U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2014, 10:34 AM

5,783 posts, read 8,413,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvereagle View Post
In my everyday travels I pass a number of these soon-to-be neighborhoods and sales centers, so all I did was go to the builder's website and hit "find a home" with zip code or town name (Waxhaw/Marvin). Many had site plans where lots were numbered or listed the proposed number homes to be built. The Shea addition near Barrington is not listed on their site, but I had read about it when they had public hearings on a shared road thru that neighborhood (last spring). I guess you could always call the sales centers as well and confirm. Some of them are marketing as "coming soon", others as either "spring 2014" or "fall 2014". Most have cleared land and some have homes close to completion. I am aware of building elsewhere but really only focused on those I was more familiar with. There are also a number of lots available in some established neighborhoods as well that would feed to MR.
It's a shame that we have to be detectives to find this stuff out... I'm all over the Marvin / Waxhaw area myself - every day. Google Earth is a pretty handy tool - very easy to see where land has been cleared for more homes. I remember the hearings you refer to, but the Shea addition isn't even a go - there's no "coming soon" or any signage for that. (as far as I know there were still some open questions on that delaying things, but I'm not sure). Either way it's not starting tomorrow. In fact, there's very little signage or significant clearing done in the Marvin cluster at this point that could start tomorrow. The exceptions would be Marvin Creek, Chimneys (which is done now), the homes going up on the East side of Waxhaw Marvin Rd (couple of small culdesacs), and some spot building around (i.e Providence Downs). I don't see where any short term "burst" would come from in the cluster. Plus, Marvin has the 1 acre requirement.

In contrast, you can clearly see how much land is already cleared in Cuthbertson. We know there's no zoning to 1 acre there...

Behind Cuthbertson, I see the Weddington areas cleared as likely 2nd most short term potential - but they also have the 1 acre requirement.

Regardless, much of this is speculation - I really would like to see a consolidated list of building approved through all municipalities... County, Waxhaw, Marvin, Weddington, etc... That's the only way to be sure of what could be coming - unfortunately, even those details would need some subjective data around how fast they would come out of the ground. Painful.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by First and Ten View Post
LOL, "my commissioners"? LOL, they aren't my buddies, we aren't exchanging holiday greetings….but i get your message. I just wonder if it is feasible to think they will stop. there is absolutely no indication that not just waxhaw, but all of the municipalities will slow down or stop. I believe Stallings just came on board with Wesley Chapel in basically denouncing the redistricting, but didn't they in the next breath approve building of 300 additional homes (thats what i heard second hand, so it may be incorrect). Didn't the mayor of marvin say to the effect that development has to somehow be regulated, yet they are developing like crazy in the Marvin area
haha - I hope you get my meaning... they are supposed to represent their constituents!

I don't think Wesley Chapel or Stallings is approving near the rate of Waxhaw or the County. Where are you seeing development in the Marvin area?

Old 01-29-2014, 10:49 AM

141 posts, read 171,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
haha - I hope you get my meaning... they are supposed to represent their constituents!

I don't think Wesley Chapel or Stallings is approving near the rate of Waxhaw or the County. Where are you seeing development in the Marvin area?
i was referencing Denvers post, sounded like there was some building going on in Marvin, you had a different take, i not disputing anything, just running with what was posted….i do agree that waxhaw is the prime culprit in the race to approve land for developers

Old 01-29-2014, 10:54 AM

631 posts, read 736,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvereagle View Post
I thought I would throw some information on new building, concentrating areas near the MR and Cuthbertson areas (but not including the obvious mega size of Millbridge, Lawson, Cureton). I also did not look at other areas that may have building (Weddington and areas east of or further south towards town of Waxhaw).

Sigh.
Interesting if you look at what the municipalities own vs the county. I used the county's GIS site: GIS/Maps to look at these areas. If you use the Community Mapper tool, you can select a layer to show municipalities. Another layer selects subdivisions etc.
  • Tullamore (Pulte) off Rea Rd at the entrance to Marvin Creek: 44 homesites - MARVIN
  • Preserve at Marvin (Toll Bros) adjacent to Marvin Creek near Newtown Rd: 92 current sites (many already sold) and additional land for future homes. - MARVIN
  • Area adjacent to Barrington behind Barrinton (?off Grey Byrum): Shea is planning a number of homes here. - WAXHAW (Surprised me it was that far north)
  • Inverness On Providence (south of Newtown Rd and off Providence Rd, maybe where the old Providence Equestrian Center used to be) Standard Pacific Homes: 113 home sites - WAXHAW (link to plan https://nc-waxhaw.civicplus.com/Agen...da/03182013-59)
  • Ladera (off Newtown Rd and adjacent to Providence Downs South) Standard Pacific Homes: # sites unlisted but expect it to be pretty small because it is poposed as gated. - COUNTY
  • Weddington Trace (Standard Pacific Homes): has two additional large sections. - COUNTY
  • I also understand that a large chunk of land on Waxhaw-Marvin Rd up from Sandy Ridge was recently purchased by a developer. - Not sure where this is, but if its' northwest of the Chimney's, the only open space would be Marvin land.

Marvin does have a 1 acre zoning I believe.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
i was referencing Denvers post, sounded like there was some building going on in Marvin, you had a different take, i not disputing anything, just running with what was posted….i do agree that waxhaw is the prime culprit in the race to approve land for developers
It really comes down to how much effort you want to put into educating yourself... we all have other stuff we need to do and it's time consuming to really research what is going on.

Take some time playing with Google Earth and see where land is cleared in the county - the quickest way to see where homes would be coming out of the ground soon.

Go even deeper - use the County GIS to see who owns a parcel of land (it's public record)... a red flag would be land owned by a known developer/builder as opposed to a person. If it's not cleared yet it's a yellow flag that homes would be going up there in the mid term.

Deeper still... determine what municipality holds that land and then apply zoning requirements where appropriate (i.e. 1 acre for Marvin or Weddington) to help understand how many homes may be going up on that land.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
It really comes down to how much effort you want to put into educating yourself... we all have other stuff we need to do and it's time consuming to really research what is going on.

Take some time playing with Google Earth and see where land is cleared in the county - the quickest way to see where homes would be coming out of the ground soon.

Go even deeper - use the County GIS to see who owns a parcel of land (it's public record)... a red flag would be land owned by a known developer/builder as opposed to a person. If it's not cleared yet it's a yellow flag that homes would be going up there in the mid term.

Deeper still... determine what municipality holds that land and then apply zoning requirements where appropriate (i.e. 1 acre for Marvin or Weddington) to help understand how many homes may be going up on that land.
If you want to see a picture that looks like a 2 year old drew it, check out the municipality maps. It's amazing how crazy their boundaries are. Marvin is a big "C." Waxhaw is a shotgun approach. Many have disconnected properties. My favorite is Wesley Oaks. Maybe a 1/4-1/3 of their lots are actually in Wesley Chapel, but that varies house to house. Drive down the street and you'll have 2 WC, 3 county, 1 WC, 4 county, etc... its nuts!

Old 01-29-2014, 11:51 AM

2,082 posts, read 3,568,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINYTransplant View Post
I personally know a bunch of families from Marvin and the ones I converse with regularly are not upset in the least at the move except for the travel time. That's just my experience. I was just looking for a clarification to be quite honest. Regarding the redisitricting to a lower scoring school, I thought most on this board was in agreement that the redistricitng would result in lifting scores at the lower performing schools? I think many families are upset by the distance as much as anything. Scores can be lifted and teachers can be "redistricted" as well but distance cannot change. For parents that don't want their children riding school buses the redistricting will cause an increase in money spent on gas per week as well as alter after school plans such as after school choices, religious instruction classes/times and after school classes like dance, art or writing, etc.
Not sure who would be OK with redistricting from Marvin schools, I think it would be an exception. Everybody we know from Marvin subdivisions proposed to move from Marvin schools are organized and up in arms just as much as anybody else.
Nobody wants to have their kids moved.

Weddington Chase is definitely making a lot of noise about it, they do belong to Marvin (pay extra property tax) and having their kids to Weddington is not what they would accept. Plus this subdivision was proposed for moving 3 times in the last 7 years...insane...

Old 01-29-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Not sure who would be OK with redistricting from Marvin schools, I think it would be an exception. Everybody we know from Marvin subdivisions proposed to move from Marvin schools are organized and up in arms just as much as anybody else.

Weddington Chase is definitely making a lot of noise about it, they do belong to Marvin (pay extra property tax) and having their kids to Weddington is not what they would accept. Plus this subdivision was proposed for moving 3 times in the last 7 years...insane...

i find it funny how Wedd Chase keeps going back to MR when they seem to be the only subdivision east of Providence Rd that is zoned for MR schools….what makes them so special, hmmmmm, i wonder

Old 01-29-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Question….how did they get the funding to build the Marvin and Cuthbertson clusters….was that also a bond referendum and did that pass or did they secure funds by some other means?
Here's some of the old info from past bonds: UCPS Bond History

Interesting stuff. The FAQ and Brochure questions still resonate today (Trailers, build it bigger, etc). The Bond Profile link shows approval votes going back to 98. Looks like 60-70% approval for them.

Perhaps they can pass a referendum again. I still stand behind my comments about this being a different time and atmosphere, but think it has a chance. Personally, I would vote for it. We do need new schools. I'm just not sure what the rest of the county would say. It also still leaves us with a good 3-4 years before they are built, so something has to give in the meantime and I don't think the BOE will leave caps in place.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post

There are other subdivisions that were proposed just as many times as Wedd Chase….People in Lawson, their kids attended 3 school clusters in 4 yrs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or