Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2014, 06:54 PM

397 posts, read 664,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
It was never a recommendation, it was an "option". So was building an $81,000,000 cluster, that would take 5 years to build, house kids for 2 years, and then sit empty for the rest of eternity. That is not a recommendation, that is an option. So funny how people only hear what they want to hear, and all of a sudden it was a "recommendation".

Yes. Options. Not recommendations. Thank you.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:55 PM

451 posts, read 712,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys21 View Post
They identified one problem - overcrowding. Their option is to redistrict. That does not solve the problem. They should have a complete plan that takes it step by step on how to control all the variables which slows growth and prevents overcrowding.

Yes, there are outside variables that they don't control, but you know what, that's part of developing a plan. You identify them and determine how to make it work.
Redistricting does solve the overcrowding problem. The numbers prove that. The problem is that 15% of households with children under 18 don't like that option.

UCPS and the BoE don't control housing permits so they can't control growth. They don't even control capital expenditures so they can't just go build stuff.

The two key variables you identified they don't control.

Quote:

If they were smart they would have included the building repair issue as well. Because it goes hand in hand. You want kids to go to these schools? Make sure they're safe.
See lawsuit=$91M

Quote:

The presentation by Dr Ellis and Dr Webb? Troublesome, at best. If that was done at a corporation they both would have been hung out to dry. But their educators not corporate career people. She misspoke. Lets move on. Hopefully she apologizes for misspeaking. The deck itself? If you don't want something to be considered, you don't put it on a chart. Simple as that. They would have been better off showing the options without any costs associated with it. You can argue that the board saw the deck for the first time that night. Maybe as a finished product but I'm sure that the board saw a draft of it. If you're presenting to a group that's on your side you want them to see it and get their input. If they aren't, you let them see it for the first time at the presentation.
Got to disagree with you there. Anything less than what was presented, people would have said how they didn't do x, y, z. They covered options that hadn't previously been brought up and they put numbers to them. If there was a true conspiracy they would have just gone with the basics like you suggest.

Quote:

John Collins made a statement at the meeting the other night about how many times he's been involved in redistricting over the years (I don't recall the exact number but it was sizable). He said we didn't understand. Well if he's been involved in so many then apparently he doesn't understand because one would think that after so many tries he would have been leading the charge to find a better way to address the issues.
He has. Money grew on trees before 2008. It doesn't now.

Quote:
Now for all of us. 216 pages and counting. Hardly any well thought out plans. A lot of finger pointing and back and forth about whose right and whose wrong. It could be that half you guys are the BoE and the other half is the BOCC . You want to contribute, come up with reasonable ideas for a plan to slow overcrowding, fix the schools, and get the test scores higher for all students.
I thought a couple of weeks ago, it was on a friday night i think, we talked about the options and some variations of those.

Redistricting + $9.5M to fix roofs, etc. would fix the overcrowding, fix the schools and probably raise test scores for all students.

There is no silver bullet here. Every proposed solution has pain associated with it and that's the problem.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:22 PM

I must have missed your earlier posts... Very confused until recently.

Reduce overcrowding, eliminate trailers, scores go up.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:29 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,427,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
I must have missed your earlier posts... Very confused until recently.

Reduce overcrowding, eliminate trailers, scores go up.
The problem with that logic is that schools that have the highest test scores also have some of the highest enrollments. But hey what do I know? I'm just a dumb old hick from the county that reads Facebook.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:42 PM

No

Answer the question...

Quote:
What happened with test scores recently for Marvin ES, Rea View ES, SRES, Kensington ES, and New Town ES? Who had trailers? Who didn't?

I'm not going to do the numbers, I want you to do them...

Old 02-06-2014, 09:51 PM

Those HS aren't capped and don't have trailers.

Answer the question.

Quote:
What happened with test scores recently for Marvin ES, Rea View ES, SRES, Kensington ES, and New Town ES? Who had trailers? Who didn't?

Old 02-06-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:

Gee that wouldn't had much to do with the switch from ABC of Public Education to READY assessments that lowered average scores across the state? Naaaah it has to be those darn trailers

Old 02-06-2014, 10:03 PM

Why won't you guys answer the question?

Quote:

Old 02-06-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Why won't you guys answer the question?
or m m m maybe it was the green grass or the white walls that did it? Naahh had to be those stinky trailers.....

Student test scores drop significantly due to adoption of more rigorous standards | The Progressive Pulse

Old 02-06-2014, 10:27 PM

Wow the darkside has taken over

What were the actually scores and the changes???

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte