U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2014, 01:54 PM

5,783 posts, read 8,410,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
The judge can rule UCPS and the BOE exempt from FOI?... um, no. Can only rule against expediting.
Right, but look at the list - he should rule against from my perspective considering it is putting an undue burden on a very small staff to expedite it... they have to do their actual jobs.

I've already said that something may come out of this eventually, but it will ultimately work itself out at the ballot box with 5 spots open on the BOE.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:04 PM

527 posts, read 636,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Right, but look at the list - he should rule against from my perspective considering it is putting an undue burden on a very small staff to expedite it... they have to do their actual jobs.

I've already said that something may come out of this eventually, but it will ultimately work itself out at the ballot box with 5 spots open on the BOE.
The judge CANNOT rule against FOI.

This small staff could have avoided the undue burden by spending the right amount of time on the front end of the process.

Of course there is no cost or undue burden to parents as a result of all of this. It's perfectly natural and fine to shuttle a sophomore to Weddington and a freshman to Sun Valley.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:04 PM

397 posts, read 518,338 times
No offense taken...and I will steal "assclownery"...look later.

I don't think there is any dispute that anyone on here wants what is best for their kids...I continue to operate under the assumption that EVERYONE on this site, or any other site, loves their family deeply. That is not in dispute. We do not disagree on Grandma and the kids. The kids have had seperate rooms for several years...time to pay the piper and bunk up....Grandma's watching Jeopardy. She took care of me for a long time.

Last edited by raithfan; 03-25-2014 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: forgot the main "not"

Old 03-25-2014, 02:09 PM

527 posts, read 636,501 times
Nice post jlat, but this forum is for slamming facebookers and truth seekers. No place for facts here as they can all be explained away.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:

This small staff could have avoided the undue burden by spending the right amount of time on the front end of the process.

Of course there is no cost or undue burden to parents as a result of all of this. It's perfectly natural and fine to shuttle a sophomore to Weddington and a freshman to Sun Valley.
If UCPS has a neighborhood system, then why does my kid go to Parkwood? We live closer to Cuthbertson...everyone south of the RR tracks out a mile or so past S. Prov. Road does. They all go to Parkwood. And have forever. Should we be at the closest school? The system has never been that way and we knew it getting into it.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:

Why would someone shuttle a freshman to Sun Valley and a sophmore to Weddington?

Old 03-25-2014, 02:14 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,143,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raithfan View Post
No offense taken...and I will steal "assclownery"...look later.

I don't think there is any dispute that anyone on here wants what is best for their kids...I continue to operate under the assumption that EVERYONE on this site, or any other site, loves their family deeply. That is not in dispute. We do not disagree on Grandma and the kids. The kids have had seperate rooms for several years...time to pay the piper and bunk up....Grandma's watching Jeopardy. She took care of me for a long time.
I hear ya, but I can't agree. Going from the closest school, to the next would be a bunk up, going to the 4th or 5th is being put in the yard.

I think a lot of people, several that post here, think that this isn't a big deal that the parents involved should just "go with it" and get incredulous when someone pushes back. It makes me wonder how or when they would ever fight for their kids.

I was going to say grandma was watching Price is Right, but couldn't think of it at the time.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:14 PM

18 posts, read 19,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raithfan View Post
If UCPS has a neighborhood system, then why does my kid go to Parkwood? We live closer to Cuthbertson...everyone south of the RR tracks out a mile or so past S. Prov. Road does. They all go to Parkwood. And have forever. Should we be at the closest school? The system has never been that way and we knew it getting into it.
I would say UCPS does have a neighborhood system. Everyone in the same neighborhood goes to the same school.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
I hear ya, but I can't agree. Going from the closest school, to the next would be a bunk up, going to the 4th or 5th is being put in the yard.

I think a lot of people, several that post here, think that this isn't a big deal that the parents involved should just "go with it" and get incredulous when someone pushes back. It makes me wonder how or when they would ever fight for their kids.

I was going to say grandma was watching Price is Right, but couldn't think of it at the time.
I like to think of Grandma as more of a thinker....

Old 03-25-2014, 02:18 PM

18 posts, read 19,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post

I would really like to see how someone comes up with a student going to the 4th or 5th closest school. Maybe any type of school (i.e. they are a high schooler and there are elementary and middle schools closer), but no way they are being moved from High School A to High School B and there are 3-4 other High Schools that are closer.

Also, I also don't believe when people say they will pass by their old school or sometimes 2 other schools in going to their new school. I guess if they take a crazy route they could force this to happen, but I am pretty sure that will not be the bus route.

Maybe I am totally wrong. But I have lived in UC for quite a while, and driven on these "dangerous" roads a long time. I don't see how that could happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or