U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 04:21 AM

189 posts, read 277,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
https://www.facebook.com/UCRFPOS

The county clowns started posting over there on Tuesday during the BoE meeting after one of the admins started texting with Bundy during the BoE meeting.

The other one basically the same stuff is for the real Kool Aid drinkers (same admins of course) is closed group but Aikmus is now a member of that select group so drink up...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/UCRFPOS/

Wow....I don't "do" Facebook...I had no idea. If I didn't know better, I'd say one of those pages looks like it's run by a former poster here.

Boycott school...lol,lol...I think that's a great idea, keep the little darlings home. Does that mean I'll have 25 in class instead of 35? Only 300 in the cafeteria instead of 450? Only 200 cars in the car rider line instead of 400?

I think they just solved the over crowding issue.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:42 AM

631 posts, read 738,411 times
Upcoming Meetings - Making sure I'm keeping this straight.

Tonight at the BOE working session they will review the proposals discussed last week. I hope they have more dialogue around the 3-4 options they seem to have focused on. It looks like they will go through with some redistricting and a good sized chunk of grandfathering. I'm curious to see where they land on the BOCC $3M offer. I also wonder how much of the conversation tonight is just going through the motions.

Thursday and Monday will be public hearing meetings at Monroe and Parkwood, respectively. These are the meetings where the public can voice their opinion. I'm assuming they will have time limits, but probably a very long list of people that are able to speak. Instead of having meetings at each cluster, they are centralizing them, but it serves the exact same purpose. Originally this would have been the place to push for alternative plans and recommendations. Considering the direction towards redistricting, I bet there will be more of the neighborhood vs neighborhood pleas.

People are frustrated that they are not having these in the clusters or that they feel the public didn't get a chance to voice their opinions. However, in today's age or email, social media and TV media, I'd venture to say the BOE has heard a lot more voices than in the past with just a set of public hearings. We know their inboxes are flooded. The BOE watches FB, reads emails, takes phone calls, even reads our forum here. The negative side of sending thousands of emails that tend to rant instead of persuade is that eventually the readers can't take anymore. There is no value.

Next Tuesday is the next regularly scheduled BOE meeting. Speculation is that will be the final vote. I'd imagine many people would welcome that.

Off we go.....

Old 02-25-2014, 06:50 AM

527 posts, read 637,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Thursday and Monday will be public hearing meetings at Monroe and Parkwood, respectively. These are the meetings where the public can voice their opinion. I'm assuming they will have time limits, but probably a very long list of people that are able to speak. Instead of having meetings at each cluster, they are centralizing them, but it serves the exact same purpose.
Initially that's not how I understood it but on taking a second look you may be correct. What's interesting is that during the meeting last week they tabled a vote on the cluster meetings, now they are going to vote on 'public hearings'... not sure what they are voting on since they've already been scheduled.

I think everyone is just ready for this to be over so they can get on with making the best decisions for their families. The administration and BOE have totally blown this entire process. There is a long list of things that we could look back on and say "what were they thinking?", but to me, the biggest mistake, was thinking that people wouldn't hold them to their word. You can't go into a public forum saying you've looked at all options and they are all doable and then throw up roadblocks to every single one of them except the one that was already decided behind closed doors.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:57 AM

397 posts, read 519,992 times
Mike...I agree 100%. They should have never said that and set false expectations.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:18 AM

631 posts, read 738,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
The administration and BOE have totally blown this entire process. There is a long list of things that we could look back on and say "what were they thinking?", but to me, the biggest mistake, was thinking that people wouldn't hold them to their word. You can't go into a public forum saying you've looked at all options and they are all doable and then throw up roadblocks to every single one of them except the one that was already decided behind closed doors.
Agreed! They started out with a very casual approach. That may have worked in the past on smaller shifts, but had no chance here. They needed to start with a polished detailed presentation with 2-3 near fully vetted options. Full of data, 80% accurate cost/size estimates, meaningful pros and cons, a deployment plan, and a clear path for the next 5 years laid out. Instead they came out with details at completely separate meetings: numbers at facility meeting, maps a week later, half assed alternatives a few weeks after that, and then a circus since.

In short, they should have come to us from day 1.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:19 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,056,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raithfan View Post
Mike...I agree 100%. They should have never said that and set false expectations.
I agree completely, they should have explored and have voted to rule out the options based on whatever issue they found unacceptable, rather than leave so many things on the table.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:05 AM

5,787 posts, read 8,436,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Next Tuesday is the next regularly scheduled BOE meeting. Speculation is that will be the final vote. I'd imagine many people would welcome that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
Initially that's not how I understood it but on taking a second look you may be correct. What's interesting is that during the meeting last week they tabled a vote on the cluster meetings, now they are going to vote on 'public hearings'... not sure what they are voting on since they've already been scheduled.

I think everyone is just ready for this to be over so they can get on with making the best decisions for their families. The administration and BOE have totally blown this entire process. There is a long list of things that we could look back on and say "what were they thinking?", but to me, the biggest mistake, was thinking that people wouldn't hold them to their word. You can't go into a public forum saying you've looked at all options and they are all doable and then throw up roadblocks to every single one of them except the one that was already decided behind closed doors.
The way things are accelerating I would not be surprised if they push ahead sooner than later. Time is not looking like it will help as the extreme ends of the argument are pushed to the limits. They have jumped the shark with innovative ideas at this point and many are just going the obstructionist route - NO BLOCK STOP. I'm not seeing anything constructive coming out publicly... When it becomes all about shame and guilt, it's time to move on.

This will likely bring it to a crescendo sooner, but I think it will get the healing started instead of another month of kids standing out on busy roads with signs, threats of 60 Minutes, boycotting school, and sitting around for 4+ more weeks coming up with even crazier ideas to top those.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:09 AM

985 posts, read 1,653,739 times
new location:
February 24, 2014
Union County Board of Education

The location of the previously announced regular monthly meeting of the Union County Board of Education has been changed. The Board of Education will meet on Tuesday, March 4, 2014 at 7PM at Porter Ridge High School located at 2839 Ridge Road in Indian Trail, North Carolina. The meeting will take place in the school's auditorium.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:25 AM

397 posts, read 519,992 times
Thank you Mikey...that was it. A decision has to be made and the healing can begin. This is getting uglier each day and certain elements are doing their cause no favors with extremism. I think the post earlier from the person riding in their car with a friend summed up all of this quite eloquently.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:46 AM

22 posts, read 28,599 times
It's all about Common Core....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or