U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2014, 04:32 PM

985 posts, read 1,650,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWOMANY View Post
This might be a dumb question but why isn't the MS capacity the same as the HS it feeds and where does the extra students come from? Religious or home schooling?
middle schools have 6, 7, 8
high school has 9, 10, 11, 12

that is just one reason

Old 03-05-2014, 04:43 PM

103 posts, read 143,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
Read the McKibben report. It's all right in there.
Yes we know it's over but please referring back to the McKibben report? LOL- no doubt your ties to the BOE run strong to refer back to a reporting service that is flawed to say the least. Maybe the next time the BOE will ditch McKibben for the most accurate demographer in the business, ESRI. Esri Demographic Data Most Accurate in Blind Study

Old 03-05-2014, 05:03 PM

631 posts, read 736,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWOMANY View Post
This might be a dumb question but why isn't the MS capacity the same as the HS it feeds and where does the extra students come from? Religious or home schooling?
This is like trying to figure out why CMS and MRMS were so different.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:11 PM

14 posts, read 18,609 times
Sorry, that was a dumb question. Forgot about 3 grades compared to 4. You can see how much this upsets me. My kids went to WCES when there 29 trailers and 200% capacity. Now my son is in 10th grade at WHS and wants to stay there if we can get him transportation. My daughter is in 8th grade at WMS and will be attending SVHS. I was really hoping that they both would be at WHS. The people that are not affected by this redistricting are really lucky. Please try to bear with us. Thank you.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:40 PM

98 posts, read 145,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
I agree it's over, and I'm glad it is... but there are others that don't think so. Expect another rally as early as this weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Is GONYMETS still around? IIRC they lived in Millbridge but were claiming to be completely anti-redistricting. Curious if they're still going to be out protesting.
Not sure why you have to bring my name into this? I stopped posting awhile ago because I figured there was not much I could do about any of this. I still go to the meetings just to stay informed . The only thing that upsets me is that it seems like everyone wants to blame my community. As if it's our fault. The only thing I can say is the layout of this community was planned in 2007. There fore they knew they would need a school if the economy stayed as it were. Do cuthbertson was built and opened in 2009. Now it seems everyone is surprised we are able to stay?? With all the research that everyone did nobody knew about this?? I think not. Everyone just cared about their own a$$ and just wanted a scapegoat and threw this community under the bus. Finally I do feel for EVERYONE that is affected regardless of my situation. It isn't fair to anybody. But you need to leave me out of it. thank you

Old 03-05-2014, 05:59 PM

Unfortunately, Millbridge is going to take more flak now because of that amendment. (There should have been more if someone didn't walk out.) It's definitely not fair to the residents. They didn't do anything except buy homes like the rest of us. The resentment is aimed at the developers but it never comes across that way. Lawson is the same way. Two big neighborhoods that stressed Kensington... resulting in the moves across Cuthbertson and New Town.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:03 PM

451 posts, read 608,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINYTransplant View Post
Yes we know it's over but please referring back to the McKibben report? LOL- no doubt your ties to the BOE run strong to refer back to a reporting service that is flawed to say the least. Maybe the next time the BOE will ditch McKibben for the most accurate demographer in the business, ESRI. Esri Demographic Data Most Accurate in Blind Study
Gee, then it's pretty interesting that McKibben was one of the four most respected Demographers on the panel selected by ESRI to do the study where they tout their success rate...

"To conduct the study, Cropper GIS assembled a renowned team of demographers and geographers who specialize in population and housing forecasting. The team consisted of Jerome N. McKibben, PhD, McKibben Demographic Research; David A. Swanson, PhD, University of California, Riverside; Jeff Tayman, PhD, University of California, San Diego; and Matthew Cropper, GISP, Cropper GIS.
Drs. McKibben, Swanson, and Tayman are noted authorities on small-area forecasts and measures of forecast accuracy and have written and presented papers extensively on these subjects. Cropper has a broad background in geographic information systems (GIS) and demographic analysis. The researchers did not know the identity of the vendors or the methodologies the vendors used to update their data."

Why people kept referring to other firms and meaningless reports as part of this process is beyond me. It's like those that had that late fascination with bus mileage and accident reports or others that got into mold reports and EPA regulations. What was that about? Do you think that kind of stuff would ever come into the decision making process? Opposition to this lost focus and got distracted by squirrels and started chasing them.

Tag, your it.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:27 PM

18 posts, read 28,482 times
I too have a dumb question, is what they approved last night based on the cluster maps released in January with the only changes being Millbridge and grandfathering? I haven't seen any new maps since yesterday......

Old 03-05-2014, 06:35 PM

451 posts, read 608,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Unfortunately, Millbridge is going to take more flak now because of that amendment. (There should have been more if someone didn't walk out.) It's definitely not fair to the residents. They didn't do anything except buy homes like the rest of us. The resentment is aimed at the developers but it never comes across that way. Lawson is the same way. Two big neighborhoods that stressed Kensington... resulting in the moves across Cuthbertson and New Town.

Millbridge shouldn't take any crap. It looks like they were one of a few groups that didn't chase squirrels. They kept quiet, organized, made thoughtful presentations at the public hearing, and most importantly found a BOE rep that would propose their amendment.

I thought Valhalla Farms also had a similar argument and approach. Maybe they didn't specifically propose an amendment or they picked a rep that walked out.

Some of us saw this coming, the amendment process, not necessarily the motion shift but that also was foreshadowed.

It would be interesting to know if any other subdivisions other than Millbridge approached their own BoE rep or another friendly rep with a well thought out argument and amendment.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northunion View Post
I too have a dumb question, is what they approved last night based on the cluster maps released in January with the only changes being Millbridge and grandfathering? I haven't seen any new maps since yesterday......
Not dumb at all. Yes, they used the January maps. Part of Millbridge was originally in the plans to stay, and the other part off Waxhaw-Marvin Road was to Parkwood. If they get the connector road built in the neighborhood, it will all go to Cuthbertson.

http://www.ucps.k12.nc.us/links/proposed_maps.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or