U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2014, 11:21 AM

985 posts, read 1,650,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
Redistricting, trailers and caps for all.
Exactly!!

Old 02-04-2014, 11:33 AM

49 posts, read 52,087 times
"if you do not cap or reassign, you are looking at mobile units to offset this bubble of growth"….Dr Webb

Old 02-04-2014, 11:42 AM

397 posts, read 579,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewarts Little Marbles View Post
how dare the FB Frenzies don't just blindly follow like sheep….how dare someone actually question something they don't like
That was a bit rude, I apologize. I don't expect anyone to follow blindly. Although sheep don't have many options in reality, but I digress. Anyhow, I just wish folks would be a bit less rigid while this is all being sorted out (i.e not picking every little word apart and dwelling on things that may have been stated poorly at the time). Sorry if I was rude.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:42 AM

161 posts, read 263,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I really thought it was a joke – but amazing some people think this may happen. We are just starting to see how those who stood on the sidelines letting the anti-redistrict groups think they’re the majority and vent their woes pop up to the surface now… Nobody wanted to speak up before, but now the BOCC has forced their hand. It was completely irresponsible for the BOCC to drop a press release worded to do nothing more than confuse the masses and play into FB posts… I saw the notes from the meeting, but that press release headline from the BOCC was completely over the top and wrong. If I was Yercheck I would be speaking to Counsel about recourse for them wording a release like that. What a bunch of jackarses. If they want to really play the heroes, give UCPS all the 90million they won in court and give them another 90million to build a cluster. Short of that, save your headline grabbing story. Take that 3million and go buy some teachers aides, school nurses, and books. 3million on trailers…. Really?

People just don’t understand the politic at play here – they don’t understand how UCPS is funded – and most importantly they don’t understand the end game. Regardless, I think they’ll wake up tomorrow and realize that the BOCC did nothing more than **** off the wrong people.

The BOCC does not have power with regard to the schools except holding money over their heads… which they’ve taken every chance to do up until now. Voting from the BOCC to fund the trailers is one thing, but voting to use them is a whole other ballgame. A vote for the trailers is akin to voting down the redistricting… I don’t see anywhere near 5 BOE votes for that happening – even with “free” trailers (which I admit did contribute as a sticking point). Why people don’t realize that and are celebrating is just a testament to how they don’t know what is going on around them and they’re just getting played by the BOCC. Sad.

Lastly, the Ellis “quote” and comments associated with potentially removing caps (i.e. eliminating the need for them with trailers) – or using a sound byte as “evidence” that the BOE themselves are OK with 49 trailers over 4 years is completely and utterly ridiculous. It’s even more ridiculous to make the trailer debate black or white... some trailers as a temporary solution are fine in the interim – we are well past interim. 3 schools are capped with more next year.

Stop advocating for educating kids in trailers please… you’re just delaying the inevitable of moving the year after. Rip the band-aid off and use the 3million dollars on educating the kids or improving the existing brick and mortar schools. Money much better spent.
Thank you!

Old 02-04-2014, 11:53 AM

49 posts, read 52,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawmom75 View Post
That was a bit rude, I apologize. I don't expect anyone to follow blindly. Although sheep don't have many options in reality, but I digress. Anyhow, I just wish folks would be a bit less rigid while this is all being sorted out (i.e not picking every little word apart and dwelling on things that may have been stated poorly at the time). Sorry if I was rude.

Waxhaw, i got to give it up to you….that was funny, i did chuckle…."Hello Pot, meet Kettle". You calling out others and wanting them to be "less rigid" yet all you have spouted on here was "REDISTRICT REDISTRICT REDISTRICT REDISTRICT…..LALALALALALA, I DONT WANT TO HEAR ANYTHING ELSE….MOVE THEM BODIES"

If people post with emotion on here, you call them FB Frenzies…..I am using quotes from our educational leaders in this county, taking their words verbatim, yet you now say that is nitpicking and that they didn't mean what they said (like only you know their true meaning). So i can only conclude, you DONT actually want to hear any other options, you want 5800 kids moved and are not entertaining any other options, no matter how sound they are. when presented with FACTS, you want to discount it as "well thats not what they REALLY meant"….Very nice of you to offer apologies, i wasn't offended, so no need, but still a very nice gesture

Old 02-04-2014, 12:04 PM

5,783 posts, read 8,418,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawmom75 View Post
First and 10 will continue posting here on a non-stop basis until she thinks she's won a free pass to trailer more kids next year... It's probably best to let her talk to herself. She's on that quote from Ellis like a dog with a bone.

What I need to understand is what the BOE plans to do next. It makes the prospect of what happens tonight all that more interesting...

Old 02-04-2014, 12:09 PM

149 posts, read 476,406 times
Quote:
were you at the last BOE meeting? I heard Dr Webb say, to avoid redistricting and future caps, one option being considered was MCR's….they needed 49 to address the situation at a cost of about 2.9 million….i don't remember anyone on the BOE challenging him at that time. the downside to that option was securing the funds….well, you now have the funds for that option, whats the problem?

Did the BOE opine about any of the alternatives being presented?

The meeting purpose was to hear the presentation and ask questions. Additional options were brought up, and they were to be researched. Dr Ellis is not in a position to approve ANY of the choices. She made it clear she will implement what the BOE directs her to do. Her 'we can do this' seems to be getting twisted into 'the BOE said they would do it if they get 3M."

Dr Webb presented trailers as an alternative to redistricting and capping.
The cost was stated to be 2.9M.

This new option seems to be trailers WITH Capping and reduced redistricting.
The stated cost of capping was 2M.

So even with the trailers, if there is capping there is still additional funding to be secured.

Things look brighter today than they did this time yesterday, but I don't believe redistricting is off the table.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:10 PM

6,032 posts, read 7,542,138 times
SO what is the result of this going to be? Are all those folks who moved out to Union County now going to get the higher property taxes they moved away from along with the same long commutes?

Old 02-04-2014, 12:13 PM

397 posts, read 579,469 times
Quote:
Waxhaw, i got to give it up to you….that was funny, i did chuckle…."Hello Pot, meet Kettle". You calling out others and wanting them to be "less rigid" yet all you have spouted on here was "REDISTRICT REDISTRICT REDISTRICT REDISTRICT…..LALALALALALA, I DONT WANT TO HEAR ANYTHING ELSE….MOVE THEM BODIES"

If people post with emotion on here, you call them FB Frenzies…..I am using quotes from our educational leaders in this county, taking their words verbatim, yet you now say that is nitpicking and that they didn't mean what they said (like only you know their true meaning). So i can only conclude, you DONT actually want to hear any other options, you want 5800 kids moved and are not entertaining any other options, no matter how sound they are. when presented with FACTS, you want to discount it as "well thats not what they REALLY meant"….Very nice of you to offer apologies, i wasn't offended, so no need, but still a very nice gesture
I have definitely heard the other options. I have been following this thread, going to meetings, and have been a member of Union County since ohhhh, 1988? I have been where you are (more than likely) going and it sucks. I agree. Like I've said before, my daughter was redistricted four times and finally opted to go to UCEC in 9th grade as she grew sick of it. So we embraced our options at that time. As for my son, he has not had to experience any of the redistricting stuff as of yet. And of course none of us WANT our kids to change schools (unless the school has some serious issues). But he has been in a trailer all year, day in and day out, unprotected by any fence or security, and roaming around outside unsupervised when he needs to use the restroom. He is only in elementary school and I don't like this or agree that it is IDEAL. So you see, I am not being rigid. I am looking at the options at hand realistically and offering what I myself believe to be the most viable path. There is no lalalalalala on my end. I have been all ears, all eyes, and all union county since back in the day. So call me rigid if you like, but I just call it being realistic.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:13 PM

5,783 posts, read 8,418,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
SO what is the result of this going to be? Are all those folks who moved out to Union County now going to get the higher property taxes they moved away from along with the same long commutes?
Did someone move out to Union County, see all the new schools and infrastructure around them, and expect that their taxes would NOT go up? Really?

Taxes are going up, I'll save you the drama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or