U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2014, 08:52 PM

397 posts, read 519,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
Many locals? I'm curious to know where you live because to be honest there aren't many locals in the western part of the county.

I agree that people are people and I don't have anything against northerners but there are definitely philosophical and life style differences between southerners and northerners. The funny thing is that, traditionally and historically, northerners look down on folks from south of the mason dixon yet they are flocking down here... it's not like there are a bunch of southerners wanting to move up north. Why is that?

I know it's a whole different can of worms but it's interesting and may be worth exploring.
You start the thread and I will be ALL OVER that one. I can't manage quotes much less threads.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:52 PM

5,787 posts, read 8,436,546 times
Quote:
Hodges and Savage were railroaded. Of course they were taken off guard because they were opposed to Yercheck's grand plan. They weren't in his pocket so they were on the outside looking in.

I'm sorry Mike. This is pure fallacy - anyone who thought they were going to "wait and see" and not address the caps was bat$#@! crazy. We were all truly on the outside and knew it - they were ON the board and didn't?

They alienated themselves within the board with the all or nothing stance. They both voted against grandfathering and Hodges voted against Millbridge - Savage had packed up by then. Really? Railroaded?
Come on.

They did not properly represent the best interests of those that voted for them. BTW - Hodges is the at large liaison to Marvin and Savage lives in Marvin.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:58 PM

5,787 posts, read 8,436,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
I think that between now and April, you'll see some more "adjustments" to the plan. Because it didn't happen at the time of the vote doesn't mean that it won't ever happen. There are some neighborhoods that deserve getting another look.
I think this depends on who you ask... If they look past the noise, but it won't help when some of their own are still holding onto unrealistic hopes of "stopping this thing". I think it's proven now that all or nothing means pretty much all.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:14 PM

98 posts, read 116,762 times
Quote:
Many locals? I'm curious to know where you live because to be honest there aren't many locals in the western part of the county.

I agree that people are people and I don't have anything against northerners but there are definitely philosophical and life style differences between southerners and northerners. The funny thing is that, traditionally and historically, northerners look down on folks from south of the mason dixon yet they are flocking down here... it's not like there are a bunch of southerners wanting to move up north. Why is that?

I know it's a whole different can of worms but it's interesting and may be worth exploring.

How do you make a general statement like that???? Maybe most of the Northerners YOU MET may somehow look down on you, but please do make absolutes. I want to know what philosophical and life style differences there are. Let me ask, how you lived in the north? if not, how would you know what the lifestyle is in say a NY or Boston is. You somehow seem annoyed that northerners "flocked" down here, is that true? If it is, why? Just to let you know, if you look at a map, Parkwood is the "western" part of the county. surprise, surprise, I hang out with a lot of people from Parkwood, are there a lot of locals in Parkwood or no?

Old 03-11-2014, 09:15 PM

631 posts, read 738,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I think this depends on who you ask... If they look past the noise, but it won't help when some of their own are still holding onto unrealistic hopes of "stopping this thing". I think it's proven now that all or nothing means pretty much all.
I'd expect Hodges to come back with some amendments for a few neighborhoods. I'm not sure if the rest of the BOE would allow them or not. It could be opening up the can of worms all over again. Savage, on the other hand, will show up with a new bus mileage report or a strongly worded resolution from the NC Quilting Society.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:23 AM

189 posts, read 277,180 times
[quote=nchammer;33841955] You somehow seem annoyed that northerners "flocked" down here, is that true? quote]

Yes.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCTaxPayer View Post
When I was growing up my Grandma's would always tell us you can catch more with honey than you can with vinegar, something to think about in this situation if you want to be heard.
Catch more flies with honey...life lessons from the south.

Interesting, the only email I sent to a board member was replied to within 15 minutes. I must have had the right words in the "subject" line?

Old 03-12-2014, 03:28 AM

Quote:

Mark this day, WaxhawMike and I finally agree on something. I knew it would happen eventually .

Old 03-12-2014, 06:51 AM

397 posts, read 519,914 times
Is it just me or has Ms. Savage gone radio silent?

Old 03-12-2014, 06:52 AM

527 posts, read 637,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whxwlvr View Post
Mark this day, WaxhawMike and I finally agree on something. I knew it would happen eventually .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or