U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2014, 03:53 PM

189 posts, read 277,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Slide 57 is by far my favorite!!!!

It's been a while since I drove by both schools, so correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't Cuthbertson Middle a single floor school? I thought those long classroom wings are just one story.

Marvin Ridge Middle has the same core but their shorter classroom wings are 2 stories.

I hope he did a drive by instead of just looking at satellite photos.
You are correct.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:55 PM

527 posts, read 638,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I guess this is the big bombshell from the anti-redistrict movement... It's a shame that he overshadowed some excellent work with 3 overlying issues:

#1 - tying this in any way to that "survey". I would have questioned even a choice to include small references to it. But to highlight it so prominently and basically represent this as an extension of the survey was a serious mistake.

#2 - the tone is obviously biased, way too condescending, and tries to be "cutesy" much too often. Why not just stick to the data and analysis?

#3 - the ultimate answer is... you guessed it...

Spoiler
... trailers ...

It needed to keep with the theme of being a report and analysis... which calls out many excellent points and questions. I particularly like the school analysis and McKibben report analysis. Well done. But to overshadow all that with some insulting undertones and then sprinkle in some conspiracy theory about who lives where... ugh
This is one guys analysis, not some sort of bombshell or smoking gun.

The ultimate answers is trailers? Not sure how you come to that conclusion when he clearly states recommendations on slide 84... MRC's are suggested where needed during 2014 while a 3rd party (McKibben in this case) is hired to assist with redistricting... in a collaboritive way.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:57 PM

5,789 posts, read 8,442,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewarts Little Marbles View Post
Mikey - you don't find slide 76 even the least bit curious?
Yes, but if I really cared I would just check GIS... it's all public record.

The context and how it is presented is what is unnecessary and for me you're doing an injustice to the data and analysis with that stuff... like the overhead pictures of the schools and calling them out. It's out of place with the rest of the true report/analysis work. Someone took pleasure in those jabs and it shows - but in the end it's like booing at the BOE meeting... it makes you feel great in the moment, but it's not really helping your case.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:58 PM

397 posts, read 520,438 times
Mikey..got it again.
Everyone wants more mobile units. Amazing how much energy is being put towards this solution. Correct if I'm wrong but it seems certain people would prefer their kids spend all day in a trailer over going to a brick and mortar school when some kids might actually live in one.
Yucky thought.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:02 PM

3 posts, read 2,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Slide 57 is by far my favorite!!!!

It's been a while since I drove by both schools, so correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't Cuthbertson Middle a single floor school? I thought those long classroom wings are just one story.

Marvin Ridge Middle has the same core but their shorter classroom wings are 2 stories.

I hope he did a drive by instead of just looking at satellite photos.
Too Logical. I had similar questions reading the report. It's an impressive piece of work, done in a short period of time. I think someone else should have read it and asked those questions before it was posted. Because if this is part of the argument against redistricting then you better have all your data verified.

Even the overall presentation was overwhelming. An executive summary type of presentation with the details behind it may have been an easier read. But that's really just nit picking. It could be written on the back of a napkin as long as the data is correct.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:02 PM

5,905 posts, read 7,761,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
Ooohh, ooohh... me.. me.... (hand raising frantically.)

Who lives there??.... Nobody, just checked GIS site. I was going to post all the names, but don't think it would be appropriate. If you want to see a list GoPhils, just DM me and I'll send you the list.

Why does it "remain in Weddington while every other house moves to Sun Valley"?? Well, please add this as item number 3 on my list of why this report has no credibility. Drum roll...........

Because its west of 16, for God's sake, and NONE of the adjacent communities are going to Sun Valley either, does he know how to read a map?? But there's probably 575 people already shaking their fist in the air about THAT injustice. Again, it's WEST of PROVIDENCE ROAD, bordering the Rea View's border for God's sake, nobody there is going to Sun Valley.... EVER.

........next!
I don't want to know the names, was just curious if it was actually politicians/board members as he seemed to be alluding to...

Old 02-03-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
This is one guys analysis, not some sort of bombshell or smoking gun.

The ultimate answers is trailers? Not sure how you come to that conclusion when he clearly states recommendations on slide 84... MRC's are suggested where needed during 2014 while a 3rd party (McKibben in this case) is hired to assist with redistricting... in a collaboritive way.
Yes, the answer is - don't touch anything and use trailers to get through next year while we re-do the analysis... Did I misread it?

The additional analysis is great and all... but I honestly think that needed to come to the table much sooner.

I've already suggested earlier in this thread that I believe they see their best option as redistrict now, bring in McKibben next year, and then lay out the plan for new schools to arrive by the end of this 5 year forecast, at which point they'll redistrict again... I still think that's the way they will likely go. But of course I really have no specific insight into the decision making and maybe things change if you can get Stewart to recuse himself and swing another couple of votes besides Savage and Hodges.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:07 PM

You want juicy... show they went out of the way to redistrict the BOCC's families. LOL

Old 02-03-2014, 04:07 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,058,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
He knows. You can know too by looking it up... you won't be surprised by what you find.
Mike... pray do tell...... who... who????

You don't know either, do you? How about the fact that their neighboring subdivision is in fact NOT going to Sun Valley like stated, "he knows" that, too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I don't want to know the names, was just curious if it was actually politicians/board members as he seemed to be alluding to...
nah.... there is a Helms, but there are about 1,000 Helms in Union County, and its neither of the ones serving on BOCC or BOE. Is it one of their grandpa's second cousin twice removed.... maybe....there's your smoking gun!

Old 02-03-2014, 04:09 PM

49 posts, read 52,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raithfan View Post
Mikey..got it again.
Everyone wants more mobile units. Amazing how much energy is being put towards this solution. Correct if I'm wrong but it seems certain people would prefer their kids spend all day in a trailer over going to a brick and mortar school when some kids might actually live in one.
Yucky thought.

Raith, that may be the case….i can't speak for all parents, but some would much rather have their kids spend part or even all to their day in a trailer in a high performing school that is close to their home as opposed to sending their kids 2-3 times mileage and/or time wise to a significantly lower performing school that is questionably structurally unsound
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or