U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-05-2014, 09:06 AM
 
Location: Noth Caccalacca
5,553 posts, read 6,665,938 times
Reputation: 4837

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Yet you most likely moved down from NJ DUE TO THE HIGH PROPERTY TAXES..........

/Facepalm
Guilty as charged! But as cheap as I am, I also chose Monroe with its tax rate almost as high as Charlotte, but with better services than much of the rest of Union County. Schools were not a factor (no kids), but I understand where you're coming from ...on this issue!

 
Old 02-05-2014, 09:08 AM
 
2 posts, read 2,438 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
You realize that the current redistricting plan will tear apart siblings living in the same house?... is that better than a person that chooses to buy a house knowing they will go to a different school than their neighbor?

I get caps suck but at least it's a parents choice, vs. the forced redisctricting that is already tearing neighbors and families apart.

I'm well aware of that, as my daughter's kids will be affected in this very manner. Something I too struggle with. But I'm just trying to look at it differently there are plenty of folks that caps are being "forced" on. It's not like that type of information is quickly shared or available to new residents. Or how about the folks that are not necessarily directly affected by the cap but they are excited to have new neighbors move in but oh yeah their kids aren't going to be going to school with theirs now either. I think it just drives people towards less community involvement. Which I personally believe is the foundation to a solid future for everyone. I'm not necessarily in favor either way right now, we all know there's got to be change. But I personally feel caps are the worse possible choice. I guess 1 more year of caps might not be that harmful. But then what if it's another and then another and then another? I mean something would have to change eventually as your incoming Kindergarten classes would be really light I would expect.
 
Old 02-05-2014, 09:15 AM
 
985 posts, read 1,649,337 times
Reputation: 377
while the kids of overcrowded schools can move if they can provide the transportation, what about the teachers forced to deal with the overcrowding daily to just do the job they want to do. Let's face it teachers in this state (and many others) are not in the field for it's lucrative salary, they are in it for multiple reasons but the main is helping the next generation learn and grow.

With that in mind how is overcrowding even for 5 or so years okay?

UCPS has always tried to hire and keep the best of the applicants the get for teachers, but many are looking elsewhere for the pay, for the workload, etc.

You may ask, what’s 5 extra “snowflakes” per class? Depending on the class and the abilities of said “snowflake” it could be extremely time consuming. And are those “snowflakes” getting the attention they deserve?
We want the teachers to be the best, we all want the best for our kids, but sometimes we seem to forget about the people that have our kids in their care for hours a day, they deserve more too.
 
Old 02-05-2014, 09:15 AM
 
5,869 posts, read 7,698,493 times
Reputation: 3366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Yet you most likely moved down from NJ DUE TO THE HIGH PROPERTY TAXES..........

/Facepalm
Your post makes no sense. The poster specifically said they were thankful for the low taxes and realized that because of that things are different than NJ.
 
Old 02-05-2014, 11:34 AM
 
98 posts, read 145,448 times
Reputation: 61
Just would like to add that last night felt like a slap in the face. I don't think the BOE even cares. They had more than 24 hrs from the time the BOCC awarded the 3 mil to at least post on the website that they would need more time now?? Not wait till everyone rushed home to try and get a seat hr early to tell everyone sorry we won't discuss the re districting tonight! Everybody was there for one reason....to discuss it period! Then after all those Neighbors went out of their way to speak and have some good ideas and were willing to help and work with the BOE they turn around and not even say a word!!! After that last guy spoke they say " next on the agenda is" REALLY!!!!! That's what you say?? The first BOE to speak has some nerve to complain about social media bashing them. Now you know why everyone does. Because I think that was ignorant to just move on and not even say a simple " Thank you for all of your time and we appreciate the help and we should work together and try to figure this out" gee was that so hard? No but they couldn't even do that. They didn't even look at all interested when those people spoke. What a joke that was.
 
Old 02-05-2014, 11:58 AM
 
Location: Union County
5,783 posts, read 8,409,122 times
Reputation: 4818
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
Why is it that every time I quote the BOE I get slammed? We either trust their words or we don't. You can't pick and choose and explain away things that don't fit your agenda.

Because of people like this quote below... As long as you have people like this on "your side", you'll continue having issues with your case. Unfortunately I don't see how you separate yourself from this noise, but it's going to follow you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONYMETS View Post
Just would like to add that last night felt like a slap in the face. I don't think the BOE even cares. They had more than 24 hrs from the time the BOCC awarded the 3 mil to at least post on the website that they would need more time now?? Not wait till everyone rushed home to try and get a seat hr early to tell everyone sorry we won't discuss the re districting tonight! Everybody was there for one reason....to discuss it period! Then after all those Neighbors went out of their way to speak and have some good ideas and were willing to help and work with the BOE they turn around and not even say a word!!! After that last guy spoke they say " next on the agenda is" REALLY!!!!! That's what you say?? The first BOE to speak has some nerve to complain about social media bashing them. Now you know why everyone does. Because I think that was ignorant to just move on and not even say a simple " Thank you for all of your time and we appreciate the help and we should work together and try to figure this out" gee was that so hard? No but they couldn't even do that. They didn't even look at all interested when those people spoke. What a joke that was.
You're only hurting yourself with this attitude and giving people more reasons to ignore any valid point you are attempting to make.
 
Old 02-05-2014, 12:10 PM
 
98 posts, read 145,448 times
Reputation: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Because of people like this quote below... As long as you have people like this on "your side", you'll continue having issues with your case. Unfortunately I don't see how you separate yourself from this noise, but it's going to follow you.



You're only hurting yourself with this attitude and giving people more reasons to ignore any valid point you are attempting to make.
How am I hurting myself? Do you agree with how they handled that meeting? Were you there? That's how you treat people. Let me just say this. RESPECT is something you earn. Ignoring and not acknowledging people is just plain rude period! You get more respect at the DMV on a Friday at 4:30. I would of had more respect if there was an apology about the timing and a Thank you for bringing some ideas. But they had nothing to say.
 
Old 02-05-2014, 12:36 PM
 
386 posts, read 839,101 times
Reputation: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONYMETS View Post
I guess it's easy to see where you stand and who you are behind on this. I'm not looking for drama so don't accuse me of that. I was there because I want answers. Something that they can't produce. There is a lot of reasons behind why they are doing what they are doing. The dirt will come out once the smoke clears. I left because there was nothing else they were going to address that concerned me. I guess 80% of felt the same way. Let's see what's next for them.
And this is why the schools are in as much of a mess as they are. What the BOE does isn't important unless it directly concerns people. It irks me that so many people can say they had no idea about students going to school in buildings with leaking roofs, etc when it is part of the public meetings that occur. And if you don't go to the meetings, you should at least be concerned enough to read through the public meeting notes posted afterwards.
 
Old 02-05-2014, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Union County
5,783 posts, read 8,409,122 times
Reputation: 4818
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONYMETS View Post
How am I hurting myself? Do you agree with how they handled that meeting? Were you there? That's how you treat people. Let me just say this. RESPECT is something you earn. Ignoring and not acknowledging people is just plain rude period! You get more respect at the DMV on a Friday at 4:30. I would of had more respect if there was an apology about the timing and a Thank you for bringing some ideas. But they had nothing to say.
You're not articulating your issue well... at all.

I was there. I saw it firsthand and agree with how they handled that meeting - completely. One of the best points your side is pushing is to take time and get this whole thing right. Tabling the agenda item was the right thing to do and even agrees with that approach.

If you could look past getting butthurt that the board didn't respond one by one to each public speaker, you'd see the big picture... Otherwise it is obvious that was the first meeting you ever attended and have no clue how it works. There's no way there's time for the board to respond to each speaker.
 
Old 02-05-2014, 01:54 PM
 
386 posts, read 839,101 times
Reputation: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
I've been no fan of Stewart but had a chance to chat very briefly with him. I don't think it's fair for me to share what he said in a private 1 on 1 situation but he's not 100% in favor of redisctricting... he is however, 100% opposed to MCRs. He has some other solutions in mind.
It would be nice instead of him appearing to play the social media game, maybe he could share some of those solutions he has in mind since this is supposed to be a partnership. I guess I don't understand the secretness about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:13 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top