U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2014, 07:23 AM

45,251 posts, read 17,945,587 times

Advertisements

IMO, any argument to squash the BOE's plan to reassign students within the same school district that is based on discrediting the BOE, the school administration, or the role of school assignments in maintaining balance, isn't going to go very far.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:52 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,147,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metswin1 View Post
I think if you knew the parents that are doing a lot of the heavy lifting you would find there is definitely not a strong arm approach and a my way or the highway attitude. Quite the contrary. The Rally plan folks for sure know that the plan is not perfect and they welcome assistance! But they also should not have to take abuse--they are not the BOE or the BOCC and they are certainly not the ones that have created this mess! What they don't understand is what seems to be a steadfast refusal by the BOE to engage after repeated requests. They have tried over and over to offer up free time and talent to the BOE to no avail. So when Croal at least gets a reply from the BOCC to come and talk (knowing full well going in its political grandstanding by the BoCC), he probably feels he has to take the opportunity regardless. I have not seen a comment from Rally folks or Croal saying, "this plan is perfect". I think the main goal is to just get the BOE to slow down, consider all options(not just retread band aids), and take a look at what other districts across the country are doing to deal with similar circumstances.
Just so you know, I am a parent of children that are affected by the proposed forced busing plan. I also know several people that are on the "committees" including my SO. I am against the forced busing initiative, but I also know the realities of the situation. Your are correct, neither plan is prefect, but neither plan addresses really anything at all. When the rally plan was posted on the facebook page, I asked several relevant questions that I think anyone with common sense would ask. I was completely shut down with quite a bit of venom. I asked the question again in a different manner, and again was slapped up side the head. This is not how one builds a consensus. If a plan and its creators won't stand up to the scrutiny what chance does it have of getting any type of objective review by the BoE? It isn't good enough to just do the work, it has to be meaningful. I've said this before, there was a lot of hard work done on the Titanic. In my opinion, the rally plan is a desperate plea by overly emotional parents trying to protect what is theirs and that's all. I was told that if I wasn't on board with the committee's efforts, I should come up with my own plan. Actually, I've done that, and have sent it off to the BOE and got some pretty good feedback from members that might be surprising. In the rally plan, there were some really good ideas that should have been detailed more but instead of real facts, quotes were used. Leading with the busing of kindergartners all over the cluster was just simply not the way to go. My biggest problems with the rally plan is that it puts the all the busing on the backs of the smallest kids, does nothing to take in account any type of future growth except to build more schools or "buildings", does not even address the logistical nightmare it would cause if it was implemented and lastly it doesn't put a dollar figure on any of it. Basically it is a list of ideas put in a Powerpoint. It isn't a proposal, it is just a what-if sheet.

As far as the Croal plan, yes, Mike put a lot of work into it. Probably way more than necessary, but the good work was overshadowed with accusations and plain out inaccuracies. I've read the report page by page and I couldn't, at the end, tell you what exactly the report was about. Was it an analysis? a proposal? I hope that somebody finally vets the report and gives Mike some talking points tonight. The BOCC is going to put on a show, so I hope that doesn't back fire.

There's no reason at all that the BOE has to sit down and engage parents. The BOE was elected to be representatives by the parents. In that respect, us "parents" are already at the table. Yes, it would be nice to have sitdowns and talks over tea, but what does it solve? In the end, the reality is this, there are/ will be more kids in a specific cluster than there are seats to put them in. You simply can't put 10 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket no matter how you spin it.

Like all the other parents, I don't want my kids bused out of the cluster, we are already on our 3rd high school. But I don't care a lick about property values, sports, neighborhood cohesiveness or anything that all these "committees" rally around. I didn't build my house to go to a specific school as doing so would have been terribly naive and short sighted. However, I've invested countless hours and dollars partnering with the schools and the administration to build a solid educational plan for my children and I do not want to see that effort go to waste. I also have a real problem with Dr. Ellis and her progressive attitude toward the children's learning environment. But I can't sign on to anyone's plan that isn't fair to all children and can't be reasonably explained with a straight face. When or if someone comes up with that type of plan, even if it is just a framework of a plan, I will be happy to give it my complete support. But until then, I will continue to question both the validity and the motives of any plan regardless of the authors or the amount of work that went into it.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:52 AM

985 posts, read 1,653,431 times
I wish as much energy was put into helping and fighting for the teachers and the building repairs.

Kim Lynch, teacher at Porter Ridge Middle School and parent of UCPS student. UCPS well respected around state and reputation should not be tarnished by facilities. Teachers are backbone of UCPS but teachers forced to work multiple jobs, or to look outside of UCPS to maintain competitive wage. South Carolina ranks higher in teacher pay. Losing competition with South Carolina and CMS. Fears the community is at risk. Please support facilities and teacher pay.

I know our school has lost teachers during the middle of this year for less work and more pay to CMS. It is not going to stop until more is done. No one wants to work in a building that has a leaky roof, let alone one that needs even more major repairs.

I would love to see a huge "rally" around this topic, because in reality it all feeds in to what school people do our do not want their kids at.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:10 PM

2,105 posts, read 3,587,577 times
Live feed of the BoE meeting tonight:

Board of Education Work Session PDC, February 18, 2014 - YouTube

Old 02-18-2014, 04:35 PM

3 million rejected unanimously since it came at the expense of the already awarded funds by the court...so trailers are out...

MS Savage has a proposal to move kids within the cluster, so some middle kids (say some grade 6) in 3 clusters affected will be moved to elementary schools (where is room). High schools are not affected.
She is right to say that the 280 kids that are over cap should not affect and trigger the move of 5,000 kids...

Last edited by 28173; 02-18-2014 at 05:29 PM..

Old 02-18-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
3 million rejected unanimously since it came at the expense of the already awarded funds by the court...so trailers are out...
thank goodness

Old 02-18-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post

MS Savage has the best proposal yet to move kids within the cluster, so some middle kids (say some grade 6) in 3 clusters affected will be moved to elementary schools (where is room). High schools are not affected.
She is right to say that the 280 kids that are over cap should not affect and trigger the move of 5,000 kids...
the high school Savage's kids attend is out of room eventhough it is not at cap, I do not quite understand her thinking. The high school needs some relief, kids are not even in classrooms where they can do what is required for the class.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewith3 View Post
the high school Savage's kids attend is out of room eventhough it is not at cap, I do not quite understand her thinking. The high school needs some relief, kids are not even in classrooms where they can do what is required for the class.
they were clear that redistricting does not mean kids will be in "brick and mortar" classrooms, trailers are here to stay and be used in the future...hence my belief that only true solution should be increase school capacity by building additions (ASAP) and later new schools.

Last edited by 28173; 02-18-2014 at 06:02 PM..

Old 02-18-2014, 06:48 PM

387 posts, read 841,291 times
Can someone who was at the meeting summarize what was discussed, approved, voted, what next steps are happening, etc? I wasn't able to make the meeting or watch online and can't follow or make sense of all the partial updates on FB pages. Thanks.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catonc View Post
Can someone who was at the meeting summarize what was discussed, approved, voted, what next steps are happening, etc? I wasn't able to make the meeting or watch online and can't follow or make sense of all the partial updates on FB pages. Thanks.
it is less disjointed at Twitter follow this link and start at the bottom or where today's meeting starts and read going up

that did not work here it is:
https://twitter.com/ProtectUCPS

Last edited by uswith6; 02-18-2014 at 07:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or