U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2014, 09:32 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,147,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawdoc View Post
Here's where I get my britches in a bunch. The schools are not 'paid for,' every school in the last 20 years is still on the credit card. (Just like the McMansions around them - most financed up to their eyeballs). I've seen enough bubbles and busts, we can't spend our way out of this mess.
The BO-whatever-you-want-to-call-them keeps going back to shake the money tree, but when the millions stopped falling out - the wheels started coming off. I don't blame the 'haves' or 'have-nots,' but it's disgraceful to watch only one of those refuse to tighten their belts.
I guarantee you good sir, that this have not has learned his lesson. Next time the BoI comes shaking their cup looking for coin, they'll nae get my vote. Auxiliary gyms, no, stadiums, no, new schools no. I'm in on upkeep but past that, they'll never again get me to vote affirmative and will be extremely vocal against any expenditures that do not address only the basic needs of any school.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:35 AM

985 posts, read 1,653,295 times
not that I am saying this will be a good board for reference and it is just getting started it is called Ask the Candidate - Union County NC

the goal it says is to be able to ask questions and get the answers you need before you vote

if anyone is interested you can follow this link:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1411908802396984/

It has potential to be okay if it is all candidates, not just select parties/newcomers
I understand not every candidate will like that kind of forum

Old 03-13-2014, 05:49 AM

387 posts, read 841,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
That would be fine if the people in the other schools had not demanded more than their share of resources so the other less selfish people were shortchanged.
This type of comment gets me every time. And no, I am not part of those newer schools. BUT every school gives the BOE/Facilities Committee/BOCC a list of what they need money for each year. It is up to the BOE/Facilities Committee/BOCC to prioritize what funding they have. So if they decided to spend the money on the "western" schools instead of our schools that have leaking roofs, how is it the "Western schools" fault? I don't think anyone "demanded" more than their fair share. I think that those in charge of prioritizing the available funds are the one to be blamed. This should not be a battle of haves and have nots. It should be a united battle against those making the decisions.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:53 AM

387 posts, read 841,235 times
Quote:
There shouldn't be enough difference between them to make it matter which one your child goes to.
Yes, but unfortunately, there is a huge difference. Have you read the article on the UCPS homepage regarding the crusade by the Monroe High School principal? While I admire his passion and what he is doing to turn the school around, even he refers to the school as an "urban poverty setting". So no, the schools aren't equal.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:07 AM

631 posts, read 738,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewith3 View Post
not that I am saying this will be a good board for reference and it is just getting started it is called Ask the Candidate - Union County NC

the goal it says is to be able to ask questions and get the answers you need before you vote

if anyone is interested you can follow this link:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1411908802396984/

It has potential to be okay if it is all candidates, not just select parties/newcomers
I understand not every candidate will like that kind of forum
I always like this concept, but its not always done well. The candidates have to spin their answers based on the audience and we usually see several of these meetings, forums, interviews pop up along the way for groups to vet a candidate. The more info the better, so that always helps. I'll be looking to see how the candidates answer questions across a broader spectrum and how much they change their responses from show to show.

To some groups all a candidate has to say is "I'm going to reverse redistricting" and the audience tunes out other important topics.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:39 AM

98 posts, read 116,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarti78 View Post
We're still going on about the fire marshal? Have you ever been in a convention hall for a banquet? Maybe a gym or auditorium? There should be a placard that states the maximum occupancy for that place according to the fire marshal. That number is always going to be awfully high. The only thing the fire marshal is concerned about is the literal safety of the people in the room or structure. If the number gets to a certain point, it could be a safety issue in case of, shock!, a fire. They have to be able to clear out safely. There's a big difference between that and the core capacity of a school being able to be conducive to the learning environment of students and faculty.

If you read my original post, it was either Cupcake or DICK who said they consulted with top safety experts in the county when considering this decision, yet never bothered to contact the UC Fire Marshall....Wouldn't a reasonable person think a Fire Marshall can weigh in about safety? I guess not, some people on here think hospital administrators know more about safety than a fire marshall....but lets stick with the buzzword of the day, "Core Capacity"....Based on what Mr Webb has said, its not only if students can fit into a building, but also the media center capacity and cafeteria space plays a part of this. PWMS is designed to service around 700 kids in their cafeteria, yet they will have over 1100 students after this redistricting is done. But that part of Core Capacity doesn't count now, does it

Old 03-13-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
I mean that I am making it my personal job to look out for the children in my area. Beyond that, it is not necessary that you know anything about what I mean.

So NCN, you are taking to task people fighting for students and somehow they are shortchanging other "less selfish" citizens, but you just said you are looking out for the children in YOUR AREA....lol, classic!!!!

Old 03-13-2014, 07:38 AM

5,787 posts, read 8,433,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawdoc View Post
Here's where I get my britches in a bunch. The schools are not 'paid for,' every school in the last 20 years is still on the credit card. (Just like the McMansions around them - most financed up to their eyeballs). I've seen enough bubbles and busts, we can't spend our way out of this mess.
The BO-whatever-you-want-to-call-them keeps going back to shake the money tree, but when the millions stopped falling out - the wheels started coming off. I don't blame the 'haves' or 'have-nots,' but it's disgraceful to watch only one of those refuse to tighten their belts.
"Debt service" sounds better - it flies over people's heads.

We have to pay for the schools we put on the credit card and we have to address the capital needs of the older schools - while maintaining all of them. I don't think anyone disagrees with that.

I just don't understand who your "haves" and "have-nots" are in your last statement... nor do I know who you are insinuating is tightening their belts and how that translates to the BOE shaking the money tree.

Not everyone fits nicely into your little buckets - many of us are trying to look at the big picture.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:50 AM

631 posts, read 738,136 times
All the discussion about Capacity, Fire Marshals, He Said, She Said, Facility Committee Power, etc. just goes around and around in circles. The core issue here is the UCPS policy. If people want to attack something or claim a group has too much power, go after the policy.

Take a quick look at the policy and scan through some sections.
  • The attendance section has solid numbers and rules. Miss X days and you get a letter.
  • The discipline section has solid numbers and rules. If you do Y you will serve a X day suspension.
  • The School Assignment and Guidelines sections (4-13)? Zip. Aside from transfer rules out of a school exceeding capacity, there are no solid numbers for anything.
  • Search for Fire Marshal and its only in 3 sections (emergency drills and student discipline for ES and MS/HS).

Section 4-13 and the accompanying guidelines are so vague that it can be interpreted differently by everyone of us on this forum. Most reasons for leaving things like this vague are to allow for flexibility, but every so often someone finds a way to shake things up and still stay within the "rules." If someone wants to impact change, go change the policy. Define capacity, watch and cap levels with numbers or mathematical formulas. Put a rule in that no student can be on a bus for more than 5.786 miles*. Change the school size limits. Get rid of words like "may" and "should" and replace them with "will" and "must."

*I'll have popcorn ready for the argument about 5.786miles vs 5.7854 miles with accusations of "who lives here?"

Old 03-13-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
All the discussion about Capacity, Fire Marshals, He Said, She Said, Facility Committee Power, etc. just goes around and around in circles. The core issue here is the UCPS policy. If people want to attack something or claim a group has too much power, go after the policy.

Take a quick look at the policy and scan through some sections.
  • The attendance section has solid numbers and rules. Miss X days and you get a letter.
  • The discipline section has solid numbers and rules. If you do Y you will serve a X day suspension.
  • The School Assignment and Guidelines sections (4-13)? Zip. Aside from transfer rules out of a school exceeding capacity, there are no solid numbers for anything.
  • Search for Fire Marshal and its only in 3 sections (emergency drills and student discipline for ES and MS/HS).
Section 4-13 and the accompanying guidelines are so vague that it can be interpreted differently by everyone of us on this forum. Most reasons for leaving things like this vague are to allow for flexibility, but every so often someone finds a way to shake things up and still stay within the "rules." If someone wants to impact change, go change the policy. Define capacity, watch and cap levels with numbers or mathematical formulas. Put a rule in that no student can be on a bus for more than 5.786 miles*. Change the school size limits. Get rid of words like "may" and "should" and replace them with "will" and "must."

*I'll have popcorn ready for the argument about 5.786miles vs 5.7854 miles with accusations of "who lives here?"

Then why lie about it? why go on record that you have consulted with the top safety experts in the county, yet the Fire Marshall said no one ever called him or anyone on his team?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or