U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2014, 12:24 PM

397 posts, read 520,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Can you be redistricted once you are in Union Academy? I'm just saying, some people will opt for stability vs an increased distance. You can't lump everyone into the same bucket.
Redd, I'm not lumping you in with either camp. Everyone has their reasons apparently.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:24 PM

527 posts, read 638,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staynclassy san diego View Post
Thanks,
Also, is there a better map of each district other than what is on the website? Can't really tell where the lines are drawn.
This map on the board of elections website is much better...

http://www.co.union.nc.us/Portals/0/BOE/Maps/school.pdf

Old 03-12-2014, 12:33 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,148,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
I'm curious to see what the lawsuit claims and what they are asking. There were several legal experts that the media interviewed and they have all said that everything was done legally. Even if there were underlying reasons for the BOE to make the changes, they still had every legal right to do so. If one suddenly said "Hey, I want to move our boundaries" and 4 others agreed, its all legal. And we can argue about guidelines until the cows come home, but those are so vague, nothing will stick. They can be interpreted differently by anyone with a varying viewpoint.

Both a reversal or an injunction would have to be against the legality of the moves and I don't see any. If they are trying to dig up conspiracy and hearsay items I don't think it will fly.

I'm not the expert, but the media did interview experts, so I'm going with that.
Personally I don't think the lawsuit will change anything. That won't stop me from supporting it 100% though. I just really hope that I get to see old Yercheck have to put his hand on the Bible and swear in front of his maker that this was all just because a few schools were overcrowded. I wouldn't want to be standing near him if he does.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:50 PM

527 posts, read 638,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
Personally I don't think the lawsuit will change anything. That won't stop me from supporting it 100% though. I just really hope that I get to see old Yercheck have to put his hand on the Bible and swear in front of his maker that this was all just because a few schools were overcrowded. I wouldn't want to be standing near him if he does.
I don't know what the angle for the lawsuit is but if done right I don't think a temporary injunctoin is out of the realm of possibility.

Not speaking of UCPS redistricting... but in general, public officials are held to a higher standard than just "was it legal?". There are oaths of office, guiding principles, policies, and core values that the public has a reasonable expectation will be followed and upheld. At times there are measures of reasonableness that can and should be questioned.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:56 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,148,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
I don't know what the angle for the lawsuit is but if done right I don't think a temporary injunctoin is out of the realm of possibility.

Not speaking of UCPS redistricting... but in general, public officials are held to a higher standard than just "was it legal?". There are oaths of office, guiding principles, policies, and core values that the public has a reasonable expectation will be followed and upheld. At times there are measures of reasonableness that can and should be questioned.
I agree, I think that the best they can hope for is an injunction. Down here though, cases seem to take a weird turn at times. Just depends on who the judge is, who he hunts with and the points of the case. If they can get it on a docket, then the can depose Yercheck, Stewart, Ellis et. all. That's when its going to get interesting.

Last edited by jlat; 03-12-2014 at 02:29 PM..

Old 03-12-2014, 02:34 PM

136 posts, read 157,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post

I've never known the courts to be very interested in being the referees for 'measures of reasonableness,' there have to be legal claims to get this thing off the ground. I can understand Jlat's 100% support but I'd be skeptical about giving your 100% financial support. Has this 'charitable organization filed with the state, or are these checks going to our ill-mannered FB 'activists'?

Old 03-12-2014, 02:39 PM

397 posts, read 520,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawdoc View Post
I've never known the courts to be very interested in being the referees for 'measures of reasonableness,' there have to be legal claims to get this thing off the ground. I can understand Jlat's 100% support but I'd be skeptical about giving your 100% financial support. Has this 'charitable organization filed with the state, or are these checks going to our ill-mannered FB 'activists'?
Great question 'Doc!

Old 03-12-2014, 02:44 PM

98 posts, read 116,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
I agree, I think that the best they can hope for is an injunction. Down here though, cases seem to take a weird turn at times. Just depends on who the judge is, who he hunts with and the points of the case. If they can get it on a docket, then the can depose Yercheck, Stewart, Ellis et. all. That's when its going to get interesting.

I cant remember if it was Stewart or Yercheck who went on record saying they spoke to all of the top safety officials in UC. Yet when contacted by the parents, the UC Fire Marshal said that he nor his staff was ever contacted by anyone from the BOE. He then went on to advise that "Core Capacity" is basically the biggest load of BS and he didn't know how that term got started. When questioned from a safety aspect about school size, he said that NONE of the UC schools are even close to being overcrowded enough to have any safety concern....but wait, we should just believe the BOE because they said so, right

Old 03-12-2014, 02:46 PM

99 posts, read 155,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawdoc View Post
Highly doubt they would have had the time to incorporate correctly as a true non profit.While the articles can be filed rapidly with the NC Secretary of State for a corp very quickly, the actual designation from the IRS can take months to years. Either way the lawyers bills will continue to pile up. Remember the ill fated takeover of the CLT airport. One of the sticking points of the second commision was the hundreds of thousands of dollars of legal fees they were racking up during the scuffle.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:57 PM

103 posts, read 143,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nchammer View Post
I cant remember if it was Stewart or Yercheck who went on record saying they spoke to all of the top safety officials in UC.
It was "Mr Safety" Kevin Stewart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or