U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2013, 07:36 AM

238 posts, read 496,169 times

Advertisements

Parkwood Middle and High are terrible school. Extremely low rated. I wish people would stop trying to make people feel better by saying these are great schools too. They are not. MR Middle and High are in a whole other class then Parkwood. One big thing is MRH offers an IB program. Parkwood, nothing, just low test scores.

The politicians try to justify this move by saying Parkwood is a great school too, numbers don't lie.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:41 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,923,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somersmom View Post
The caps were enacted because the district had finally gotten the enrollment figures for the current year and those schools were more than 120 percent of capacity. The BOE has said it will be redistricting at the end of the current school year.

I think that people are starting to overreact. Yes, this isn't the best situation in the short term and upheaval through redistricting will have challenges. But Union County is still a great place to live and raise a family. The schools overall -- including Parkwood -- are excellent. And eventually this will be settled.

The alternative is CMS, where you risk social engineering. Or South Carolina, which has its own set of issues.
For some Parkwood isn't an alternative they are willing to take. I know for one I was hoping to move back to Union County when my hubby gets his final placement. (not sure where in the city yet) But with this stuff going on, I won't consider it. Especially with no new schools being planned on and yet there are so many communities being built.

I am now looking to stay where I am or North.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:51 AM

Momtothree - You are not the only one. I've spoken with some of the sales people at the larger communities like Lawson and Millbridge. They are already seeing the effects. They are seeing people pull out, even asking for deposit money back citing breach of contract.

So way to go BOE, you will not single handled destroy the city that had so much promise.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:54 AM

161 posts, read 263,918 times
I attended three private school open houses last week and it was jammed w/ families from Union County. Sad. I really hope a solution is found soon for the sake of everyone!

Old 11-21-2013, 10:56 AM

985 posts, read 1,653,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbound01 View Post
Parkwood Middle and High are terrible school. Extremely low rated. I wish people would stop trying to make people feel better by saying these are great schools too. They are not. MR Middle and High are in a whole other class then Parkwood. One big thing is MRH offers an IB program. Parkwood, nothing, just low test scores.

The politicians try to justify this move by saying Parkwood is a great school too, numbers don't lie.
This is true but anyone in the county can apply to IB it is not just for MR kids, although that is who attends but any study in the county can go into the MR IB program if selected (much like CATA)

Old 11-21-2013, 10:59 AM

985 posts, read 1,653,431 times
Funny thing is people moved to Union when CMS did the same thing, we gave tours through the middle school at unbelievable rates.

When the final redistricting takes effect people will decide then. I find it hard to believe everyone will leave for the $20K/year schools without knowing all the facts.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:18 PM

We toured private schools last week too. The tuition is steep, but my kids education is very important.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:03 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,056,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanne1776 View Post
So, is anyone else trying to buy a house in Union County right now? This is ridiculous. Of course there is always going to be redistricting and no promises- I totally get that. It's the charade of the capping which irks me. The schools operate at overcapacity for several years and then they suddenly place the caps to "justify" redistricting? We wanted to buy within Marvin Ridge school district before next year, but now this is going to make us forget Union County altogether. I have a 7th grader and a 4th grader that would be bussed out to Parkwood, while my HS kid goes to Marvin Ridge? I don't think so! I certainly can't buy in any UC town if I don't know what the district boundaries are... each town will bumping the population of the next.. ugh.. why don't they just redistrict right now? You know they have all the numbers, give me a break..
redistricting is not something you do from one day to another. They need to get the projections done, look and discuss the projections, make a decision, have a public hearing, and vote on redistricting. And they do it effective the beginning of a school year, not just abruptly shuffle kids out of their school mid school year.

They aren't capping schools to justify redistricting, they are capping schools because of safety concerns. there are other schools operating above capacity, but 120% is the magic number.... your kid just wouldn't fit in Marvin Ridge, there are already 2 to a locker and 45 kids in some classes.

Quote:
Anywho, question for anyone who has already dealt with UC capping in the past- How long were you capped with new kids being bussed all over? 1 year? 3? 10? How long can they keep it up? Is the current cap just for this year, and they will definitely redistrict by next year? What's the word?
usually 1 year, while they are in the process of redistricting. They are planning on redistricting next year. But the cap can be in affect for longer. For example, MR has a "bubble" in 6-8th grade right now, so redistricting might lower the elementary and high school numbers by too much (elementary is only at 80% I believe), so it would make sense to me if they might choose to cap those grades for longer??? I don't know, its only my opinion and is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Quote:
Also, for those of you who have seen it all before, what is the timing of when they announce the redistricting plan (if they are going to)? March, April, May, June? Or do they wait till the day before school opens? Do they at least announce "we will not be redistricting for the year 14/15" by a certain date so we can plan??

Really hard to justify laying out $$$ for a house with this uncertainty! Geesh! Thanks so much for all your info- these posts are invaluable.
The timeline is based on monthly board meetings. They will first begin to discuss it on Dec 10th, when they get the projections down. They will come up with a plan, then hold a public meeting I think sometime in March. Decision will be made after the public meeting and all parents will be notified in April. It will be in effect for 2014/2015.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlottean View Post

This really stinks for everyone. We have several friends that have one in Marvin Elem and another in Marvin Middle. One family has a rising 5th grader that will next year will be bussed across Union to Parkwood when entering 6th grade, while the other sibling gets to stay at Marvin Middle. They paid $875K for their home 8 years ago.
How is someone that has lived here for 8 years been affected? If their kid is in 5th grade now and has been in Marvin Elementary all year, they will go to Marvin Middle. Only kids that are registered in 5th grade after the cap will be bussed to parwood, IF the cap is still in effect. They are very incorrectly informed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbound01 View Post
Momtothree - You are not the only one. I've spoken with some of the sales people at the larger communities like Lawson and Millbridge. They are already seeing the effects. They are seeing people pull out, even asking for deposit money back citing breach of contract.

So way to go BOE, you will not single handled destroy the city that had so much promise.
So construction will slow down, and that is all the BOE's fault??? Not understanding, new construction is what has put us in this mess.

And in what part of the contract does Millbridge and Lawson state that they have control over school assignments? Good luck with a breach of contract, everybody with an ounce of common sense knows that school zoning is variable..... they can say goodbye to their deposit money.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:13 PM

161 posts, read 263,918 times
Beyond the redistricting I have heard so many bizarre staff/Teacher stories...I wonder what the heck is going in UCPS!

Old 11-21-2013, 08:55 PM

2,148 posts, read 3,671,843 times
The kids that do well at schools like Parkwood have better chance for college scholarships or getting into schools that are tough to get into. My son has 4.7 at WHS and is ~40 in his senior class. He would probably be one of the top kids in Parkwood. There is also option of the magnet school Central Academy but there is probably a waitlist. My daughter graduated there and it worked out well for her. CATA was not at capacity, in past years they led UCPS in college scholarship money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or