U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2014, 10:02 AM

985 posts, read 1,650,760 times

Advertisements

raithfan, the main privates are way out of the way for quite a few of them, but they will say that the 5stars makes it worth the drive.

(and I guess the cost as well)

I do not know how far other less spoken of privates are out of the way. I personally know 4 kids that started at a more local (read union county private) and after half a year they are ALL back at our school, grass is not always greener

Old 03-03-2014, 10:02 AM

631 posts, read 736,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raithfan View Post
I'm sorry but this is such a red herring. I sure wish it was easier to sort fb by poster. I've seen several posts where person A is so upset at the long drive and on another thread the same poster is planning to send their kids to private school or to charter school. All farther away than reassigned school (and the farther in the same direction for the charter).
Agreed, raith.

I'm just trying to prove it out about physically driving past school A to get to school D. I get the argument that school A, B and C might be closer (less miles) than their reassigned school, but is there one instance that they have to actually drive by A, B or C to get to D?

Old 03-03-2014, 10:14 AM

451 posts, read 608,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
- Approx. 1200 rising 10-12's could be grandfathered in (estimated).
I don't think this is far off. It could be tight at a few HS.

I could also see GFing some rising 8th graders at CMS.

Quote:
- There are neighborhoods that could/should be moved back, but I don't know how many of those will impact the final count. Less than 400 if I took a guess, as I don't see many large neighborhoods being able to do so.
Millbridge made a good case but it probably won't happen because Kensington is going to fill up fast in the next few years anyway. They are probably framing 10 houses or so in main part of Millbridge as we speak. Anybody know how many homes are currently being built or may be built over in the split part of Millbridge?

Valhalla Farms will probably make a good case tonight to stay Marvin. Barrington and Weddington Chase really don't have as good a chance but you will hear them.

Last edited by SunshineCJ; 03-03-2014 at 10:30 AM..

Old 03-03-2014, 10:21 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,051,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post

That's it? Maybe it's just me but that fluff wouldn't stop me from speaking.
I'm not going to take the time to go back and get exact quotes, I can't even remember the exact sites that they were on, but you had:
I dare them to speak for redistricting
Whoever speaks will have to answer to me!
Lets get a list of their kids and send to Monroe.
in addition to the name calling and bashing that is being done to the two communities that Savage told all her supporters that she was getting heat from.

In addition to the personal attacks to anybody that happens to disagree with them. I did see where one person was writing a letter to someone's husband's employer.

In addition, I've heard about several people getting direct messages, their names are being spread around, and people asking for their addresses.

Yeah, thanks, but no thanks. I like to live a drama free life.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:51 AM

44,519 posts, read 17,771,709 times
It has been my observation that these kinds of public meetings rarely have any influence on the outcome. They are dog and pony shows where the loudest get heard. They are not places where thoughtful debate on the issue will take place.

I still believe the BOE will vote for the proposed plan pretty much unchanged. 6000 students re-assigned, only rising seniors grandfathered. Their other option will be to do nothing, but that only means a repeat of this next year.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:01 AM

136 posts, read 157,260 times
Quote:
Fact Check Question:

Under the current reassignment proposal does anyone have to physically drive by one school to get to their reassigned one? I've seen this a lot lately, and I don't recall anywhere on the maps where that will happen. Some are claiming driving by 2-3 other schools on the way to theirs. Anyone?
I think a some folks drive by East Elementary on their way to Rock Rest, essentially unchanged in the reassignment plan.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:48 AM

631 posts, read 736,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
Of course it means something to me because everyone opposed to redistricting is getting thrown into a pot with 2 or 3 crazies.
Mike I definitely don't lump you into the crazy bucket. Far from that! I also have a lot of friends that are impacted and they are all acting rational as well. Frustrated, but rational. Unfortunately, many of the crazy folks are also the most public outside of FB, as well. That makes it tougher to listen to.

I choose not to speak up for 2 reasons:

a) My friends that are impacted. Through my kids sports and activities over the years we have met a ton of great families in the area. I've had one on one discussions with them about this and they obviously don't like the proposal, but they also understand the other perspectives of vacant classrooms, cost, not liking trailers etc. They also understand I'm not pro-redistricting, just because I don't like the other alternatives. They continue to argue their stance and I support them with that. I send my emails to the BOE supporting my views (and even get responses), but it doesn't benefit me at all to speak in a town hall and insult my friends publicly.
b) I don't trust the crazy ones. Nor do I have any desire to debate with zealots. There is nothing to gain from that conversation.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:39 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,145,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
Very true on the "vote for 3" group. First, I would be very weary to vote in a majority that is ready to take off with their own agenda. Second, when their agenda is unlimited spending. .....yeah, no. I don't see them winning on a "new schools for everyone" platform in a fiscally conservative county.
If you have voted in any past BoCC election, you have voted for candidates with their own agenda. Never saw a politician in this county that didn't have one.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:48 PM

103 posts, read 143,204 times
Quote:
I've yet to work for a corp that hasn't restructured every 3 years. And that's in over 25 years of employment. That's where I've learned to "embrace change". And few corps are ever going to take "radical" action due to the cost associate with unknown results.
A corporation restructuring every three years? Do tell. I'm not saying corps do not restructure but know few if any that go through the process consistently every 3-5 years. Possibly in the airline industry but invariably a restructuring will at some point result in a reorginization under a Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing.

I can't imagine a company repeating the same course of restructuring every 3 years to the satisfaction of shareholders.

Quote:
I've spoken and corresponded with Helms, Guzman and Pigg. They are all level-headed, intelligent servants of the district. They want what's best for all the kids in the county. Why don't they speak up in meetings. I don't know but it's probably the same reason no one ( including myself) didn't speak up last night. We don't want our families harassed.
I do not endorse harassment of any kind but respectfully these individuals ran for public office. Anyone that runs for public office is aware of the potential scrutiny one will come under regarding certain opinions or votes. It comes with the territory. These public officials represent us and a public official that consistently fails to communicate at public hearings is failing their constituents.

Lastly, this is still the South. Manners and respect are still very important to a lot of people. More should remember that. Do people think that the BOE members don't look at FB and other social media ( whether some think its "private" or not) . I can assure you they do.

Quote:
What would you do if you saw your name constantly getting dragged thru the mud in social media?
I do not disagree that some BOE members might look at social media but what purpose does it serve? What those BOE members should be doing is reading their emails and not deleting them based on subject line matter which I believe John Collins has admitted to doing.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:00 PM

103 posts, read 143,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDB1905 View Post
But please don't hold up Hodges and Savage like they are saviors to all. They are politicians who are hitching their wagon to a very vocal minority for the political theater and political gain.
Holding up Hodges and Savage as saviors? Please, get back to me when Helms, Guzman or Pigg open up their moutha to add something worthwhile to the redistricting conversation. Politics is all about political theatre and gain- we've been living through it as executed via the highest office in the land over the last 6 years. I'm not carrying the water for either Ms. Hodges or Ms. Savage but it would be nice to hear opinions and questions raised by members other than those two women. It is truly disheartening to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or