U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2014, 09:45 AM

9 posts, read 12,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchammer View Post
The reason I asked is because you seem to have an issue with Maher, you have an issue with Savage and you have an issue with Hodges....I guess my question is do you have an issue with anyone who lives in District 6 or do you have an issue with anyone who opposes redistricting?
I have an issue with him too. He lets people (like the one TooLogical referred to) spout hate and crazy on FB pages he maintains. Those FB pages are damaging to the community.

Moderators can control the tone of their pages. The Protect Union County Public Schools moderator is able to keep his/her page from getting out of control.

Last edited by HLH54321; 03-14-2014 at 10:26 AM..

Old 03-14-2014, 09:49 AM

9 posts, read 12,977 times
Quote:
HLH, I remember that post you are referring to, keep me honest, he pulled those stats from I believe NCREPORTCARDS, and one of which was a school violence stat....I believe the Parkwood violence stat was higher than the county average. My question to you is how is that him being insulting to Parkwood? He is using data provided on a website, not making it up
He put his spin on the data. Pay attention to the last two paragraphs.

Union County Residents - United for Protection of Our Schools January 9.

"I want to point out some very important data to those who frequent this page. I believe that it is important that all parents are aware of the facts. I have only compiled the numbers for comparison between Cuthbertson HS and Parkwood HS as that appears to be where the largest redistricting may take place (From Cuthbertson to Park wood). However, data for ALL NC schools can be found at www.ncreportcards.org
The data I am presenting was taken directly from this site and is based on the last year of reports for the School year ending in 2012.
So for parents facing possible redistricting from Cuthbertson to Parkwood, we have all heard how there is not a big difference in the schools aside from age and population. Well, let's look at the data and facts and compare these two schools side by side to see the truth.

Graduation Rate:

Cuthbertson: >95%
Parkwood: 84%

State Recognition:

Cuthbertson: Recognized as an Honor School of Excellence
Parkwood: NO Recognition

% of Senior's Participation in SAT:

Cuthbertson: 84%
Parkwood: 62%

Avg SAT Scores:

Cuthbertson: 1041 (Above District Avg.)
Parkwood: 1023

Overall % of EOC passing scores:

Cuthbertson: 95%
Parkwood: 74.2%

And the just as important comparison of:

Crimes of Violence reported per 100 students:

Cuthbertson: 0.96
Parkwood: 2.26
District Avg: 1.78

Looks to me by the facts and numbers reported that Cuthbertson students being redistricted to Parkwood will enter a school environment which is more violent (higher than the District Average), a school less proficient in EOC, Less participation in SAT's, A school with NO recognition of Excellence by NC State and a School with a much lower Graduation rate.

You decide if this is fair……..."

Old 03-14-2014, 09:52 AM

98 posts, read 116,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLH54321 View Post
I have an issue with him too. He lets people like the Daphne (referred to by TooLogical) spout hate on FB pages he maintains. Those FB pages are damaging to the community.

Moderators can control the tone of their pages. The Protect Union County Public Schools moderator is able to keep his/her page from getting out of control.

Hate? I read the TooLogical post....I will take Logical at his/her word that its a legit post....Its not HATE....you want to call it elitist, I would say ok. You want to call it "snobbery", I will give you that too (again, if it is legit). It is not HATE....unfortunately, there are people out there with those beliefs. while you feel it may be wrong, they are entitled to their beliefs, just like you are entitled to yours. If you want to inflict harm on somebody, that is HATE....unless you are a teenager and using lexicon I am not too familiar with "you hatin on me"

Old 03-14-2014, 09:58 AM

631 posts, read 735,671 times
Quote:
The reason I asked is because you seem to have an issue with Maher, you have an issue with Savage and you have an issue with Hodges....I guess my question is do you have an issue with anyone who lives in District 6 or do you have an issue with anyone who opposes redistricting?
Hope you don't mind me chiming in, since I was the one that sarcastically posted the "abolish" comment first. I'm in District 6. The sarcastic comment was pointing out the candidates we've elected in the past 8 years, and I'm sure folks living in other districts are scratching their heads at their current representation, as well.

We elected Morrison-Hansley who spent more time in training classes burning up the budget for her own personal development than she spent doing anything to better the students. We wisely voted her out of office 4 years ago.

Savage will only be known for her past 2 months. Very very few people will have any idea what she did or didn't accomplish in her first 3 years. She alienated most of her district while going all-in to be the puppet of the Croal, Maher, Rally group, etc. Then, to top it off she walked off stage during the most critical vote the BOE had in the past 8 years.

I certainly hope she has a better candidate running against her and I'm positive many in district 6 will do a much better job of vetting these candidates prior to November.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:00 AM

HLH, I am not going to "quote" your last post, as it lends itself to a long post and that gets annoying....but on your post above, where you printed the stats....so before you go off on a rampage and say I "HATE" Parkwood....look at the stats.....based on that information you provided, the 2 schools ARENT CLOSE....concerning just the violence stat, Parkwood is higher than the county average. There is no spin on that, based on those facts from NCREPORTCARDS....so what is your argument?

Last edited by nchammer; 03-14-2014 at 10:14 AM..

Old 03-14-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Hope you don't mind me chiming in, since I was the one that sarcastically posted the "abolish" comment first. I'm in District 6. The sarcastic comment was pointing out the candidates we've elected in the past 8 years, and I'm sure folks living in other districts are scratching their heads at their current representation, as well.

We elected Morrison-Hansley who spent more time in training classes burning up the budget for her own personal development than she spent doing anything to better the students. We wisely voted her out of office 4 years ago.

Savage will only be known for her past 2 months. Very very few people will have any idea what she did or didn't accomplish in her first 3 years. She alienated most of her district while going all-in to be the puppet of the Croal, Maher, Rally group, etc. Then, to top it off she walked off stage during the most critical vote the BOE had in the past 8 years.

I certainly hope she has a better candidate running against her and I'm positive many in district 6 will do a much better job of vetting these candidates prior to November.

Logical, I don't have any issue with you chiming in, this is a messageboard, not a private conversation....my question was legit in that SD seems to have an issue with Maher, Hodges, Savage....they have 2 basic things in common. All 3 live in District 6 and all 3 opposed redistricting. so i asked why is she only singling those 3 out. I didn't see her singling out Helms, Guzman or Crowder (all due respect and sympathies to his family) who basically those 3 took up space during the last 4 months and did nothing. Funny part about this is i believe Guzman lives in District 6, yet SD doesn't seem to have a problem with him, so i guess SD just doesn't agree with anyone who opposes redistricting

Old 03-14-2014, 10:36 AM

136 posts, read 157,138 times
Quote:
Logical, I don't have any issue with you chiming in...
Wow. Can I have the floor next please?

Old 03-14-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawdoc View Post
Wow. Can I have the floor next please?

to sweep and mop it, sure, have at it

Old 03-14-2014, 10:52 AM

136 posts, read 157,138 times
Thank you for yielding.

All my conversations with former BOE Minsk were sensible, she lives in the haunted District 6. No idea where she stands on redistricting or if she's still in the business - I know she's been teaching HS classes at her kids school since she left office.
She might be too sensible to jump back into this mess.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:59 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,143,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLH54321 View Post
He put his spin on the data. Pay attention to the last two paragraphs.

<snipping for brevity>

So how would you spin it? These numbers come from and are supported by the State. Sean didn't make them up. Now calling it unfair....maybe that's where you are going. But it clearly points out differences in the schools. I'm no fan of Maher's and depending on who is the candidates, he wouldn't be my first choice, but its easy to extract snippets of posts made on social media and spin it all kinds of ways. Maybe that's not entirely fair either.

Those if us that are getting forced bused, are getting okeedoked. You can't spin that any other way. Those that are for the initiative simply, on the grounds of overcrowding, fine, but the constant pounding on people for standing up to the BoI and telling the NO, isn't just. As long as the tax bill keeps coming, I will continue to fight and dissent right along side them. It's fairly simple, I no longer take any government entity at face value, nor do I trust the first thing that comes from their mouth. Through their own actions, both physically and verbally they have lost my trust and the trust of families of the 5800 kids that they are shoving onto buses without any type of conscious. Through their own inflated egos and lack of good understanding of anything, they have let the schools that they were elected to protect..simply fail. If more people started asking more questions and started to get a little fizzed up, maybe the roofs wouldn't leak, the infrastructure wouldn't be crumbling and there wouldn't be this constant pissing match between the BoI and BoCI (Band of County Idiots - ). If you have been in Union County as long as I have you know that politics here is a special kind of messed up. Always has been, always will be unless something like this forces a change. For things to change, people are going to have to force it. They are going to have to run candidates that will make the change that they want. The good ol'boy network, doing wink wink nudge nudge business has got to stop. Its gotten old, hell it was old 15-20 years ago when the BoCI candidates were being payed by every developer in the county. Like I said, I am no supporter of Maher, but if it takes a Maher type to break this endless string of ass clownery, then I welcome him to the fray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or