U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-12-2013, 11:06 AM
 
985 posts, read 1,649,734 times
Reputation: 377

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
It will be a nightmare with capping as well.
yes capping starts it (but capping starts with a fire code issue), once they redistrict the families it should help with the transportation, I cannot imagine a school system sending multiple buses for multiple schools to each neighborhood for years

 
Old 11-12-2013, 11:08 AM
 
1,226 posts, read 2,049,763 times
Reputation: 1863
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINYTransplant View Post
Disturbing? Expressing feelings about getting a child up at 5:30am to ride on a bus for 30 minutes to a school that has underperformed for over a decade? That will not be an option for me thank you very much. I will not subject my child to a 30-minute bus ride to school or be subjected to classroom overcrowding or a school that underperforms. Thankfully there are options beyond the public school system.

You obviously must live right next to a well respected school that will not be subjected to any rezoning.
thus, the reason for redistricting. There are many parents having to currently subject their kids to classroom overcrowding. Not good enough for your kid, but ok if its someone else's kid?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
It makes sense to me that if Weddington Chase needs to be broken from MR, it will go back to Weddington schools (where it used to be)...we'll see...

One question: Do the school clusters need will be staying together for a certain community/neighborhood - say can you have formerly MRM kids moving to Weddington/Cuthbertson while keeping the HS kids still going at MRH? Reason is there might be some schools are overcapacity while other are not (within same cluster).

In other words, will everybody in a given community need to belong to one school cluster?
I'm not sure I understand.... I think you are talking about a partial feeder school?? Its not ideal and a last resort, but it has been done. There is currently one little of the weddington elementary zone that goes to Cutherstson, while everyone else goes to Weddington Middle. And Waxhaw Elementary splits up between Parkwood and Cuthbertson.... so yes, it can and has been done. But they don't want to do that if at all avoidable... they want to keep in to the 3/1/1 cluster.

But they won't rezone a middle school somewhere else, so kids go with a certain set of kids through elementary school, then get sent off somewhere else, and then come back for high??? Would seem insane to me. But then again, sending that little bit of weddingon E to Cuthbertson also seems insane to me, and they did do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
^
This.

It is County commissioners and school board members JOB to plan for the needs of the county. That includes building enough schools and in the appropriate places. Not to count on shuffling kids around every 3 years based on where they will fit. Some may think that's an acceptable solution, but after awhile, all schools will have room since people will stop moving here because they won't know where their kids will be going to school every 3 to 4 years. They will take their dollars and move to a different county, test scores will drop, turning off more people leading to a general decline in the county. Wings of schools will be left empty.

Again, handing out building permits like Pez with no regard for schools and infrastructure is the fault of the county and school commissioners - who should have been asking and should be asking now, where are we going to put all the kids in the new developments and ones being built out in the northwest portion of the county?

Ex-LI beat me to it. I was going to raise the question if we should also talk about water and sewer issues in this thread or start a new one...
It is stated right into Board policy that redistricting happens every 3 years... that is the PLAN, so they did PLAN.

They are asking now where are they going to put kids in new developments, and that is why they are doing a population study, to figure out what they should plan for. And if it is enough for a new school, they will build one.

It does really amaze me that someone can look at a map of the district zones, see that their home is on the border of FOUR zones, on the outskirts of a very natural boundary line, and then be shocked and outrage when they get rezoned. I understand you fighting it, voicing your opinion, requesting exceptions, giving them suggestions, lobbying, petitions, etc.... but the outrage and blaming the county for doing exactly what they need to be doing is just silly.
 
Old 11-12-2013, 11:13 AM
 
397 posts, read 579,128 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINYTransplant View Post
Disturbing? Expressing feelings about getting a child up at 5:30am to ride on a bus for 30 minutes to a school that has underperformed for over a decade? That will not be an option for me thank you very much. I will not subject my child to a 30-minute bus ride to school or be subjected to classroom overcrowding or a school that underperforms. Thankfully there are options beyond the public school system.

You obviously must live right next to a well respected school that will not be subjected to any rezoning.

None of us knows where rezoning will occur. Not me, not you. That said, my daughter is a junior in high school and has been reassigned FOUR times since kindergarten despite living in the very same home. She is and always has been a hard-working student, despite where she went to school. I think you said it best: "there are options beyond the public school system". If you don't like it then home school or pay for private school! I am just amazed at the sense of entitlement I have witnessed in the past few weeks from parents in this thread and I can only imagine how this affects the kids who have to be reassigned to another school. They must think the worst before they even experience it for themselves! Buying an expensive home that feeds to a higher performing school does NOT guarantee it will stay that way, nor that you are BETTER/MORE DESERVING than any other child/family!!!
 
Old 11-12-2013, 11:14 AM
 
2,082 posts, read 3,567,537 times
Reputation: 2059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
^
This.

It is County commissioners and school board members JOB to plan for the needs of the county. That includes building enough schools and in the appropriate places. Not to count on shuffling kids around every 3 years based on where they will fit. Some may think that's an acceptable solution, but after awhile, all schools will have room since people will stop moving here because they won't know where their kids will be going to school every 3 to 4 years. They will take their dollars and move to a different county, test scores will drop, turning off more people leading to a general decline in the county. Wings of schools will be left empty.

Again, handing out building permits like Pez with no regard for schools and infrastructure is the fault of the county and school commissioners - who should have been asking and should be asking now, where are we going to put all the kids in the new developments and ones being built out in the northwest portion of the county?

Ex-LI beat me to it. I was going to raise the question if we should also talk about water and sewer issues in this thread or start a new one...
Fully agree, i think planning for proper development has been lacking in UC.
It is a high growth area so proactive planning instead of reactive actions should've been the norm...
 
Old 11-12-2013, 11:22 AM
 
238 posts, read 494,787 times
Reputation: 158
Quote:
Buying an expensive home that feeds to a higher performing school does NOT guarantee it will stay that way, nor that you are BETTER/MORE DESERVING than any other child/family!!!
I think in part, although it sounds mean, if a person buys a more expensive house kind of means they are more deserving of a better school. They paid a premium for their home to be at that school. I could have purchased a home that was zoned for Waxhaw ES and Parkwood, the houses in that area were much cheaper, but to have the privilege of going to KES and being in the Cuthbertson cluster I paid a lot more. So why shouldn't that mean I am more deserving? I paid for it. I was charged a higher price because I was in a great school district.
 
Old 11-12-2013, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Pixley
3,521 posts, read 2,233,456 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
thus, the reason for redistricting. There are many parents having to currently subject their kids to classroom overcrowding. Not good enough for your kid, but ok if its someone else's kid?


I'm not sure I understand.... I think you are talking about a partial feeder school?? Its not ideal and a last resort, but it has been done. There is currently one little of the weddington elementary zone that goes to Cutherstson, while everyone else goes to Weddington Middle. And Waxhaw Elementary splits up between Parkwood and Cuthbertson.... so yes, it can and has been done. But they don't want to do that if at all avoidable... they want to keep in to the 3/1/1 cluster.

But they won't rezone a middle school somewhere else, so kids go with a certain set of kids through elementary school, then get sent off somewhere else, and then come back for high??? Would seem insane to me. But then again, sending that little bit of weddingon E to Cuthbertson also seems insane to me, and they did do it.


It is stated right into Board policy that redistricting happens every 3 years... that is the PLAN, so they did PLAN.

They are asking now where are they going to put kids in new developments, and that is why they are doing a population study, to figure out what they should plan for. And if it is enough for a new school, they will build one.

It does really amaze me that someone can look at a map of the district zones, see that their home is on the border of FOUR zones, on the outskirts of a very natural boundary line, and then be shocked and outrage when they get rezoned. I understand you fighting it, voicing your opinion, requesting exceptions, giving them suggestions, lobbying, petitions, etc.... but the outrage and blaming the county for doing exactly what they need to be doing is just silly.
No, I don't think you see the point some of us are trying to make. Shifting hundreds of students around every 4 years to fit into holes where they fit them is not a plan. Again, these are kids, not units that can be moved around without consequence. Constantly moving students who are unlucky enough to live in the periphery boundaries of multiple school clusters is not a proper way to run a school district. Students and parents need stability. What this is telling the parents is not to get involved with your school because in 4 years you will most likely be in another one.

It does really amaze me that you think anyone who lives in this multi zone area should get the shaft every 4 years because they were unlucky enough to move into that area. You might as well designate that as trouble area for the county as the only people who are going to move there are ones who have no choice (low income, broken families, etc...).

If the county did their due diligence and balanced school placement with building permits we wouldn't have this problem.
 
Old 11-12-2013, 11:36 AM
 
397 posts, read 579,128 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbound01 View Post
I think in part, although it sounds mean, if a person buys a more expensive house kind of means they are more deserving of a better school. They paid a premium for their home to be at that school. I could have purchased a home that was zoned for Waxhaw ES and Parkwood, the houses in that area were much cheaper, but to have the privilege of going to KES and being in the Cuthbertson cluster I paid a lot more. So why shouldn't that mean I am more deserving? I paid for it. I was charged a higher price because I was in a great school district.

Think what you like, but you aren't! You bought a house - NOT a guaranteed spot at a particular school. People have many reasons for purchasing a home in a particular area. Not everyone has kids, so it's just silly to say that you are more deserving b/c you were "charged a higher price", lol!! It doesn't sound like you are being "mean". It sounds like you are greatly misinformed.
 
Old 11-12-2013, 11:45 AM
 
2,082 posts, read 3,567,537 times
Reputation: 2059
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawmom75 View Post
Think what you like, but you aren't! You bought a house - NOT a guaranteed spot at a particular school. People have many reasons for purchasing a home in a particular area. Not everyone has kids, so it's just silly to say that you are more deserving b/c you were "charged a higher price", lol!! It doesn't sound like you are being "mean". It sounds like you are greatly misinformed.
Respectfully disagree...main reason people purchase (many get the max house they can afford) in this area, it is for schools. And yes, fair or not, in the real world, higher price houses means, better public schools.

Fact that board is reactive instead of proactive does no good to anybody. Stability is cornerstone to continued success. As others have mentioned, many parents put a lot of effort in making their kids school better (time, donations, etc), this board sends the message of "we don't care, why should you?"...
 
Old 11-12-2013, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Pixley
3,521 posts, read 2,233,456 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Respectfully disagree...main reason people purchase (many get the max house they can afford) in this area, it is for schools. And yes, fair or not, in the real world, higher price houses means, better public schools.

Fact that board is reactive instead of proactive does no good to anybody. Stability is cornerstone to continued success. As others have mentioned, many parents put a lot of effort in making their kids school better (time, donations, etc), this board sends the message of "we don't care, why should you?"...
Bingo. We've spent a lot of time and money in our children's elementary and now starting middle school. If they are going to moved from school to school the middle of their time at middle or high school, I'n not even going to buy a shirt to promote spirit. Why bother?
 
Old 11-12-2013, 12:33 PM
 
238 posts, read 494,787 times
Reputation: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Bingo. We've spent a lot of time and money in our children's elementary and now starting middle school. If they are going to moved from school to school the middle of their time at middle or high school, I'n not even going to buy a shirt to promote spirit. Why bother?
Agree! We donate time and money to our school to make it better, to help them buy new computers and smart boards. We invest in our child's education, not only with buying a higher priced home in the school's district, but by investing in the school. Moving a child every three years? That's ridiculous.

If they move people they should be moved to another school that is the same grade as the school they are currently attending. I don't think anyone at MR ES would have a problem moving to KES or NTES, because both are equally highly rated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:52 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top