U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2014, 09:20 PM

527 posts, read 636,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
Please point me in the direction of one single post/thread on any site where a non-public official has been called out (phone numbers, addresses, etc.). I'm always open to being wrong... my wife makes it a point to set me straight every day so I can take it on a message board.
Dodge the question much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
Before getting to the non-public official threats at length. Because I will get those off of one of my favorite United FB sites. Including writing letters to the employer of a spouse.

I want to make sure that you are ok with the following:

1. E-mail spam to public officials wether they be BoE, BoCC, or state. Spam to be provided from constituents and non-constituents. Can we spam private addresses of public officials, because after all they are all public officials and there is no such thing as private? I got some of those that haven't been published.

2. Publish the home addresses of public officials

3. Publish the phone numbers of public officials

4. Publish the names of the children of public officials

5. Ask people to follow public officials home and picket them

6. Boycott business requests of public officials

7. Intervene at Church with the minister intervention requests for public officials

Just want to make sure because we are headed for a really slippery, messy slope especially after Sunday night's prayer vigil.
What I am ok with is not in question... All of this talk about being afraid to speak up in favor of redistricting is ridiculous. After all, it's the majority of the county....... right?

Old 03-02-2014, 09:34 PM

136 posts, read 157,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Upcoming Elections:

The state legislature looks like it will remain the same after the upcoming elections: GOP grip on General Assembly will be hard to break | CharlotteObserver.com. One third of them are running unopposed.

At a local level, we have quite the field running for the BOCC. An obvious hot topic of late around here. Filing ended Friday (BOE doesn't file until this summer). http://www.co.union.nc.us/Portals/0/...cand_rpt_2.pdf

BOCC Candidates:
Jerry Simpson (Rep) - Incumbent
Richard Stone (Rep) - past BOCC
Stoney Rushing (Rep) - past BOCC
Lance Simpson (Rep) - running as block of 3 - wife is active poster on (United)
Kim Ormiston (Rep) - running as block of 3 - used to be more active on FB, but less since filing to run
Tracy Kuehler (Rep) - running as block of 3 - past BOCC
Clinton Laster (Rep)
Sherry Hodges (Rep) - current BOE already campaigning during work sessions
Michael Alvarez (Rep)
Christopher King (Dem)

Any insight from our group?
I donít know any of them personally, but Iím curious to know if you think any are capable of ending this Hatfield-McCoy nonsense.

Iím not impressed with the political games from our BOCC, but I have to give them credit for making strides to put the county on a better financial footing (perhaps only by mistake). County Manager Coto came in to a real mess and has done an admirable job wringing out the county govt. in downtown Monroe. It wasnít pretty, but sheís made real progress. The BOCC thought they could introduce the same kind of financial discipline to the schools, game on...

Iím watching for someone to start the process of a joint committee between the BOE and the BOCC - the schools will have to work with their funding body to make sensible spending decisions, the Commissioners have to have detailed knowledge of the growing needs of a rapidly growing county. The turf war over who gets to hold the purse-strings needs to take a back seat.

If the three amigos get their seats at the table, I donít hold much hope. From what Iíve seen online, theyíve been sharpening their knives in the FB food-fight and are ready to rumble. I could be completely off-base, but I suspect theyíre drawing maps for new Cluster I and new Cluster II - the tooth-fairyís bringing schools for everyone.

I worry about Hodges too. From my memory of the court case last summer, I think I could explain fund accounting to my cat better than to the sitting BOE. I went too far - I retract my comment (but still cringe every time I hear the Ďjust hand over the $91MMí refrain). We may need to sit down together with a calculator to prove that Jerry Simpson and his BOCC buddies havenít buried a pot of gold somewhere (probably on the east side of the county).

Easy for me to say (or type into my iPhone sitting on my couch), I feel for the poor fool that has to go in and sort this mess out.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:43 PM

451 posts, read 608,177 times
Quote:
Dodge the question much?

What I am ok with is not in question... All of this talk about being afraid to speak up in favor of redistricting is ridiculous. After all, it's the majority of the county....... right?
That's a cop out and you know it.

This directly affects only 14% of students. I forget what % of households in the county it is. 50+ active commenters on the Untied FB account, 50 speakers at the last public hearing with a large number of those were for keeping Millbridge together. Help me out here six sigma you know the numbers but don't want to admit them.

Does a thoughtfully put together email to a BoE representatives count as speaking up or do we have to scream, jump and down and then fall to the floor like a 10 year old to make a point.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
That's a cop out and you know it.

This directly affects only 14% of students. I forget what % of households in the county it is. 50+ active commenters on the Untied FB account, 50 speakers at the last public hearing with a large number of those were for keeping Millbridge together. Help me out here six sigma you know the numbers but don't want to admit them.

Does a thoughtfully put together email to a BoE representatives count as speaking up or do we have to scream, jump and down and then fall to the floor like a 10 year old to make a point.
Only 14% of students, yeah what's the big deal... just numbers on a spreadsheet.

I really don't see what point you are trying to make. You want to talk about six sigma? The foundation of six sigma is voice of the customer. And guess what, sit on the sidelines and you have no voice. Void of Voice of the Customer you go to the numbers... and the numbers are clearly, without dispute, opposed to redistricting.

50+ active commenters on FB? Who gives a rip? I'm happy to agree that most of that small group is crazy and not so different than the extremely small group in favor of redistricting posting in this thread... also crazy.

"scream, jump up and down and then fall to the floor like a 10 year old"... Seriously? Are you paying attention? Stop making excuses and be heard.

Still dodging this? After all you are the one that brought it up.

Quote:
Please point me in the direction of one single post/thread on any site where a non-public official has been called out (phone numbers, addresses, etc.). I'm always open to being wrong... my wife makes it a point to set me straight every day so I can take it on a message board.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:47 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,049,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawdoc View Post
I donít know any of them personally, but Iím curious to know if you think any are capable of ending this Hatfield-McCoy nonsense.

Iím not impressed with the political games from our BOCC, but I have to give them credit for making strides to put the county on a better financial footing (perhaps only by mistake). County Manager Coto came in to a real mess and has done an admirable job wringing out the county govt. in downtown Monroe. It wasnít pretty, but sheís made real progress. The BOCC thought they could introduce the same kind of financial discipline to the schools, game on...

Iím watching for someone to start the process of a joint committee between the BOE and the BOCC - the schools will have to work with their funding body to make sensible spending decisions, the Commissioners have to have detailed knowledge of the growing needs of a rapidly growing county. The turf war over who gets to hold the purse-strings needs to take a back seat.

If the three amigos get their seats at the table, I donít hold much hope. From what Iíve seen online, theyíve been sharpening their knives in the FB food-fight and are ready to rumble. I could be completely off-base, but I suspect theyíre drawing maps for new Cluster I and new Cluster II - the tooth-fairyís bringing schools for everyone.

I worry about Hodges too. From my memory of the court case last summer, I think I could explain fund accounting to my cat better than to the sitting BOE. I went too far - I retract my comment (but still cringe every time I hear the Ďjust hand over the $91MMí refrain). We may need to sit down together with a calculator to prove that Jerry Simpson and his BOCC buddies havenít buried a pot of gold somewhere (probably on the east side of the county).

Easy for me to say (or type into my iPhone sitting on my couch), I feel for the poor fool that has to go in and sort this mess out.
Very true on the "vote for 3" group. First, I would be very weary to vote in a majority that is ready to take off with their own agenda. Second, when their agenda is unlimited spending. .....yeah, no. I don't see them winning on a "new schools for everyone" platform in a fiscally conservative county.

He, he.. .yes, explaining anything to Hodges and Savage seems excruciating. No, I can't imagine either two with any more responsibility.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:25 AM

189 posts, read 276,287 times
So I was looking at the BOE meeting schedule, looks like open comments tonight, facilities committee tomorrow afternoon and regular BOE meeting tomorrow night. Tomorrow night's agenda has "discussion" listed for overcrowding options and the action is listed as "Informational", not "approval".

My question is this, when are they going to put this thing to bed and take a vote? I know they need to get it decided by April in order to put things in place for next year. Just curious, this thing has dragged on long enough.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:31 AM

397 posts, read 518,338 times
[quote=Still dodging this? After all you are the one that brought it up.[/quote]

To a private citizen:

“If you don't have anything to contribute that will help stop redistricting our kids (since yours can go to school wherever your husband teaches!!!) then back the F off. I'm tired of you shilling parents posts that are being affected,when yours are not... Perhaps you are ready to tell everyone your husband has decided to teach in the Parkwood cluster so your kids can attend those schools so you won't be offended? Should we send the letter to Cuthbertson for you"

"youcan send your vitriol to me off the FB group..nobody cares to see this crap.just let me know what you would like me to put in the letter to Ms.Warr...thanks again"

Old 03-03-2014, 07:38 AM

5,783 posts, read 8,410,081 times
^^ Same person quote below... countless examples publicly - all indirect and twisted references to "doing something". Constant telling people what to do - conspiracies - nastiness...

Quote:
...And if not, what are we going to do with them if they push this fiasco through?
If anyone thinks for a second I would publicly speak out to get this person's (or several others just like him) wrath, you are sadly mistaken.

Clearly unstable people like this, who are self proclaimed "leaders of the true resistance", should freak out all people involved in this debate.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whxwlvr View Post
My question is this, when are they going to put this thing to bed and take a vote? I know they need to get it decided by April in order to put things in place for next year. Just curious, this thing has dragged on long enough.
The sooner the better. I actually hope that someone will make a motion to amend tomorrow nights agenda and push for a vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raithfan View Post
To a private citizen:

ďIf you don't have anything to contribute that will help stop redistricting our kids (since yours can go to school wherever your husband teaches!!!) then back the F off. I'm tired of you shilling parents posts that are being affected,when yours are not... Perhaps you are ready to tell everyone your husband has decided to teach in the Parkwood cluster so your kids can attend those schools so you won't be offended? Should we send the letter to Cuthbertson for you"

"youcan send your vitriol to me off the FB group..nobody cares to see this crap.just let me know what you would like me to put in the letter to Ms.Warr...thanks again"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
^^ Same person quote below... countless examples publicly - all indirect and twisted references to "doing something". Constant telling people what to do - conspiracies - nastiness...

If anyone thinks for a second I would publicly speak out to get this person's (or several others just like him) wrath, you are sadly mistaken.

Clearly unstable people like this, who are self proclaimed "leaders of the true resistance", should freak out all people involved in this debate.
That's it? Maybe it's just me but that fluff wouldn't stop me from speaking.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:54 AM

5,783 posts, read 8,410,081 times
Quote:
That's it? Maybe it's just me but that fluff wouldn't stop me from speaking.
No, like I said - that's an example... Feel free to read through the comments yourself.

Of course, none of this means anything to you - but when someone's job is threatened for disagreeing and "what to do with them" is insinuated as a threat that says volumes to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or