Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2014, 04:23 AM

309 posts, read 766,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewith3 View Post
As for sign 2...well I worked fortune 500 for years and years and our roof leaked terribly. It even leaked after they had someone reseal it while we were in the building. We walked around trash cans of water. We had ceiling tiles fall down in desk areas and research lab areas from the weight of the water above them. This caused quite a waterfall effect ruining everything you had worked on. Many times it happened overnight so you would walk in to see peoples desks covered in water with tile particles all around the area. Maybe no Fortune 500 company here in Charlotte has these issues but certainly in other places. They really should research things before they use them.
I was thinking the same thing. I also worked for a Fortune 500 company back north and we had terrible facility issues at times. And they didn't always fix things in a prompt manner. They had to wait until the next round of layoffs for furloughs to afford some maintenance. I guess you could say layoffs and furloughs would equate to shifting kids to different schools?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewith3 View Post
The strong union workforce where we used to live always protested with signs, they did at a local grocery store there for months if not a year.
LOL! This reminded me of the union rat! When unions would protest in our area, they would bring out this giant inflatable rat! Think Macy's parade-size! It was pretty hysterical! Maybe the protesters could get a giant inflatable Yercheck or Stewart or something and take it from location to location! It would certain get people's attention!

Last edited by somersmom; 02-22-2014 at 04:24 AM.. Reason: quotes

Old 02-22-2014, 05:51 AM

189 posts, read 326,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raithfan View Post
This was the first thin I thought of when I read this:

First World Problems - YouTube

Thank you for this. As for the funeral today that people should be "mindful of"...you should be more than mindful. You should get some perspective and realize that there are way worse things than going to a "less than desirable" school. How disgusting that people will be protesting while half of the community is mourning the loss of a beloved father, coach, friend, husband, etc.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:13 AM

149 posts, read 536,079 times
Quote:
This was the first thin I thought of when I read this:

First World Problems - YouTube
Raithfan, you nailed it.

Now if all these protest signs said: FIX OUR SCHOOLS or NO KID BELONGS IN A SCHOOL WITH A LEAKING ROOF, I would get behind it.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:44 AM

398 posts, read 618,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whxwlvr View Post
Thank you for this. As for the funeral today that people should be "mindful of"...you should be more than mindful. You should get some perspective and realize that there are way worse things than going to a "less than desirable" school. How disgusting that people will be protesting while half of the community is mourning the loss of a beloved father, coach, friend, husband, etc.
Excellent, albeit sad, statement.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:30 AM

397 posts, read 664,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whxwlvr View Post

Really puts things into perspective, right?

Old 02-22-2014, 08:36 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,028,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Do I really sound like Mikey now? I need to step it up more if that's the case.
Quote:
My mistake. Sorry. Agree with TooLogical. You can't believe A thing that Mikey guy says...
LOLOLOLOLOL

I'm really glad the BOCC is now on the record that they're OK spending $3m of taxpayers money for trailers... This will be great to remind them of next year when we're arguing over tax increases because they're short money. We're seeing who the true fiscal conservatives are and who only cares about making headlines... Those headlines will bite them next year, guaranteed.

The funeral and standing kids out on busy roads with signs is just an incredible picture to me... It's almost like a joke, except it's so far from funny. Perspective is all out of whack.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:28 AM

451 posts, read 712,448 times
I look forward to the picture in the newspaper that has them standing in front of all the new housing development signs.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:03 PM

149 posts, read 536,079 times
In driving around this afternoon, I saw about 5 few people by the Weddington Harris Teeter , and maybe 8 at Sun Valley, mostly kids. I'm not sure if there was a larger crowd out there somewhere.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:51 PM

398 posts, read 618,996 times
I passed thru downtown Waxhaw twice today going to Lowe's on 16 (trying to get my man card back). Saw no one downtown at 10:30a or at 12:30p. Wife didn't see anyone from New Town elem back here (past d'town WXW). What am I going to do with this cardload of eggs?

Old 02-22-2014, 02:00 PM

31 posts, read 45,157 times
Union County, North Carolina - Where the middle class thrives - CNNMoney

Hopefully my copy/paste to the above link actually works. Imagine my surprise as I was scrolling through the national list of cities where "the middle class thrives" and found a photo of downtown Waxhaw!! Interestingly, the article specifically mentions the "western side" of Union County! Thought you might find this interesting.

On another note, 2 of my kids were affected by the stormy weather on Friday at their school. Both of them were forced to miss all of one AIG class, and half of the second AIG class. Apparently due to the storms, no students were allowed to leave the main building and go to the trailers. I do not know if this also impacted the kids who are assigned all day to a trailer. So after my kids are already behind from the recent snow days, they have now missed another day due to the trailer situation. What a shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte