U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2014, 02:34 PM

98 posts, read 116,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raithfan View Post
Nothing else was put up as an amendment. Thelma and Louise could have easily raise their hand...offered an amendment to include Valhalla, etc but they did not. I bet board members would have approved small developments. It has to be put up as an amendment before it can be "accomodated".

Why are you pinpointing just 2 BOE members....I believe it was Guzman who put Millbridge up for the amendment....No other subdivision was nominated for an amendment to their situation....some had very valid arguments too. so no other board member could have raised that question? Yet you single out 2. didn't you earlier take to task people insulting board members and Ms Ellis, yet you use the term "Thelma and Louise"....practice what you preach there raith...funny how 7 of the BOE members didn't seemed surprised at all with surprise motion for a vote, yet 2 were taken completely off guard. But it was all on the up and up, right? I mean Mr Crowder made the motion off the top of his head and Mr Pigg made the grandfathering clause right off the cuff and Guzman didn't previously plan the amendment for Millbridge....it went down exactly like they said it did, aint that right

Old 03-11-2014, 02:38 PM

15 posts, read 19,526 times
Regarding WO, I will reiterate what I said earlier. The "leaders" and "followers" of WO went quickly from the argument of "my kids will get beat up at SV because we are the only Cuthbertson neighborhood going" to "property values will go down 30% overnight" to listening to Ms. Savage and Ms. Hodges with this "we can stop redistricting altogether", thinking those two would have the 'hoods back when needed. And as we all saw, neither was ready and quite frankly embarassed themselves.

Don't get me wrong, all flawed logic above but when it took to FB and the outright animosity towards the entire redistricting effort was in full swing, logic was so far gone that it put a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths. I get it and quite frankly am embarrassed some neighbors have acted so poorly but one can only control what they say and how they act. WO never had a solid plan but rather just kept listening to Ms. S and Ms. H and never did any thinking of their own.

Earlier, I was responding to someone's thought that it was a race and socioeconomic issue, which it isn't but rather just simple emotion blocking out all common sense.

To end on a thankful note, I do have more time in my day because I refuse to watch the continued drama unfold on FB. In the words of Bill Murray from Caddyshack "so I got that going for me, which is nice."

Have a good evening.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:52 PM

189 posts, read 276,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nchammer View Post
Why are you pinpointing just 2 BOE members....I believe it was Guzman who put Millbridge up for the amendment....No other subdivision was nominated for an amendment to their situation....some had very valid arguments too. so no other board member could have raised that question? Yet you single out 2. didn't you earlier take to task people insulting board members and Ms Ellis, yet you use the term "Thelma and Louise"....practice what you preach there raith...funny how 7 of the BOE members didn't seemed surprised at all with surprise motion for a vote, yet 2 were taken completely off guard. But it was all on the up and up, right? I mean Mr Crowder made the motion off the top of his head and Mr Pigg made the grandfathering clause right off the cuff and Guzman didn't previously plan the amendment for Millbridge....it went down exactly like they said it did, aint that right
Those two are singled out because they are to serve as "liaisons" for the towns of Waxhaw and Marvin respectively. They are also singled out because they were the most vocal opponents, yet did not have an amendment to put forth.

Amendments (actually, I think I'm going to start calling them "compromises"-like Jlat uses the term "forced busing") were only offered by the crooked BoE7. ( I think that's the term du jour?)

Old 03-11-2014, 02:58 PM

397 posts, read 518,386 times
My apologies. weren't ms. Savage and hodges having the most conversations with the affected neighborhoods? We're they the representatives for those neighborhoods? Am I wrong that they could have brought up any neighborhood/development/house for an amendment but did not. Maybe the other board member did not agree with the neighborhoods in question? We will never know if it's not brought to the floor. The speakers did not propose amendments, they plant seeds, either positive or negative, with the board in the hope that their issue is brought to the floor. That's where Millbridge succeeded....clear concise messaging repeated over and over. That sticks with people and got the boards attention.
I'm just sayin that any neighborhood could have potentially been excluded if it had been brought to the floor. Without that, there is no hope.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:33 PM

136 posts, read 157,202 times
Quote:
... weren't ms. Savage and hodges having the most conversations with the affected neighborhoods? We're they the representatives for those neighborhoods? Am I wrong that they could have brought up any neighborhood/development/house for an amendment but did not...
Ms. Savage has district 6, Guzman and Hodges are @large (if memory serves me). One would think that only Savage has special responsibility for those neighborhoods. And to state the obvious, all board members have equal right to make a motion (amendment / accommodation / compromise ). Only Guzman and Pigg did.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:36 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,143,939 times
Quote:
I'm just sayin that any neighborhood could have potentially been excluded if it had been brought to the floor. Without that, there is no hope.
Valhalla, Berkshire, Wesley Oaks, Callonwood and a neighborhood in the PR district (can't recall which one) all made their case during the open comment meetings. The lady from Berkshire was the second speaker of the 1st meeting. She threw her neighbors in Bel Air under the bus.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:54 PM

397 posts, read 518,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
Valhalla, Berkshire, Wesley Oaks, Callonwood and a neighborhood in the PR district (can't recall which one) all made their case during the open comment meetings. The lady from Berkshire was the second speaker of the 1st meeting. She threw her neighbors in Bel Air under the bus.
I'm not saying that the speakers didn't present their arguments. They did. I'm saying that a motion to amend was never made on behalf of these neighborhoods. It could have been added as an amendment. There is a two amendment limit on items up for vote but another motion to add further amendments could have been made. The arguments the neighborhoods made did not resonate...they didn't stick. 5x frequency to get any message remembered and this is what everyone except Millbridge failed to present a simple message said over and over again.

And yes...she did throw them under the bus....to no avail when you don't have a sitting board member adding you as an amendment.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:57 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,143,939 times
Quote:
I'm not saying that the speakers didn't present their arguments. They did. I'm saying that a motion to amend was never made on behalf of these neighborhoods. It could have been added as an amendment. There is a two amendment limit on items up for vote but another motion to add further amendments could have been made. The arguments the neighborhoods made did not resonate...they didn't stick. 5x frequency to get any message remembered and this is what everyone except Millbridge failed to present a simple message said over and over again.

And yes...she did throw them under the bus....to no avail when you don't have a sitting board member adding you as an amendment.
I think that between now and April, you'll see some more "adjustments" to the plan. Because it didn't happen at the time of the vote doesn't mean that it won't ever happen. There are some neighborhoods that deserve getting another look.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:44 PM

397 posts, read 579,104 times
Quote:
Nothing else was put up as an amendment. Thelma and Louise could have easily raise their hand...offered an amendment to include Valhalla, etc but they did not. I bet board members would have approved small developments. It has to be put up as an amendment before it can be "accomodated".
A-MEN! Every board member has two arms and a mouth as far as I recall. Guzman was the only one to speak up for a neighborhood that he wished to amend. Thelma and Louise? Well, just Louise. Nothing.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:14 PM

397 posts, read 579,104 times
And two ears ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or