U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2014, 04:28 PM
Status: "North of Palm Trees, South of High Taxes" (set 10 days ago)

5,607 posts, read 6,697,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somersmom View Post
This! Back in the 'hood, for a 3K SF house (comparable to what you find in the Cuthbertson cluster), property taxes would be about $20K/year in a "good" school district, 2/3 of which went to school taxes! And those taxes went up anywhere from 8 to 12% a year! I believe that taxes on a similar type house in NC are about $4K.
How many of us moved to escape that insanity? Do we really want to duplicate that here?
I don't begrudge paying taxes that rise at the rate of inflation to keep the schools and the county as a whole, functioning on an adequate level, but I couldn't tolerate what occurred back home with Christie's 2% cap on property taxes (which excluded municipal employees' health care increases) that realistically became a 7-8% increase. Union County residents (especially ones in the eastern part of the county) would have a stroke with those increases! I never felt sorry for teachers in NJ with their much higher salaries and much better benefits, but here I do! One day this state is going to find its teachers disappearing at an alarming rate, going to other states or just getting out of teaching altogether. "Doing it for the kids" wears a little thin after a while. Sometimes it's a "Show me the money" situation.

But classroom size remains a big deal in education and I'm not sure I understand that. When I started kindergarten in 1957 (yeah ... I could be carbon-dated!) a class size of 35 to 40 was the norm and there was no such things as teacher's aides. When did all those teacher aides become a standardized feature of the classroom? Can't teachers control larger classrooms anymore? Granted, technology eats up a lot of the school budget, and there is too much "teaching to the tests", but what has happened to schools in the last few decades? No wonder so many parents are so upset with redistricting. Even the good schools really aren't all that good compared to the rest of the world!

Comments? Or am I too far out of the loop?

Old 02-05-2014, 05:12 PM

133 posts, read 288,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Oh, completely agree! They need to get the $3M and not pass it up. Has the formal offer been made public yet? Did the BOCC say they were giving $3M or did they specifically say for trailers only. I saw the press release but haven't seen the official offer.

Yercheck was just on the WBTV 6:00 news and he again said (paraphrasing) "When someone offers you money, you generally take it. We need to figure out the best thing to do with the $3 million." He seems to be deliberately not saying trailers and instead focusing on the money. I agree. Let the BOE choose how to best use it.
I attended the BOCC meeting Monday and this is what happened. After the invocation and pledge, the agenda was changed to have the public comments placed at the end of the meeting. I thought this odd and even wondered if the BOCC were being spiteful for all of the public comments that they had to sit through in previous meetings (since the 91 million jury verdict). BUT then Jerry Simpson added the school roof and redistricting proposal to the agenda.

Then once at the redistricting item, Jerry Simpson made the motion for the 49 MCRs and to work with staff regarding the details. Then they all took turns making critical and derogatory statements. County manager asked for clarification. Jerry Simpson clarified the 3 million for the 49 MCRs to relieve over crowding and remove the caps. The motion was unanimous.

I believe that this was done on purpose and that is why the public comments were moved. The BOCC needed an audience.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:17 PM

451 posts, read 609,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom of 3 girls View Post

Then once at the redistricting item, Jerry Simpson made the motion for the 49 MCRs and to work with staff regarding the details. Then they all took turns making critical and derogatory statements. County manager asked for clarification. Jerry Simpson clarified the 3 million for the 49 MCRs to relieve over crowding and remove the caps. The motion was unanimous.
So just to be clear the $3M is only available to purchase trailers if caps are removed?

Old 02-05-2014, 05:18 PM

Here is the YouTube link for the BOCC meeting.

Feb. 3 BOCC Meeting - YouTube

Old 02-05-2014, 05:23 PM

I think so. I would have to go view the meeting again. I was so mad, I didn't even wait for the public comments.

I remember being there two years ago begging BOCC for teacher assistant money. So for the BOCC to miraculously find this money is suspect at the least.

I have read all the BOE minutes too while comparing to the financials from the county. It is eye opening.

And I also attended the BOE meeting & while I left early, i don't believe the BOE took an offense to those who left. I serve on a board for my town and I am not offended when citizens leave after a certain issue is discussed.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
So just to be clear the $3M is only available to purchase trailers if caps are removed?
I am going to watch the tape and I confirm that. Also will note the minute marker so others can verify.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:40 PM

527 posts, read 637,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawmom75 View Post
I can't imagine Stewie whispered any grand new plans into Mike's ear last night. I think all of the options have already been laid out on the table.
Nice try to be clever, and I know it's difficult for you but please try to keep up

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
Agree, he didn't share the specifics with me either... I am just optimistic because I thought for sure I'd get the "there is no other way" response.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:48 PM

527 posts, read 637,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom of 3 girls View Post
I believe that this was done on purpose and that is why the public comments were moved. The BOCC needed an audience.
I'm a huge fan of Sherry Hodges... but don't you think it was "done on purpose" that she was the one to remove agenda item 12 from the meeting last night? I'm not saying it was wrong to have her do it but what do you think the reaction would have been if it would have been Stewart?

I'm glad that the BOE is working together and building camaraderie but they are playing the game as much as anyone.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:50 PM

Goto the 50 minute mark. Jerry Simpson mentioned Dr Ellis presentation on 1/23 and how 49 MCRs would meet this need if capacity for the next 5 years to allow the bubble to pass through. He said the staff could work out the details.

I interpret that statement to mean caps removed since he referenced the 1/23 presentation.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
I'm a huge fan of Sherry Hodges... but don't you think it was "done on purpose" that she was the one to remove agenda item 12 from the meeting last night? I'm not saying it was wrong to have her do it but what do you think the reaction would have been if it would have been Stewart?

I'm glad that the BOE is working together and building camaraderie but they are playing the game as much as anyone.
Absolutely. And I also believe that is why Mr Stewart was very quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or