U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2014, 05:15 PM

8 posts, read 8,799 times

Advertisements

I tried to respond earlier and I can't find it. It was probably too long. I will hit the high points.

I admitted earlier my child is in private school but explained we have been following this issue since the beginning and had hopes of him being in the public school system one day. Again, I am sure that will give plenty of people a reason to pass right by my comment as I am seeing things on this thread like "dog in the fight." This whole thing is shameful. From the way we got here to the way people are turning against one another.

I was asked earlier about choosing between an over crowded highly rated school and a school that is out dated, in dire need of repairs with lower school rating and lower population. Both should be unacceptable for all of us. Those should not be the two choices any parent should have to make and until we all get past the "their" school "our" school mentality it will not change. Why is it ok for any school in the wealthy county to be in such poor condition? Why has UC allowed there to be such a huge difference in the school's buildings to begin with? Why have we not all been willing raise h**l about the conditions of the school across the county so if our children are redistricted, the condition of the building would be the least of our concern? What I think is equally as disgraceful is the overcrowding issue. This too should not be acceptable. I cannot believe how many people are ok with their children being in such crowed schools. It is dangerous. Earlier I said I am a UC native that remembers when the county had only 4 HS. As you can imagine, my school was crowded. I would never want my child in such crowded conditions especially today. How many people have spent a day at their child's overcrowded school to see exactly what the term "overcrowed" really means?. It is more than no seats and rushed lunch. I remember vividly having certian hallways in my school that my friends and I would walk outside and around the building to avoid walking down. We would try to be the first out of class in order to go outside and around the building and make it to our next class on time. The halls we wanted to avoid were really crowded. The halls were lined with male students and when we walked by hands would reach out and touch us inappropriately. Back then it was referred to as "copping a feel" today they call it sexual harrasment or abuse. We would turn around to try to see who hands (yes plural) had touched us only to find very large teen aged boys standing there looking back at us. We would report it to the teachers and when they had time they would "patrol" the halls. You cannot patrol what you can't see and you cannot see in a crowded hallway. This only made it more of a challenge for the boys and it did not stop. This is just one example of what "overcrowded" really means. Its a glimpse of what it can look like. I feel sure with drugs and bullying being much more prevalent today, it is at least that bad but probably worse. So my answer to the purposed question was both options scare me and they should all of you as well.

I understand wanting the best for our children, but be careful what you ask for... Highly rated schools buildings busting at the seams are in reality no safer than the buildings with structural issues. If anything the infastructure can easily be fixed.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:29 PM

451 posts, read 608,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewith3 View Post
correction meeting starts at 7pm, sorry about that I posted 6:30 they are trying to post the info on twitter @protectucps

it does not have opinions when tweeting just info
Is there any live video out there or is it just the twitter?

Or is the youtube stuff after the fact?

Old 02-04-2014, 05:42 PM

985 posts, read 1,649,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
Is there any live video out there or is it just the twitter?

Or is the youtube stuff after the fact?
just the twitter I believe but more info on facebook from same feed

Old 02-04-2014, 05:43 PM

this is really what someone said: may be improvement in trailer with active shooter.

really????

Old 02-04-2014, 05:52 PM

397 posts, read 578,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meandmrt1 View Post
I tried to respond earlier and I can't find it. It was probably too long. I will hit the high points.

I admitted earlier my child is in private school but explained we have been following this issue since the beginning and had hopes of him being in the public school system one day. Again, I am sure that will give plenty of people a reason to pass right by my comment as I am seeing things on this thread like "dog in the fight." This whole thing is shameful. From the way we got here to the way people are turning against one another.

I was asked earlier about choosing between an over crowded highly rated school and a school that is out dated, in dire need of repairs with lower school rating and lower population. Both should be unacceptable for all of us. Those should not be the two choices any parent should have to make and until we all get past the "their" school "our" school mentality it will not change. Why is it ok for any school in the wealthy county to be in such poor condition? Why has UC allowed there to be such a huge difference in the school's buildings to begin with? Why have we not all been willing raise h**l about the conditions of the school across the county so if our children are redistricted, the condition of the building would be the least of our concern? What I think is equally as disgraceful is the overcrowding issue. This too should not be acceptable. I cannot believe how many people are ok with their children being in such crowed schools. It is dangerous. Earlier I said I am a UC native that remembers when the county had only 4 HS. As you can imagine, my school was crowded. I would never want my child in such crowded conditions especially today. How many people have spent a day at their child's overcrowded school to see exactly what the term "overcrowed" really means?. It is more than no seats and rushed lunch. I remember vividly having certian hallways in my school that my friends and I would walk outside and around the building to avoid walking down. We would try to be the first out of class in order to go outside and around the building and make it to our next class on time. The halls we wanted to avoid were really crowded. The halls were lined with male students and when we walked by hands would reach out and touch us inappropriately. Back then it was referred to as "copping a feel" today they call it sexual harrasment or abuse. We would turn around to try to see who hands (yes plural) had touched us only to find very large teen aged boys standing there looking back at us. We would report it to the teachers and when they had time they would "patrol" the halls. You cannot patrol what you can't see and you cannot see in a crowded hallway. This only made it more of a challenge for the boys and it did not stop. This is just one example of what "overcrowded" really means. Its a glimpse of what it can look like. I feel sure with drugs and bullying being much more prevalent today, it is at least that bad but probably worse. So my answer to the purposed question was both options scare me and they should all of you as well.

I understand wanting the best for our children, but be careful what you ask for... Highly rated schools buildings busting at the seams are in reality no safer than the buildings with structural issues. If anything the infastructure can easily be fixed.

I 100% agree with you. All of it.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:05 PM

Wow, all of those people packed into MRH and discussion tabled until next week. Glad I opted to stay at home!

Old 02-04-2014, 06:07 PM

can also follow along here:
Protect Union County Public Schools | Providing information about issues affecting schools in Union County, NC

tweets appear along left hand side of that website (just scroll down a little) if you do not want to follow directly on twitter

Old 02-04-2014, 06:18 PM

451 posts, read 608,096 times
Upon returning home this evening from a flat, cold, grey becoming snow and icy place I found the following letter...

Dear Parent/Custodian:

Pursuant to BoE guidelines, a randomly selected sample of parents/custodians of Union County Public Schools students will be required to provide proofs of residence at the start of each new semester. The purpose of this requirement is to help identify students who are attending school outside of their assigned attendance areas.

Please be advised by this letter that you have been randomly selected to provide the required proofs.

Interesting timing. Anyone else?

Old 02-04-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Upon returning home this evening from a flat, cold, grey becoming snow and icy place I found the following letter...

Dear Parent/Custodian:

Pursuant to BoE guidelines, a randomly selected sample of parents/custodians of Union County Public Schools students will be required to provide proofs of residence at the start of each new semester. The purpose of this requirement is to help identify students who are attending school outside of their assigned attendance areas.

Please be advised by this letter that you have been randomly selected to provide the required proofs.

same timing as last year....we got ours then. Funny thing is they did not see all the responses for months after asking for it

Last edited by uswith6; 02-04-2014 at 06:30 PM..

Old 02-04-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:

Dear Parent/Custodian:

Yeah, I got a phone call 2 weeks ago asking for the same info. Although they asked for me by name, so I'm not sure it was random. Sounded like they were going down the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or