those in charge do whatever possible to minimize this, especially for those where this has already happened multiple times in this county. But, it is a true no-win situation (especially emotionally) because there are going to be kids negatively affected no matter if something is done or not and there are kids currently being negatively affected because of the capping. All of this is why it is so hard to find something the majority can agree upon.

Unfortunately, numbers are going to be at the core of any decisions being made here, whether the numbers are related to kids, buses, miles, dollars, percentages, etc. What we have to do as the families with the kids in this process is force all the participants to 1) utilize the most complete and valid set of data available and then 2) make the decisions that have to be made to guarantee the quality education and safety of our kids we absolutely expect in this county for both now and the future.

There can be no "kicking of the can" down the road on this issue.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:50 PM

5,783 posts, read 8,417,724 times
Enough with the trailers...

Kensington - 116 more kids next year (already capped)
Kensington - 65 more kids year after (still capped and now 1181 kids "in" the school)
Kensington - 45 more kids... (still capped and now over 1200 kids "in" the school)
Cuthbertson Middle - capped next year at 1468
Cuthbertson Middle - 100 more kids year after (still capped and now 1568 kids "in" the school)
Cuthbertson Middle - 85 more kids... (still capped and now over 1650 kids "in" the school)

That 3rd year Cuthbertson High will be capped with over 2000 kids "in" the school...

The Cuthbertson cluster alone will be hitting a total of 600+ kids over "cap level" in just 3 of its 4 assigned schools... The 4th will be edging by like 30 under cap. These kids will not be shipped off - they will be exempted from the cap and "in class", eating lunch together, taking recess, and supposedly learning. How many trailers are 600 kids?

The numbers are hitting redonkulous levels. So it's absurd to say you either address the overcrowding with trailers or come up with a plan to remove all trailers from the system... seriously. Take about polarizing a debate - there is a happy medium.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post

Kensington - 65 more kids year after (still capped and now 1181 kids "in" the school)
Kensington - 45 more kids... (still capped and now over 1200 kids "in" the school)
Cuthbertson Middle - 100 more kids year after (still capped and now 1568 kids "in" the school)
Cuthbertson Middle - 85 more kids... (still capped and now over 1650 kids "in" the school)

That 3rd year Cuthbertson High will be capped with over 2000 kids "in" the school...

The Cuthbertson cluster alone will be hitting a total of 600+ kids over "cap level" in just 3 of its 4 assigned schools... The 4th will be edging by like 30 under cap. These kids will not be shipped off - they will be exempted from the cap and "in class", eating lunch together, taking recess, and supposedly learning. How many trailers are 600 kids?

The numbers are hitting redonkulous levels. So it's absurd to say you either address the overcrowding with trailers or come up with a plan to remove all trailers from the system... seriously. Take about polarizing a debate - there is a happy medium.

Mikey, thats cool, then everyone get off the high horse, especially a BOE member who claims that trailers are a serious safety concern. If that is indeed the case, then not one trailer can be used. I am sure you would agree with me that you could not jeopardize even 1 childs safety for even 5 seconds

Old 01-28-2014, 07:29 PM

527 posts, read 636,838 times
Quote:
huh?

Old 01-28-2014, 07:43 PM

631 posts, read 736,736 times
http://www.ucps.k12.nc.us/documents/...assignment.pdf

Old 01-28-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
4 or 5 trailers on all that extra land would bring down the level to under the "watch" level….kids don't have to move, no increase in bus mileage wear and tear, parents and kids happy….win/win, except to those of you who are chanting for it….sorry it would ruin your enjoyment

Old 01-28-2014, 08:40 PM

527 posts, read 636,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Wow, how often can they get it wrong and we just suck it up and hope that it's right the next time?

http://fpc.ucps.k12.nc.us/documents/...cast012913.pdf

Yeah, let's jump on board with redistricting because this time it' really, especially, double dog right

Old 01-28-2014, 09:30 PM

98 posts, read 145,534 times
Quote:

Ok I just want to use this as an example so please my fellow city dataians lol don't clobber me on this one. Here we go. We keep the re districting in place. So that puts Parkwood at capacity or close to it 2014 Sun valley over capacity 2014 Porter Ridge Capacity 2014 Weddington 98% capacity 2014 Marvin Ridge 95% capacity 2014 and finally Cuthbertson 85% capacity 2014 and to be fair and not forget Monroe and Forest hills probably around 75-80%. Now let's look at Lawson opening up a whole new section plus the major building in the existing section, Millbridge has many to build, Cureton has many plus I see a NEW section across from them off Gray Buyrum being cleared but not sure why. Then the NEW community (why we need another one seems to amaze me) on Hwy 16. So given all of that building how long you think it will take to fill roughly 22% of seats in those schools in the Cuthbertson,Marvin,Weddington area? Maybe 1 yr if you go and look at the building going on. Then what do we do in 2015??? Because it takes probably 2yrs or so to build a school and there is no where to send anymore kids except Monroe and forest hills. How far south are we going to go before we build something?? I'm just looking at the same numbers that we are all talking about. A I'm no math major by no means but it's pretty obvious they are building homes faster than schools. It's like watching "The Walking Dead" (my favorite show lol ) you try to move but they keep coming... Am I right by saying that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or