Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2014, 03:37 PM

398 posts, read 619,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewith3 View Post
I would do this too!
My daughters class sent a letter to HGTV...I found that funny

Old 03-07-2014, 03:43 PM

398 posts, read 619,048 times
Why is Craig Horn sticking his nose in this? Doesn't he realize that trying to bully the BOE can't look good. He is appeasing a small group.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:19 PM

137 posts, read 191,151 times
I don't think the lawsuit will have legal standing if they go the Sunshine route because of the language used on the agenda. It was vague, but I believe it did say there would be discussion and votes on something like "possible ways to alleviate overcrowding", no? And even if the lawsuit worked, they would simply need to revote with more precise wording on the announcement, right?

Old 03-07-2014, 04:36 PM

631 posts, read 892,514 times
How timely! UC but on a bigger scale? Kansas Supreme Court ruled that the Kansas legislature violated the state constitution by underfunding the public schools.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:22 PM

451 posts, read 712,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Again, this is all just more reasons why the next few months will be fun to watch.
The joint BoE/BoCC meeting on March 18th is going to be really, really fun. Must watch TV.

So now Aikmus is now trying to convince the kool aid crowd that the BoCC and not the BoE should control capital spending for schools. Because you know the BoCC is really good at running things, just don't look at the DSS. If not that then have a third party control capital spending.

Kool aid crowd, who aren't really Republicans (raise my taxes please...), in turn thinks it has it in big with local Republicans.

Clowns recruiting more clowns. In this case you may well witness the destruction of the UC Republican party in the next couple of months.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:23 PM

103 posts, read 162,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I'm not sure - I just see groups forming and looking to take "legal action"... maybe loopholes? I don't frankly know. But I've yet to meet an attorney who won't lobby for and represent you on anything for billable hours. I'm sure some people are desperate enough to buy in.
Most attorneys who are retained for a litigation matter take it on a contigency. They are not paid hourly, they are paid a percentage if they win/settle which is why attorneys only take on a litigation if they believe the facts are in their client's favor. If the attorney loses, the attorney does not get paid.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINYTransplant View Post
Most attorneys who are retained for a litigation matter take it on a contigency. They are not paid hourly, they are paid a percentage if they win/settle which is why attorneys only take on a litigation if they believe the facts are in their client's favor. If the attorney loses, the attorney does not get paid.
Contingency?

What planet are you on? This isn't for $$$s.

Cash up front in a retainer, then hourly as the retainer is drawn down.

I want to see the Chp 11 guy argue the case...

Old 03-07-2014, 06:12 PM

103 posts, read 162,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
Contingency?

What planet are you on? This isn't for $$$s.

Cash up front in a retainer, then hourly as the retainer is drawn down.

I want to see the Chp 11 guy argue the case...
I said most attorneys. I never said they would not take a retainer. They still need to get reimburse for out of pocket expenses. I was merely responding to the original "generalization" that an attorney would not turn down billable hours. It was that blanket assumption that drew my response.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
I said most attorneys. I never said they would not take a retainer. They still need to get reimburse for out of pocket expenses. I was merely responding to the original "generalization" that an attorney would not turn down billable hours. It was that blanket assumption that drew my response.
Ok, NY legal genius. Forget the retainer, what are the the $$$s involved the case for a "Contingency"?

Once again the kool aid crowd is operating in a world they do not understand.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:16 PM

124 posts, read 162,119 times
Quote:
Let's put aside parent involvement here for the moment. You seem to be a BOE sympathizer so where has that board and UCPS been over the last 20 years as they watched a good number of their elementary, middle and high schools fall into disrepair?

Sure attack Ms. Hodges and Ms. Savage at least they are doing the people's work- how can you defend Ms. Helms? Mr. Pigg? Mr. Guzman? No words or actions from these characters.

Redistricting resolves nothing and only creates division amongst families, neighbors and neighborhoods.

Did you ever stop to think that the other BOE members are doing the "peoples" work, you know, the people in their district that elected them? There are more districts in Union County other than the western districts. Did you ever stop to think that perhaps their constituents have been flooding their email as well asking them to vote for redistricting, to make better use of $3 millon dollars and by doing so they did what their constituents asked them to do? If so then that would mean that the districts out in the western part of the county were outvoted, hence our democracy. I am like a lot of people, I'm neither pro or against redistricting but what I AM PRO for is repairing our older schools, that does NOT make me or anyone else who feels the same as I do a BOE sympathizer! It simply means that it's time for these schools to be repaired, it's time some of the BOE money is sent their way unlike the past 8-10 years when the majority of the money has been spent building NEW schools in the western part of the county. I read somewhere the other night that it costs $42 million to build a new high school and $25 million to build a middle school. When the whole budget for the year for the BOE is $85 million (for 2013) or less there's not much money left after building a school. You and everyone else moved to a county wide school system NOT a neighborhood school system. There's no where in your sales contract from where you bought your home where you signed a contract with the school system stating you'd never ever be redistricted. While I can empathize with your plight I more than empathize with the plight of my nieces and nephews who are sitting in old schools breathing black mold along with everyone else in those buildings, that stuff kills! So it is a much bigger emergency to ME and a lot of other people to get these schools cleaned up and repaired than it is to save some parents from driving an extra 10 miles in the morning or afternoon, there is always the bus that your kids can ride. Before you start with the oh poor lil Jimmy/Jimmette will be on the bus for an hour each way, there are thousands of students who now ride the bus longer than an hour each morning and afternoon right now. I drove a school bus in high school for Union County and my route was 2 1/2 hours in the morning and 2 1/2 hours in the afternoon. As far as sub-par schools go, it's ironic that the average SAT score at Parkwood is within 18-90 points of these so called academically superior schools, as is Sun Valley, you'll find that in your Croal Dude report that was prepared by a parent who strongly opposes redistricting. Also, ironic that the only kid in Union County in the past 35 years (according to Ed Davis, previous superintendent) that had a perfect score on the SAT was by a Parkwood student a couple years ago. Education is all about what you put into it, if a child applies themselves and with parental support the possibilities are endless. As far as the $40,000 to build a track, guess what, the school system would have built that for you if you had waited until funds were there to do so, that one is on you all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte