U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 02:34 PM

527 posts, read 636,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I understand grasping at any alternative plan... But I know you heard Webb at the last meeting, these capacity numbers are not based on "extra elbow room". They're set based on building design and input from a committee of relevant experts - health, safety, police, fire, etc.
This is the same group that said MCR's are doable... show me the data from the experts and I'll buy in 100%. Not to beat a dead horse but it's just excuse after excuse for any and all alternatives besides redistricting.

Whether you agree or disagree with redistricting, at this point it is what it is, but let's at least be honest about what's going on.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:52 PM

397 posts, read 518,431 times
Let's put it on the table...Yes, I agree 100% with redistricting. If there are empty seats in some schools and overcrowding (which i believe there is) in others...redraw the lines and make the distribution work. It doesn't make fiscal sense to spend money when there is a lower cost solution.

Now...I see a bunch of self-proclaimed "fiscal conservatives" on some of the fb sites that are all for spending on MCRs, or lawsuits, or buildings. What is their motivation?

EVERYONE needs to "put it on the table" and say what they really mean (or fear). We all know that scores, ripping apart neighborhoods, etc. are all smokescreens.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:55 PM

sorry to blow up Mike...not aimed at you. You have consistently stood your ground and I applaud that. But I am about FED UP with the chatter. You really want to tank property value...keep the protesting and sit-its and hate speech up. I can tell you that EVERY letter I have sent to the BOE has been replied to. Because I was polite. Like it or not, we are in the south now and polite counts for a lot.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:27 PM

22 posts, read 28,561 times
Lucky for me that I don't have to deal with the redistricting. My home is in a safe zone at a very desirable school. My last child will be a rising senior. But I care about my community and my neighbors. I don't want my fellow neighbors to have their children uprooted for people that haven't even moved in yet. There are alternative solutions but the BOE has made up it's mind right from the start. Ok, you're going to redistrict. Dr. Ellis played the little game of "yes, all options are doable" but appears never to have had the intention of seriously examining all options. Remember, Dr. Ellis position is up for renewal this November I believe( The BOE determines her fate). If you support her, continue to show your support. If you feel that the current BOE and BOC are not capable of the issues, continue to voice your opinion. Things will change. For me, I believe all current students should hold their seats. If new people move in they will be aware of where their children will be going to school and can base their decision on that. Over and out. Sorry kids you have had to deal with the incompetence of our "leaders".

Old 02-25-2014, 03:30 PM

451 posts, read 608,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut to the chase View Post
Sorry kids you have had to deal with the incompetence of our "leaders".
I'm sorry kids you have had to deal with the idiot parents out there.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:35 PM

985 posts, read 1,649,893 times
Quote:
Lucky for me that I don't have to deal with the redistricting. My home is in a safe zone at a very desirable school. My last child will be a rising senior. But I care about my community and my neighbors. I don't want my fellow neighbors to have their children uprooted for people that haven't even moved in yet. There are alternative solutions but the BOE has made up it's mind right from the start. Ok, you're going to redistrict. Dr. Ellis played the little game of "yes, all options are doable" but appears never to have had the intention of seriously examining all options. Remember, Dr. Ellis position is up for renewal this November I believe( The BOE determines her fate). If you support her, continue to show your support. If you feel that the current BOE and BOC are not capable of the issues, continue to voice your opinion. Things will change. For me, I believe all current students should hold their seats. If new people move in they will be aware of where their children will be going to school and can base their decision on that. Over and out. Sorry kids you have had to deal with the incompetence of our "leaders".
doesn't it bother you that at your school kids have to take classes in rooms not assigned to a teacher, so if they have to find that teacher, they can't because they do not have a room. Or doesn't it bother you that your junior could be or may be in a classroom for science that is not a science room so they cannot do any experiments unless they borrow another room? And 3 or 4 weeks in there has been no science room borrowing.

There are a million other examples too

A few posts ago you said you hated common core, well in a science common core curriculum they are supposed to be doing labs...BUT without any science rooms left and having to use whatever room they are assigned they do not get that portion of the curriculum. BUT lets blame the Common Core maybe some kids would learn and retain more by doing a lab to understand the concepts.

But let's keep cramming them in to the space.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:41 PM

22 posts, read 28,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
I'm sorry kids you have had to deal with the idiot parents out there.
Wow. Someone differs from your opinion and you resort to the level of name calling. Nice.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Wow. Someone differs from your opinion and you resort to the level of name calling. Nice.
Take it as you will but if you have been following this thread with any regularity I think you would have to admit that the debate has been rather level-headed. I don't even want to try and compare to comparable fb pages.

All that being said, everyone is tired of the endless gamesmanship being played by the ant- crowd. Following people home? Really? Is that what we ahave become. I think it is perfectly acceptable to call a group of people that are advocating following people that disagree with you home to intimidate them "idiots". It is idiotic behavior and deserves to be called out.
However this turns out there will be winners and losers. Everyone has to respect and abide by the decisions. Vote 'em out if you aren't happy. That's your right. As of today you voted them in and they vote as representatives of this county and are obliged to vote on the behalf of the county and not just to placate a loud minority opinion.
How we react to the decision will REALLY show the kids what we are made of. Gracious in victory AND in defeat...let us hope so. I am fearing this will not be the case but one can dream...
(Sent from the back of a taxi so pls excuse errors)

Old 02-25-2014, 04:42 PM

527 posts, read 636,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raithfan View Post
sorry to blow up Mike...not aimed at you. You have consistently stood your ground and I applaud that. But I am about FED UP with the chatter. You really want to tank property value...keep the protesting and sit-its and hate speech up. I can tell you that EVERY letter I have sent to the BOE has been replied to. Because I was polite. Like it or not, we are in the south now and polite counts for a lot.
No problem, we've all blown up every now and then over this topic. I also apologize if my comments were out of line or insensitive to your situation.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:10 PM

31 posts, read 40,336 times
For anyone following the BOE meeting online, did you wonder if the certain "speech" by a certain member who will remain nameless should have be followed by "My name is _________, and I approve this message"?

I got a chance to see this person live recently, and they described themselves as a "lifelong politician". Now I know why....Jeez.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or