U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2014, 01:09 PM

33 posts, read 47,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
<snipping for brevity>

So how would you spin it? These numbers come from and are supported by the State. Sean didn't make them up. Now calling it unfair....maybe that's where you are going. But it clearly points out differences in the schools. I'm no fan of Maher's and depending on who is the candidates, he wouldn't be my first choice, but its easy to extract snippets of posts made on social media and spin it all kinds of ways. Maybe that's not entirely fair either.

Those if us that are getting forced bused, are getting okeedoked. You can't spin that any other way. Those that are for the initiative simply, on the grounds of overcrowding, fine, but the constant pounding on people for standing up to the BoI and telling the NO, isn't just. As long as the tax bill keeps coming, I will continue to fight and dissent right along side them. It's fairly simple, I no longer take any government entity at face value, nor do I trust the first thing that comes from their mouth. Through their own actions, both physically and verbally they have lost my trust and the trust of families of the 5800 kids that they are shoving onto buses without any type of conscious. Through their own inflated egos and lack of good understanding of anything, they have let the schools that they were elected to protect..simply fail. If more people started asking more questions and started to get a little fizzed up, maybe the roofs wouldn't leak, the infrastructure wouldn't be crumbling and there wouldn't be this constant pissing match between the BoI and BoCI (Band of County Idiots - ). If you have been in Union County as long as I have you know that politics here is a special kind of messed up. Always has been, always will be unless something like this forces a change. For things to change, people are going to have to force it. They are going to have to run candidates that will make the change that they want. The good ol'boy network, doing wink wink nudge nudge business has got to stop. Its gotten old, hell it was old 15-20 years ago when the BoCI candidates were being payed by every developer in the county. Like I said, I am no supporter of Maher, but if it takes a Maher type to break this endless string of ass clownery, then I welcome him to the fray.
I would think with the style he has shown so far he would certainly stand up against the shenanigans and at least let everyone know what is going on. I don't think he is a career politician, maybe thats why he is rough around the edges but like you said maybe thats what we need right now

Old 03-14-2014, 01:17 PM

15 posts, read 19,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nchammer View Post
i wasn't oversimplifying anything....there are 9 BOE members, yet you called out just 2. Just so happens that they were the only 2 that opposed redistricting. You now go on to say they "failed" their office....ok, what did they do that was a failure? If you happen to be in the minority on an issue and are out voted, you label that a "failure"?
So with your logic S&H should not look at the redistricting vote as a failure since they were out voted 7-2 or 7-1.....

OK, I will rescind the word "failed" and maybe replace it with "embarrassed" their office.
Three quick "embarrassing" examples:
1. Getting everybody stirred up and on these crusades to email their BOE peers every hour on the same topic.....
2. Storming off stage during the most important vote in recent UC history
3. Not even able to make any amendments when the vote went down. And using the excuse of "Oh, it was supposed to go to vote on April 1st."

Aloha means goodbye! Enjoy your weekend.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:26 PM

527 posts, read 635,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nckeith View Post
Listen you have to be blind to not notice a difference in the homes in one school district vs the other. Your comments repeatedly show your ignorance to not look out your front door. Even if two homes are 100 per sq ft. The 3,000 sq ft mcmansions of Wesley Oaks are twice as large as the homes in Mineral Springs and beyond Howey which are populated with older one story brick ranch homes. 3,000 x 100 is 300,000 1500 x 100 is 150,000 vastly different demographics affording those homes. I have received numerous PM's here and rep point comments of observers agreeing with my points. You use this forum as a self appointed bully pulpit. I guess your theory is the IQ's of those kids at Parkwood are vastly lower. Nothing else accounts for it. Just bad breeding i guess. Give me a break.
Bully pulpit? I use facts like GIS reports and state report cards. You are basing your ridiculous comments on a fear that has been proven to be factually inaccurate... Yet you continue. I don't know why the scores are higher at Cuthbertson. That's not a shot at Parkwood, it's a state published fact. If you have a complaint with it you should call Pat McCrory and complain.

As far as price per square foot... again, you aren't using any factual information. Maybe you should lookup Brantley Oaks and Copper Run. Those homes are as big as the homes in WO and they are on over an acre of land compared to the .25 - .50 in WO...... and guess what, those neighborhoods are in, are you ready for it? Mineral Springs and they are assigned to Parkwood!!!!!

Facts and such...

Old 03-14-2014, 01:33 PM

547 posts, read 534,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Kidd View Post
Didn't every member on the BOE and UCPS Admin pursue a lawsuit against the people of Union County? So I guess when they don't get what they want and their needs are ignored its OK to sue, but a person who is not part of UCPS cannot represent their needs when ignored?

The lawsuit the UCPS/BOE did with the County (Taxpayers) will cost us all.
What needs are they representing???? People are funding Citizens for Adequate Public Schools' effort to sue UCPS for some of the following reasons:

1. The distance to my new school is too far and buses are dangerous.
2. My home value will go down.
3. My kids should be in school "with their own kind" (socio-economic class???).
4. My kid's new school is inferior academically.
6. My kid's will be bullied because their new school is too violent.
7. My kid's new school does not have as nice facilities as my kid's current school.

Wah! Wah! Wah! Where is a need not being met? Some people's every want has been met for too long. Suing for your unreasonable wants (i.e. lavish neighborhood schools right around the corner) can't be equated to suing for long overdue repairs.

So, with this talk about costing taxpayers, I take it you are against the county spending money to repair the schools?

Last edited by BubbaHelms; 03-14-2014 at 02:01 PM..

Old 03-14-2014, 01:46 PM

99 posts, read 155,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
Bully pulpit? I use facts like GIS reports and state report cards. You are basing your ridiculous comments on a fear that has been proven to be factually inaccurate... Yet you continue. I don't know why the scores are higher at Cuthbertson. That's not a shot at Parkwood, it's a state published fact. If you have a complaint with it you should call Pat McCrory and complain.

As far as price per square foot... again, you aren't using any factual information. Maybe you should lookup Brantley Oaks and Copper Run. Those homes are as big as the homes in WO and they are on over an acre of land compared to the .25 - .50 in WO...... and guess what, those neighborhoods are in, are you ready for it? Mineral Springs and they are assigned to Parkwood!!!!!

Facts and such...
Just so we are clear. The demographics and economics of Parkwood are similar/close to Cuthbertson? Again, bad gene pool? Please answer yes or no.
Parkwood current population has a household makeup that makes as much money as the population of Cuthbertson.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
What needs are they representing???? People are funding Citizens for Adequate Public Schools' effort to sue UCPS for some of the following reasons:

1. The distance to my new school is too far and buses are dangerous.
2. My home value will go down.
3. My kids should be in school "with their own kind" (socio-economic class???).
4. My kid's new school is inferior academically.
6. My kid's will be bullied because their new school is too violent.
7. My kid's new school does not have as nice facilities as my kid's current school.

Wah! Wah! Wah! Where is a need not being met? Some peoples' every want has been met for too long. Suing for your unreasonable wants (i.e. lavish neighborhood schools right around the corner) can't be equated to suing for long overdue repairs.

So, with this talk about costing taxpayers, I take it you are against the county spending money to repair the schools?
Thank you for stating the the obvious. It what I have been preaching for the past 5 days.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:00 PM

527 posts, read 635,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nckeith View Post
Just so we are clear. The demographics and economics of Parkwood are similar/close to Cuthbertson? Again, bad gene pool? Please answer yes or no.
Parkwood current population has a household makeup that makes as much money as the population of Cuthbertson.
I honestly can't tell when you are making a statement or asking a question.

I have said at least 3 times that I don't know why the scores are higher at Cuthbertson. That's probably a question you should direct to Dr. Ellis... Wouldn't you agree?

Old 03-14-2014, 02:15 PM

5,860 posts, read 7,679,286 times
Quote:
You again? As has already been pointed out, the racial profile at Cuthbertson and Parkwood is almost identical so I really don't see why you keep bringing this up.

As far as the class/socieconomic factor, it's also a non-issue. Look at home prices per square foot in Mineral Springs and they are almost identical to Waxhaw, including along Billy Howey and Newtown.

I have no idea why the test scores are higher at Cuthbertson... but they are and that is a fact that can't be debated.

Until you can come with facts supporting your rediculous class/socioeconomic/race comments, just stop them already.
According to city-data:

Waxhaw:
Median income - $69K
Median house value - $202K
Mean price of detached houses - $203K
Median rent - $1100
% of population with bachelor's degree - 52%
% of population with master's degree - 15%

Mineral Springs:
Median income - $50K
Median house value - $154K
Mean price of detached houses - $220K
Median rent - $900
% of population with bachelor's degree - 18%
% of population with master's degree - 5%

Old 03-14-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
According to city-data:

Waxhaw:
Median income - $69K
Median house value - $202K
Mean price of detached houses - $203K
Median rent - $1100
% of population with bachelor's degree - 52%
% of population with master's degree - 15%

Mineral Springs:
Median income - $50K
Median house value - $154K
Mean price of detached houses - $220K
Median rent - $900
% of population with bachelor's degree - 18%
% of population with master's degree - 5%
Seems that my observations are not incorrect. 40% less income and almost 1/3 less household with Bachelors. Explain why I was wrong in my initial statements, that the argument boils down to not wanting to go to school with "those"kids. Black, hispanic, "country", poor. Lots of labels, but the number speak volumes as to why people don't want to assimilate.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I honestly can't tell when you are making a statement or asking a question.

I have said at least 3 times that I don't know why the scores are higher at Cuthbertson. That's probably a question you should direct to Dr. Ellis... Wouldn't you agree?
Here is my Question
Do you think the current mix of Parkwood is poorer then the current mix at Cuthbertson? Yes or No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or