U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-11-2014, 09:50 AM
 
397 posts, read 580,754 times
Reputation: 284

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staynclassy san diego View Post
nckeith, you are completely wrong and quite honestly offensive to even suggest this.
Not many know but the HOA that manages Wesley Oaks also manages two other neighborhoods so "Wesley Oaks" is really made up of three different neighborhoods (The Glen and The Estates). All three neighborhoods are going to SV and as a resident I can assure you there are many in our 3 neighborhoods that are embarrassed by the actions of the loud mouth minority coming out of our neighborhoods. If you knew the "leaders" of this resistance in Wesley Oaks, you would realize some of them have very bad reputations in the community but now have an audience with others who are either unwilling or unable to think for themselves. The animosity they spew is egregious and I truly feel for the parents, students and administration at SV and PW.

So bring on the questions that may come up.....Yes I would have liked to stay at Cuthbertson but it didn't happen and guess what....my kids will be just fine and won't get beat up, bullied, picked on or receive a bad education. They will still have every opportunity to be successful because I choose to be involved. What better way to help your children than to take this as an opportunity to work with them closely through the change because guess what....it won't be the last time in their lifetimes they will have to deal with change.

Lastly, I did have a good laugh at your comment when I spoke to one of my friends in the neighborhood who is, as you say, one of the "people of color" going from Cuthbertson to SV. He feels the same way as I do and his children will be just fine. No need to put all of us in the same box....it's a big world out there.

Well said, San Diego. So glad to see someone who can accept change and be there for their children during this hard transition. It is refreshing. And I agree - there is absolutely no way that a few loud ones can represent the majority. Thanks for sharing :-)

 
Old 03-11-2014, 09:51 AM
 
631 posts, read 739,057 times
Reputation: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by nchammer View Post
so in your mind its ok to give the BOE a pass for not listening to "valid" arguments because their email box was too full? really?
Not saying that, at all. I just checked with my mind and it verified that's not what I was thinking.

The noise was so much louder than the rational solutions. The noise said "Zero moves, no negotiating." The noise had personal attacks. Not even the intelligent jlat's of the world could get a word in edgewise with the noisy groups. The noise was so loud that even Savage forgot negotiating was an option. A different tactic would have worked much better from the start.
 
Old 03-11-2014, 09:56 AM
 
136 posts, read 157,549 times
Reputation: 114
Even those of us in the 'redistricting camp' saw that busing Millbridge was too far. Bureaucrats made the plan at the direction of the board and this was the extreme case of the move. The delta was too big, more than any other on the map.
#'s make sense here, no need for conspiracy theories on this one.
 
Old 03-11-2014, 10:10 AM
 
98 posts, read 116,858 times
Reputation: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Not saying that, at all. I just checked with my mind and it verified that's not what I was thinking.

The noise was so much louder than the rational solutions. The noise said "Zero moves, no negotiating." The noise had personal attacks. Not even the intelligent jlat's of the world could get a word in edgewise with the noisy groups. The noise was so loud that even Savage forgot negotiating was an option. A different tactic would have worked much better from the start.

logical, I will respectfully disagree....while there was plenty of "noise" as you put it, there was also plenty of people and neighborhoods that presented very valid reasons, not just for no redistricting, but also why their communities should stay in their current cluster. other than Millbridge, they didn't listen to any other argument. If you want to say there were unreasonable requests, I will give you that. by the same respect, even a supporter of "forced busing" (lol, my own sarcasm) has to admit some of these other developments had legitimate claims and very valid reasons to stay, and the BOE pushed them aside without even listening
 
Old 03-11-2014, 10:18 AM
 
98 posts, read 145,849 times
Reputation: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by nchammer View Post
that makes no sense....I don't live there, but how can one neighborhood dictate where they are going? I guess you are insinuating that WO was somehow given the choice of "if you be quiet you will go to Parkwood with the rest of the Cuthbertson people, but if you fight it, you get to go to sun valley"? When the original lines were drawn, the WO neighborhood was slotted for SV, not Parkwood. That's an oversight on the facilities committee, not the residents. Some speakers brought up the fact they were moving alone to SV. so the BOE should have proactively corrected it. There were MANY neighborhoods that campaigned to stay where they were, yet to only accommodation was given to the Millbridge neighborhood
Let me clarify something that " A Lot" of people seem to forget. Millbridge was NOT accommodated. Everybody is bashing this community and it's BS already. Everyone wants to look at MAPS? Good. Look closely then. Millbridge happens to be the "Furthest" yes that's right the furthest from where everyone keeps saying we should go. It's 12 miles and that's from the main entrance. Marvin is 3.6 miles and Cuthbertson is 4 . As far as the amendment everyone is complaining about. Millbridge was also the ONLY community split in half. So it only makes sense they wanted to stay together. If they cut every neighborhood in half you would have an argument . But they didn't. I'm not for all this stuff going on but it's getting old that all the blame is on Millbridge. Go look at the lines from 2007 and you will see where you ORIGINALLY went. That should be everyone argument if that's what you choose to do. Everyone is saying Millbridge is so big well what about Lawson? They just blew out across the street from them even though the one side is no where near done. Any questions about that? Nope. Heck what if Lawson filled Cuthbertson would everyone feel ok with that? I get how close they are and good for them. But stop throwing Millbridge out there like we are the problem. Build Cuthbertson Elementary and put a couple of mobiles at Marvin Middle Problem solved for a few years maybe. Look at the main problem causing this, it's Kensington. My neighbors can't even go to the school on Millbridge property? Lawson has 236 kids enrolled there. Like I said build Cuthbertson Elementary and you might see a big difference. But we all need to work TOGETHER not AGAINST each other .
 
Old 03-11-2014, 10:20 AM
 
Location: Union County
5,789 posts, read 8,442,928 times
Reputation: 4818
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawdoc View Post
Even those of us in the 'redistricting camp' saw that busing Millbridge was too far. Bureaucrats made the plan at the direction of the board and this was the extreme case of the move. The delta was too big, more than any other on the map.
#'s make sense here, no need for conspiracy theories on this one.
Were you replying to me with this because I pointed out Millbridge?

I'm just curious if you really believe that "Bureaucrats made the plan at the direction of the board"? This plan came out of the facilities committee - that is not a committee of bureaucrats by any stretch of the imagination.
 
Old 03-11-2014, 10:24 AM
 
5,905 posts, read 7,761,456 times
Reputation: 3398
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONYMETS View Post
Let me clarify something that " A Lot" of people seem to forget. Millbridge was NOT accommodated. Everybody is bashing this community and it's BS already. Everyone wants to look at MAPS? Good. Look closely then. Millbridge happens to be the "Furthest" yes that's right the furthest from where everyone keeps saying we should go. It's 12 miles and that's from the main entrance. Marvin is 3.6 miles and Cuthbertson is 4 . As far as the amendment everyone is complaining about. Millbridge was also the ONLY community split in half. So it only makes sense they wanted to stay together. If they cut every neighborhood in half you would have an argument . But they didn't. I'm not for all this stuff going on but it's getting old that all the blame is on Millbridge. Go look at the lines from 2007 and you will see where you ORIGINALLY went. That should be everyone argument if that's what you choose to do. Everyone is saying Millbridge is so big well what about Lawson? They just blew out across the street from them even though the one side is no where near done. Any questions about that? Nope. Heck what if Lawson filled Cuthbertson would everyone feel ok with that? I get how close they are and good for them. But stop throwing Millbridge out there like we are the problem. Build Cuthbertson Elementary and put a couple of mobiles at Marvin Middle Problem solved for a few years maybe. Look at the main problem causing this, it's Kensington. My neighbors can't even go to the school on Millbridge property? Lawson has 236 kids enrolled there. Like I said build Cuthbertson Elementary and you might see a big difference. But we all need to work TOGETHER not AGAINST each other .
I don't see anyone bashing Millbridge at least in here. Simply pointing out the fact that they were the only neighborhood that was accommodated.
 
Old 03-11-2014, 10:28 AM
 
98 posts, read 116,858 times
Reputation: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONYMETS View Post
Let me clarify something that " A Lot" of people seem to forget. Millbridge was NOT accommodated. Everybody is bashing this community and it's BS already. Everyone wants to look at MAPS? Good. Look closely then. Millbridge happens to be the "Furthest" yes that's right the furthest from where everyone keeps saying we should go. It's 12 miles and that's from the main entrance. Marvin is 3.6 miles and Cuthbertson is 4 . As far as the amendment everyone is complaining about. Millbridge was also the ONLY community split in half. So it only makes sense they wanted to stay together. If they cut every neighborhood in half you would have an argument . But they didn't. I'm not for all this stuff going on but it's getting old that all the blame is on Millbridge. Go look at the lines from 2007 and you will see where you ORIGINALLY went. That should be everyone argument if that's what you choose to do. Everyone is saying Millbridge is so big well what about Lawson? They just blew out across the street from them even though the one side is no where near done. Any questions about that? Nope. Heck what if Lawson filled Cuthbertson would everyone feel ok with that? I get how close they are and good for them. But stop throwing Millbridge out there like we are the problem. Build Cuthbertson Elementary and put a couple of mobiles at Marvin Middle Problem solved for a few years maybe. Look at the main problem causing this, it's Kensington. My neighbors can't even go to the school on Millbridge property? Lawson has 236 kids enrolled there. Like I said build Cuthbertson Elementary and you might see a big difference. But we all need to work TOGETHER not AGAINST each other .

Mets, please do not misunderstand me....I totally agree that Millbridge should not have been split, they should have been kept together. My point is, that the only amendment to the original redistricting plan as far as boundary lines and the only consideration given, was to the community of Millbridge. I just believe there were other communities that had valid claims to stay and weren't given any accomodations. I am not "blaming" Millbridge for anything, they fought the fight that was impacting their community, more power to them and good job
 
Old 03-11-2014, 10:29 AM
 
Location: Union County
5,789 posts, read 8,442,928 times
Reputation: 4818
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONYMETS View Post
Let me clarify something that " A Lot" of people seem to forget. Millbridge was NOT accommodated. Everybody is bashing this community and it's BS already. Everyone wants to look at MAPS? Good. Look closely then. Millbridge happens to be the "Furthest" yes that's right the furthest from where everyone keeps saying we should go. It's 12 miles and that's from the main entrance. Marvin is 3.6 miles and Cuthbertson is 4 . As far as the amendment everyone is complaining about. Millbridge was also the ONLY community split in half. So it only makes sense they wanted to stay together. If they cut every neighborhood in half you would have an argument . But they didn't. I'm not for all this stuff going on but it's getting old that all the blame is on Millbridge. Go look at the lines from 2007 and you will see where you ORIGINALLY went. That should be everyone argument if that's what you choose to do. Everyone is saying Millbridge is so big well what about Lawson? They just blew out across the street from them even though the one side is no where near done. Any questions about that? Nope. Heck what if Lawson filled Cuthbertson would everyone feel ok with that? I get how close they are and good for them. But stop throwing Millbridge out there like we are the problem. Build Cuthbertson Elementary and put a couple of mobiles at Marvin Middle Problem solved for a few years maybe. Look at the main problem causing this, it's Kensington. My neighbors can't even go to the school on Millbridge property? Lawson has 236 kids enrolled there. Like I said build Cuthbertson Elementary and you might see a big difference. But we all need to work TOGETHER not AGAINST each other .
What happened to being cool and going with the flow?

I did look closely - Millbridge is currently 2 separate communities on 2 giant parcels of land with 2 separate entrances. No other community has that unique feature - that's why you wouldn't find any other examples. Millbridge was accommodated on the condition they build a road connecting the 2 separate communities. These are facts regardless of how you want to spin them. Why are being defensive about this?

and 2007 lines being "original"... really?
 
Old 03-11-2014, 10:33 AM
 
631 posts, read 739,057 times
Reputation: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by nchammer View Post
logical, I will respectfully disagree....while there was plenty of "noise" as you put it, there was also plenty of people and neighborhoods that presented very valid reasons, not just for no redistricting, but also why their communities should stay in their current cluster. other than Millbridge, they didn't listen to any other argument. If you want to say there were unreasonable requests, I will give you that. by the same respect, even a supporter of "forced busing" (lol, my own sarcasm) has to admit some of these other developments had legitimate claims and very valid reasons to stay, and the BOE pushed them aside without even listening
Agree with you here. There were lots of good arguments at the hearings. Several of the neighborhoods could have stayed in their current cluster. The problem was that all that noise happened first, for weeks, in massive waves and with lots of incorrect info, accusations, and emotional pleas.

And I definitely don't let the BOE off the hook. They botched this from day one. But, they had heard so much noise, it was hard to pull out the rational arguments. They had enough. When the BOE announced the 2 public hearings followed the next day by their BOE meeting, it was evident to a lot of people that they wanted it over and were going to push it through in a shorter timeframe. The hearings were a show and those great arguments fell on deaf ears.


Similarly, right now there are lots of people filling out the transfer forms. Many are going to use the same reason?!?!?!?!?! That's going to inundate UCPS with lots of invalid/emotional requests and some of the valid requests could be lost in the shuffle. Working parents that can't pick up their kids in time from after school, exceptional children that need specific care, etc. It makes it harder for the system to separate the real issues from the fabricators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:38 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top