U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-14-2014, 06:58 PM
 
99 posts, read 155,386 times
Reputation: 137

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
If only I was important enough for people to blindly follow my posts. You wonder if I'm being sarcastic? Do you really want to know my story? I once had wealth, power, and the love of a beautiful woman. Now I only have two things: my friends, and... uh... my thermos. It was never easy for me. I was born a poor black child. I remember the days, sittin' on the porch with my family, singin' and dancin' down in Mississippi.
Sadly I don't think you were being sarcastic but good try.

 
Old 03-14-2014, 07:35 PM
 
136 posts, read 157,209 times
Reputation: 114
I won't vote for a bond either, not until my list is checked off. The time will come when we have to add capacity. We won't get the $ by ultimatum, I pray we'll try a careful and open planning process for the first time.

When I said build, I said 'build-on,' not 'build-up.' Won't change school assignments for you or for me next year though. I may regret this if this decision isn't followed up with more good decisions to take the long view. You have good reason to be skeptical, I choose to enjoy the least boneheaded decision in years.

-great job Wolfpack! Let's see if Clemson can do it too.
 
Old 03-14-2014, 07:59 PM
 
1,031 posts, read 2,144,048 times
Reputation: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawdoc View Post
I won't vote for a bond either, not until my list is checked off. The time will come when we have to add capacity. We won't get the $ by ultimatum, I pray we'll try a careful and open planning process for the first time.

When I said build, I said 'build-on,' not 'build-up.' Won't change school assignments for you or for me next year though. I may regret this if this decision isn't followed up with more good decisions to take the long view. You have good reason to be skeptical, I choose to enjoy the least boneheaded decision in years.

-great job Wolfpack! Let's see if Clemson can do it too.
Yep, I agree....except for Clemson
 
Old 03-14-2014, 08:11 PM
 
136 posts, read 157,209 times
Reputation: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
I'm curious, and apologize for not knowing already but it's hard to keep up with all the new comers to the thread... but you support the redistricting of 5,800 kids? If so, doesn't it fly in the face of all seats filled since Cuthbertson will be severely under capacity and some other schools will be pushed to capacity and watch levels? The argument of filling empty seats is hard to reconcile with the redistricting reality.
I occupy a lonely place in the middle... Whole-hog reassignment was never a good plan. I think the BOE agreed. After gfathering, I bet Cuthbertson High drops no more than 100 - 150 students ( 10% perhaps ). Don't worry, no one will have to shut that school down. When Cuthbertson opened (and I thought it was in the wrong place and at the wrong time) they couldn't fill 2 of 3 wings and had to draw Parkwood down to the red line to keep it open. Remember the days when the 'alternative school' occupied one of the wings at Cuthbertson to keep the census up? My, how that school has grown in 2 or 3 years.

I expect many of the schools to swell, not immediately, but over the next couple years. Better to spread that growth across a couple facilities over several years than to concentrate it in 1 or 2 clusters. I think it will make perfect sense to reevaluate treatment in a couple years (the reassignment plan was made to address the next 5 years if I heard correctly).
 
Old 03-14-2014, 09:45 PM
 
Location: Union County
5,783 posts, read 8,411,807 times
Reputation: 4818
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawdoc View Post
I occupy a lonely place in the middle... Whole-hog reassignment was never a good plan. I think the BOE agreed. After gfathering, I bet Cuthbertson High drops no more than 100 - 150 students ( 10% perhaps ). Don't worry, no one will have to shut that school down. When Cuthbertson opened (and I thought it was in the wrong place and at the wrong time) they couldn't fill 2 of 3 wings and had to draw Parkwood down to the red line to keep it open. Remember the days when the 'alternative school' occupied one of the wings at Cuthbertson to keep the census up? My, how that school has grown in 2 or 3 years.

I expect many of the schools to swell, not immediately, but over the next couple years. Better to spread that growth across a couple facilities over several years than to concentrate it in 1 or 2 clusters. I think it will make perfect sense to reevaluate treatment in a couple years (the reassignment plan was made to address the next 5 years if I heard correctly).
The lonely middle... Forecasting to 5 years has too many caveats to justify moving so many kids. Especially when there's some questionable data points and they know it gets real fuzzy going that many years out. Err on the safer side and leave some more kids in their home clusters to reduce the impact.
 
Old 03-14-2014, 10:16 PM
 
Location: Charlotte Metro Area
2,155 posts, read 3,370,387 times
Reputation: 1657
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
If only I was important enough for people to blindly follow my posts. You wonder if I'm being sarcastic? Do you really want to know my story? I once had wealth, power, and the love of a beautiful woman. Now I only have two things: my friends, and... uh... my thermos. It was never easy for me. I was born a poor black child. I remember the days, sittin' on the porch with my family, singin' and dancin' down in Mississippi.
Well you owe me $1.06 for the detrimental effects of the Opti-Grab.
 
Old 03-15-2014, 08:46 AM
 
3 posts, read 3,610 times
Reputation: 14
Default Been here before

I moved here in july of 2013. We looked at all areas, all schools and it came down to Cuthbertson schools. We talked to a lot of people. Analyzed all the facts we could. Realtors directed us, off the record of course, to Cuthbertson High School. I called the School board at the end of June, beginning of July 2013 and asked if any redistricting was in the works and was told NO? that for any redistricting to occur it would take years and many meetings. I lived through this in Florida. Trust me it takes years to build a new school. Do the government entities here use an impact fee on new housing? This might help build the facilities to meet new demand and worked well.
I just am concerned for my daugher who is in 6 grade now and is comfortable in Cuthbertson Middle School. I never judge a book by its cover, but in doing my due diligence, I think you can see that Parkwood High School has a reputation as a mediocre educational institution. Unfortunately I know what they look like because I saw firsthand in FLorida ( which is why we left) what happens to children who are not encouraged and motivated and helped w/ all resources to succeed. The kids can succeed, but need a positive and uplifting educational experience. That starts at the Top.
Life is about decisions, and if my house is not worth what I paid simply because of a perception I will have to eat it and move on. As for my daughter, It is and always will be my responsibility to augment her education where the school fails.
But in the end you can only judge based on the best information available. The numbers and the analysis point to Parkwood High School as being a mediocre at best educational institution. This is most likely due to outside variables but in the end the facts are unassailable. I will keep an open mind and continue to dig deeper into the information. If Parkwood Middle School is a good fit, I will gladly concede I was wrong. Otherwise you move on and look at this as a bump in the road.
 
Old 03-15-2014, 10:23 AM
 
631 posts, read 736,245 times
Reputation: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbordas View Post
I moved here in july of 2013. We looked at all areas, all schools and it came down to Cuthbertson schools. We talked to a lot of people. Analyzed all the facts we could. Realtors directed us, off the record of course, to Cuthbertson High School. I called the School board at the end of June, beginning of July 2013 and asked if any redistricting was in the works and was told NO? that for any redistricting to occur it would take years and many meetings. I lived through this in Florida. Trust me it takes years to build a new school. Do the government entities here use an impact fee on new housing? This might help build the facilities to meet new demand and worked well.
I just am concerned for my daugher who is in 6 grade now and is comfortable in Cuthbertson Middle School. I never judge a book by its cover, but in doing my due diligence, I think you can see that Parkwood High School has a reputation as a mediocre educational institution. Unfortunately I know what they look like because I saw firsthand in FLorida ( which is why we left) what happens to children who are not encouraged and motivated and helped w/ all resources to succeed. The kids can succeed, but need a positive and uplifting educational experience. That starts at the Top.
Life is about decisions, and if my house is not worth what I paid simply because of a perception I will have to eat it and move on. As for my daughter, It is and always will be my responsibility to augment her education where the school fails.
But in the end you can only judge based on the best information available. The numbers and the analysis point to Parkwood High School as being a mediocre at best educational institution. This is most likely due to outside variables but in the end the facts are unassailable. I will keep an open mind and continue to dig deeper into the information. If Parkwood Middle School is a good fit, I will gladly concede I was wrong. Otherwise you move on and look at this as a bump in the road.
Hi jboras,

Welcome to UC and its unfortunate you weren't given accurate information when you were selecting a house. The realtors should know, many many not, but others would be more apt to ignore it to make the sale, so that stinks. Were they very familiar with the area? I'm guessing your subdivision was probably assigned to Parkwood 5 years ago, then moved to Cuthbertson, and now moving back. The lines can move, but it would have been good for you to know ahead of time.

As for contacting the schools, I'm curious if you talked to the BOE or to someone working for UCPS. Depending who you talked to within UCPS they very well could not have known that we'd be redistricting. Someone else could have said "there's nothing in the plans, but with recent growth, they may adjust in the future" or something similar. It would depend on their vantage point and past experience I supposed. It sounds like folks got different answers from different sources, but either way, there wasn't anything "official" for them to report at that time. If it was the BOE, that too would probable depend on who you talked to.

As for impact fees, there aren't any here. The state doesn't allow it and its been an ongoing debate for years. Especially here for this exact reason.

As for Parkwood itself, I'll let others here reply. I know Raithfan has kids there and love it. I'm glad you have an open mind about it and I hope your daughter has a great time.
 
Old 03-15-2014, 01:03 PM
 
Location: Waxhaw
33 posts, read 47,949 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
What needs are they representing???? People are funding Citizens for Adequate Public Schools' effort to sue UCPS for some of the following reasons:

1. The distance to my new school is too far and buses are dangerous.
2. My home value will go down.
3. My kids should be in school "with their own kind" (socio-economic class???).
4. My kid's new school is inferior academically.
6. My kid's will be bullied because their new school is too violent.
7. My kid's new school does not have as nice facilities as my kid's current school.

Wah! Wah! Wah! Where is a need not being met? Some people's every want has been met for too long. Suing for your unreasonable wants (i.e. lavish neighborhood schools right around the corner) can't be equated to suing for long overdue repairs.

So, with this talk about costing taxpayers, I take it you are against the county spending money to repair the schools?
Bubba, I could care less about any of your listed reasons. Mine would be more along the line of:

1. Some will have multiple siblings in multiple schools
2. One of the kids will need to be driven to school - How can I do that when both my wife and I leave for
Work?

I personally could care less about your #1

# 2 is a reality, like it or not - It is a reality.
# 3 - Is disgusting if you or anyone else actually thinks that
# 4 - That will change over time (isn't that part of the Socialist/Elite progressive agenda of ALL schools)
as School Admins work hard to equal out everyone.
# 5 - Wait, you didn't list a #5 so I don't know what that is.

# 6 - I saw that posted about one of the candidates (Maher I think) but I have gone through his posts on his
pages after hearing stuff about him here and I cannot find that quote anywhere. I personally think
someone with an anti-Maher agenda made it up. Also, in doing so I have not found his posts to be
anti-parkwood as another poster stead. The one post showed data - maybe not a great idea to do that
but other than that one data post, I see nothing to indicate what others here have said. Am I missing
Something?

# 7 - I assume that the BOE and UCPS have a long term plan to fix the buildings that need some TLC


Due to the distance proposed, now the kids need to get up quite a bit earlier - Which in turn means
the parent needs to get up earlier OR take the time they usually used to get ready for REAL WORK
and now use that time getting the kids ready. So Instead of getting up for work every day at 5:00 AM
to be ready so when the kids get up at 5:45 AM the mooring runs smoothly. Now kids need to get up at
5:00 AM and some parents (ME) will need to get up at 4:15 AM. Of course still not getting home from
work until 6:30 PM - Yeah thats what i signed up for as an adult when I purposely moved to an area with
a school (ANY SCHOOL) only 2.5 miles away.

Some have jumped on Savage and Hodges as well. Savage appeared genuine in her feelings about the redistrict (agree or not). Hodges appeared to be looking for votes for her BOC campaign. At least they publicly stated how they felt throughout the process. Aside from them the only BOE members that spoke out were Stewart and Collins.
 
Old 03-15-2014, 03:10 PM
 
547 posts, read 535,645 times
Reputation: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Kidd View Post
Bubba, I could care less about any of your listed reasons. Mine would be more along the line of:

1. Some will have multiple siblings in multiple schools
2. One of the kids will need to be driven to school - How can I do that when both my wife and I leave for
Work?

I personally could care less about your #1

# 2 is a reality, like it or not - It is a reality.
# 3 - Is disgusting if you or anyone else actually thinks that
# 4 - That will change over time (isn't that part of the Socialist/Elite progressive agenda of ALL schools)
as School Admins work hard to equal out everyone.
# 5 - Wait, you didn't list a #5 so I don't know what that is.

# 6 - I saw that posted about one of the candidates (Maher I think) but I have gone through his posts on his
pages after hearing stuff about him here and I cannot find that quote anywhere. I personally think
someone with an anti-Maher agenda made it up. Also, in doing so I have not found his posts to be
anti-parkwood as another poster stead. The one post showed data - maybe not a great idea to do that
but other than that one data post, I see nothing to indicate what others here have said. Am I missing
Something?

# 7 - I assume that the BOE and UCPS have a long term plan to fix the buildings that need some TLC


Due to the distance proposed, now the kids need to get up quite a bit earlier - Which in turn means
the parent needs to get up earlier OR take the time they usually used to get ready for REAL WORK
and now use that time getting the kids ready. So Instead of getting up for work every day at 5:00 AM
to be ready so when the kids get up at 5:45 AM the mooring runs smoothly. Now kids need to get up at
5:00 AM and some parents (ME) will need to get up at 4:15 AM. Of course still not getting home from
work until 6:30 PM - Yeah thats what i signed up for as an adult when I purposely moved to an area with
a school (ANY SCHOOL) only 2.5 miles away.

Some have jumped on Savage and Hodges as well. Savage appeared genuine in her feelings about the redistrict (agree or not). Hodges appeared to be looking for votes for her BOC campaign. At least they publicly stated how they felt throughout the process. Aside from them the only BOE members that spoke out were Stewart and Collins.
Wow, JDKidd. That is some bus ride! I seriously doubt the bus ride is going to be 45 minutes longer. The bus routes haven't even been set yet. I think you are exaggerating a bit?

However, I do admit that I left out one reason as pointed out by another poster. Some people don't want their children's lives disrupted. While I can understand and sympathize with that, I still don't see it or any of the other reasons you or I listed as being grounds for filing a lawsuit against UCPS.

None of these reasons will hold any weight with the Courts. North Carolina General Statute specifically spells out that student assignment is entirely up to the local Board of Education. Any lawsuit filed is going to be absolutely baseless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top