U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2014, 06:25 PM

5,783 posts, read 8,413,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewarts Little Marbles View Post
I will agree with your point Mikey, and that is a major point of frustration for many people. why the rush? is UC education system going to come to a screeching halt if redistricting isn't voted on by April? That is what some BOE members will have you believe. Why does this plan have to implemented this quick?
Be careful - switching screennames can become addicting... but always remember the mods can see your IP address and tie multiple names together... you can't hide form them.

You'll have to speak to your representative on that front. I flipflop on the issue... But I will tell you from my own personal discussions that there are people who want this to go through to alleviate the overcrowding now... They don't want even more trailers in the short term just to redistrict next year. Right or wrong, that's how they feel.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:28 PM

137 posts, read 164,625 times
Commissioners offered $3 million tonight for MCRs. Don't know how they're going to come up with that money, but there you go. I would wager there's an actual chance now of redistricting not happening. Have fun with your trailer park schools though if it happens.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:30 PM

49 posts, read 52,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdjt View Post
Theres something that people arent discussing. I didnt want to bring this up, because I didnt want the boe to make another rule to stop this. It is very true that many...many families moved in certain school districts for the neighborhood schools. With that being said, this redistricting will not fix the problem. Here is why. Family moves in district, boe moves lines, adamant family moves right back in. I realize that many can't, and some won't, but MANY will. School has 1450 students , 300 are moved, leaving 1150. 150 sell, or rent their home and come right back, then add the typical 50 new students that just moved in over summer. There you have it, back around 1350, within months. Its already happening, and if necessary, I would to.
you think 50% of the affected families will move back in? i think there will be some, but that many? if this should go thru, their current house will probably take a hit when trying to sell and sellers or builders in the "desirable" area will bump up their selling price. The wildcard is in what, 3-5 yrs, new schools will possibly be built and redistricting could be on the table again

Old 02-03-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Be careful - switching screennames can become addicting... but always remember the mods can see your IP address and tie multiple names together... you can't hide form them.

You'll have to speak to your representative on that front. I flipflop on the issue... But I will tell you from my own personal discussions that there are people who want this to go through to alleviate the overcrowding now... They don't want even more trailers in the short term just to redistrict next year. Right or wrong, that's how they feel.

Mikey, when you say you "flip flop", what do you mean? some days you want redistricting and some days you don't?

what people want this to go thru? Have you actually spoken to a lot of people that are slated for redistricting that are saying "Oh Yea, i can't wait to move my kids to a new school"?

Old 02-03-2014, 06:38 PM

6 posts, read 6,951 times
I agree, tough call on the numbers. However I do think 150 out of 400 is realistic. I have already seen quite a few since this has begun, and many more in process. Some people are being rude on social media and many are saying nothing....but taking immediate action. Either way, I am certain that many will not, absolutely will not, send their children to their newly allocated school. Right , wrong, or indifferent, I guarantee it. As for their house values getting hit, I totally agree, thats why many will just rent their current house out, add a little money to what they receive and rent in their old district. At least until a better solution (new school, etc) is found.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:40 PM

137 posts, read 164,625 times
http://www.co.union.nc.us/Portals/0/...Classrooms.pdf

Old 02-03-2014, 06:41 PM

149 posts, read 476,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarti78 View Post
Commissioners offered $3 million tonight for MCRs. Don't know how they're going to come up with that money, but there you go. I would wager there's an actual chance now of redistricting not happening. Have fun with your trailer park schools though if it happens.
Hmmm, this is interesting. If the money is provided with 'no strings', it can buy the additional year everyone wants. At least to the point where core capacity is not exceeded.

I cant help but think the BOCC is overjoyed at the opportunity to 'win' and make the BOE look bad. The dysfunction and animosity between those two groups are not good for any of us.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdjt View Post
I agree, tough call on the numbers. However I do think 150 out of 400 is realistic. I have already seen quite a few since this has begun, and many more in process. Some people are being rude on social media and many are saying nothing....but taking immediate action. Either way, I am certain that many will not, absolutely will not, send their children to their newly allocated school. Right , wrong, or indifferent, I guarantee it. As for their house values getting hit, I totally agree, thats why many will just rent their current house out, add a little money to what they receive and rent in their old district. At least until a better solution (new school, etc) is found.

good point sdjt, i personally know of people looking to at least rent in the district they want to stay in. I wonder if builders developing in these desirable subdivisions will all of a sudden bump their prices up, knowing the new houses will be in great demand

Old 02-03-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMARIA View Post
Hmmm, this is interesting. If the money is provided with 'no strings', it can buy the additional year everyone wants. At least to the point where core capacity is not exceeded.

I cant help but think the BOCC is overjoyed at the opportunity to 'win' and make the BOE look bad. The dysfunction and animosity between those two groups are not good for any of us.

The 3 million would be enough for 49 MCR's and per the BOE report , they would need 49 MCR's over the next 4 yrs

Old 02-03-2014, 06:50 PM

631 posts, read 736,431 times
Good conversations around this.

First, I give the author major credit for taking the time to crunch the numbers. That was a lot of data entry and graph manipulation that I know takes a long tedious time. The presentation does need some editing and simplification. It would be more effective at 10 pages with a one page concise executive summary. The other 140 should be in a separate backup document.

My thoughts:
  • It uses Cap instead of Capacity. We've already talked about confusing the terms.
  • It focuses on individual schools instead of looking at each cluster as a whole.
  • The "survey" is invalid. Don't come rebutting the McKinnen report accuracy and then bring in your own massively flawed data.
  • Ditch the conspiracy theories and page 57. Especially when he didn't take 30 minutes to drive by CMS and MRMS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or