U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-12-2014, 02:58 PM
 
527 posts, read 636,630 times
Reputation: 267

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawdoc View Post
I've never known the courts to be very interested in being the referees for 'measures of reasonableness,' there have to be legal claims to get this thing off the ground. I can understand Jlat's 100% support but I'd be skeptical about giving your 100% financial support. Has this 'charitable organization filed with the state, or are these checks going to our ill-mannered FB 'activists'?
I'm not sure if you're serious. This is in the same country where a woman was awarded a million dollars because she spilled coffee on herself that was unreasonably hot.

The courts have all kinds of tests related to reasonableness, due process, rational basis, etc.

 
Old 03-12-2014, 03:24 PM
 
136 posts, read 157,218 times
Reputation: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by nchammer View Post
... "Core Capacity" is basically the biggest load of BS and he didn't know how that term got started...
Hospital execs spend their time worrying about 'core' capacity too. It isn't determined by the fire Marshall there either. It might be measured in 'beds' but has nothing to do with the actual # of beds. It has to do with the # of patients the facility can effectively provide care, not how many can get out in case of fire (does come in to consideration though). I think the same principles apply in schools. You might be barking up the wrong tree.
 
Old 03-12-2014, 03:40 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
189 posts, read 276,404 times
Reputation: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by nchammer View Post
I cant remember if it was Stewart or Yercheck who went on record saying they spoke to all of the top safety officials in UC. Yet when contacted by the parents, the UC Fire Marshal said that he nor his staff was ever contacted by anyone from the BOE. He then went on to advise that "Core Capacity" is basically the biggest load of BS and he didn't know how that term got started. When questioned from a safety aspect about school size, he said that NONE of the UC schools are even close to being overcrowded enough to have any safety concern....but wait, we should just believe the BOE because they said so, right

If I may...I don't care a whit what the Fire Marshall says, he's not the one responsible for those kids all day, every day. I am. I will be the one trying to get 1000 kids out of one set of double doors. I will be the one trying to find space to shelter your children should we go into lockdown. I will be the one trying to stack your kids 4 deep in the halls should a natural disaster occur.

This really comes back to some people still not believing that there is an overcrowding problem to begin with. Out of sight, out of mind. Because there hasn't been an incident yet things must be safe, right?
 
Old 03-12-2014, 04:12 PM
 
1,031 posts, read 2,144,383 times
Reputation: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawdoc View Post
Hospital execs spend their time worrying about 'core' capacity too. It isn't determined by the fire Marshall there either. It might be measured in 'beds' but has nothing to do with the actual # of beds. It has to do with the # of patients the facility can effectively provide care, not how many can get out in case of fire (does come in to consideration though). I think the same principles apply in schools. You might be barking up the wrong tree.
Ah yes, this is where reality starts to get a bit blurry. The illustrious Mr. Stewart talked about how he had spoken in-depth to county "safety" officials and that they were concerned about the core capacity. The Fire Marshal dropped the bullcrap flag on that. This is what I am talking about, the story changed day to day, week to week.
 
Old 03-12-2014, 04:15 PM
 
1,031 posts, read 2,144,383 times
Reputation: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawdoc View Post
I've never known the courts to be very interested in being the referees for 'measures of reasonableness,' there have to be legal claims to get this thing off the ground. I can understand Jlat's 100% support but I'd be skeptical about giving your 100% financial support. Has this 'charitable organization filed with the state, or are these checks going to our ill-mannered FB 'activists'?
Ah hell, I gave them enough for a 12 pack. Its worth it in the entertainment value alone. If they can get the BoI (new term "Band of Idiots") under oath, I think it will open peoples eyes to some crap that goes on whilst the kingdom sleeps...
 
Old 03-12-2014, 04:25 PM
 
1,031 posts, read 2,144,383 times
Reputation: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by whxwlvr View Post
If I may...I don't care a whit what the Fire Marshall says, he's not the one responsible for those kids all day, every day. I am. I will be the one trying to get 1000 kids out of one set of double doors. I will be the one trying to find space to shelter your children should we go into lockdown. I will be the one trying to stack your kids 4 deep in the halls should a natural disaster occur.

This really comes back to some people still not believing that there is an overcrowding problem to begin with. Out of sight, out of mind. Because there hasn't been an incident yet things must be safe, right?
hmmm nope, sorry that dog still doesn't hunt...nobody is debating whether nor not schools or overcrowded. Some are, some aren't, but does that need for safety require forced busing of 15% of the student population, without any significant study to other alternatives that could have been coupled to some reassignments? It also gets dicey when the timing is suspect, why now? why with breakneck speed? Lots of questions still remain.
 
Old 03-12-2014, 04:26 PM
 
136 posts, read 157,218 times
Reputation: 114
Here, here! This is way more fun than playing golf. Make 'em squirm... BoCC couldn't even land a punch last summer, let's see what these fools can do.
 
Old 03-12-2014, 04:34 PM
 
1,031 posts, read 2,144,383 times
Reputation: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawdoc View Post
Here, here! This is way more fun than playing golf. Make 'em squirm... BoCC couldn't even land a punch last summer, let's see what these fools can do.
The BoCC thought that they were smarter than the forensic accountants. Some of that creative accounting, and book cooking that has been going on in the county for years was pretty amateurish.
 
Old 03-12-2014, 04:37 PM
 
527 posts, read 636,630 times
Reputation: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by whxwlvr View Post
If I may...I don't care a whit what the Fire Marshall says, he's not the one responsible for those kids all day, every day. I am. I will be the one trying to get 1000 kids out of one set of double doors. I will be the one trying to find space to shelter your children should we go into lockdown. I will be the one trying to stack your kids 4 deep in the halls should a natural disaster occur.

This really comes back to some people still not believing that there is an overcrowding problem to begin with. Out of sight, out of mind. Because there hasn't been an incident yet things must be safe, right?
You may not care, and that's cool... but these are the people that the BOE lied, um I mean relied upon.

It's cool for people to have their own opinions and ideas about redistricting but to defend the flip flopping and double talk by the Yercheck cronies is more foolish and irresponsible than contributing to the lawsuit fund.... by a billion miles
 
Old 03-12-2014, 06:07 PM
 
397 posts, read 579,173 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by nchammer View Post
I know raith is the legal expert with the crystal ball and already knows how this will play out with 100% certainty, but from someone with a tad bit of legal background, I will say it depends on what they are suing for....are they trying to get this totally reversed or merely an injunction to temporarily block the decision with more info to follow. Those are just 2 of many options they have, but I am sure Raith will say I am wrong and he/she already knows how it will play out
Aww fooey ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top