U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 12:55 PM

45,516 posts, read 18,042,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catonc View Post
Actually, my understanding is this is incorrect. The only thing that has been heard by the courts was a temporary injunction request which would have only stopped the process for 10 days. And the court denied this based on no "immediate" harm in allowing it to continue while waiting for the next step. There has been nothing else done by the courts for the long term.

You are correct. The court has only been asked to do one thing, rule on the injunction. It ruled against the plaintiffs.

It's impossible to speculation on future actions that have yet to be brought to court. Given that nothing like this has happened so far then I still think it is safe to say. The redistricting battle "is over".

Old 04-08-2014, 01:29 PM

5,789 posts, read 8,442,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
My theory holds water as long as they haven't already exceeded the limitations. Is this known?
What limitations? If they didn't have a problem loading up the older schools with trailers pre-cluster C, they most certainly wouldn't have an issue any time soon in the newer schools.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:22 PM

527 posts, read 638,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
People can't bring lawsuits every time they disagree with a government decision. Government would be shut down by disgruntled mobs like CAPS . In a representative democracy, we elect people to represent us when making decisions. If we don't like the decisions they make, we don't reelect them or we run for office against them. We don't sue our representatives.
Unfortunately NC doesn't allow recall elections so there is no recourse other than lawsuits.

The idea that voters should wait until the next election cycle, after the damage is done, is crazy.

People can continue to come here and post about how silly and wasteful the lawsuit is but it's not going away... and it's not over.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:04 PM

547 posts, read 537,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
People can continue to come here and post about how silly and wasteful the lawsuit is but it's not going away... and it's not over.
CAPS might get some of their FOI requests answered through the lawsuit, but IT IS OVER.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:04 PM

136 posts, read 157,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewith3 View Post
I prefer high school start first BUT many schools across the country have elementary start first because of the "sleep cycle" of teems saying that they need to sleep in.

My friend in Missouri was thrilled when they just switched her high school kids to the last school to start in the mornings and get out later. She cited the studies.

So it is not just a Union County thing at all. And to compensate some of the high schools offer flex scheduling if you have enough credits so you can get out for a job or come in late or however you want to work it, in Union County.
I always figured that the late start & finish for HS was for afterschool sports - stay on campus for practice and games. The only places I've seen that start elementary kids so early were distant exurbs that start early enough to build in time for an hr+ commute to work.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:18 PM

136 posts, read 157,549 times
Quote:
CAPS might get some of their FOI requests answered through the lawsuit, but IT IS OVER.
I bet they get their FOIA answered... but it will probably turn out to be a case of 'be careful what you wish for.' Fishing expeditions don't usually turn up what you're hoping for. (And I'm not convinced these people have any idea what they're looking for). I expect we'll find that we only know the tip of the iceberg when it comes to inequities in spending, support, and infrastructure for schools across UC. Won't be a proud day for the schools, but may backfire even more for CAPS.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
What limitations? If they didn't have a problem loading up the older schools with trailers pre-cluster C, they most certainly wouldn't have an issue any time soon in the newer schools.
I had assumed you understood that regardless of whether trailers had been used in the past, they are not free to keep adding them without considering the limits placed on them by the state.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:54 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,149,024 times
Quote:
People can't bring lawsuits every time they disagree with a government decision. Government would be shut down by disgruntled mobs like CAPS . In a representative democracy, we elect people to represent us when making decisions. If we don't like the decisions they make, we don't reelect them or we run for office against them. We don't sue our representatives.
Sure they can, if they have no other recourse. Happens all the time. In fact the suit against the county was just that. They didn't like what the county did, so they sued. No one in the government elected or appointed is above the law, and the law allows people get sued.

Quote:
So you supported UCPS and were okay with funding capital projects as long as they benefited you? A majority of the county's taxpayers have been funding capital projects that were of no benefit to their areas of Union County for the past two decades. You are probably right though; the actions of many residents in particular areas of Union County do seem a bit selfish. They will probably balk now that all of the funding is no longer flowing in their direction
Nice try but again you are just simply wrong. I never said what I would do, so your assumption fails miserably. I will say this, I will look very closely from now on on what the BOI is doing and what they are asking for. If it doesn't pass the sniff test, It won't get my vote, regardless of what it is and regardless of where the money goes.

I will agree with you on one point, I have seen some really selfish people since this all came out. Some of them had skin in the game, some definitely did not.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
Sure they can, if they have no other recourse. Happens all the time. In fact the suit against the county was just that. They didn't like what the county did, so they sued. No one in the government elected or appointed is above the law, and the law allows people get sued.
I would say that it doesn't happen all the time. Successful people know that going to court is a very risky strategy. For people who do end up there, many times it is because they decided to punch their opponent in the face first (metaphorically) instead of quiet negotiation.

The basic problem of going to court is this. Once you pull that trigger, you completely lose any control over the outcome. It's in the hands of a 3rd party now. Furthermore if you don't prevail, then you have completely legitimized the position of your opponent and have lost any ability to negotiate a compromise. It's a tactic that shouldn't be driven by angry emotion and/or without a sound plan to win the case.

This is why I keep saying "it's over" about the redistricting fight.

As I said earlier, the court isn't a place to "make a statement". It's a place to seek legal remedy when harmed by another party.

Last edited by WaldoKitty; 04-09-2014 at 01:47 AM..

Old 04-09-2014, 08:34 AM

527 posts, read 638,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Successful people know that going to court is a very risky strategy
"Successful People"? Heck, they spend more time in court than judges.

To your other point regarding the purpose of the court system...

Why Courts Exist

Only the judiciary can definitively determine who is to prevail in the inevitable conflicts that arise between individuals; between government and the governed, including those accused by the state of violating the law; between individuals and corporations; and between organizations, both public and private. The atmosphere surrounding courts and court events is formal and peculiar, because the courts are unique. They resolve disputes by applying the law to the facts of particular cases independently and impartially. When the law is applied to the facts in courts, every party has the absolute right to an arbiter who is independent of the parties to that case and their advocates.

Court processes must reflect established court purposes such as individual justice in individual cases, the appearance of individual justice in individual cases, provision of a forum for the resolution of disputes, the protection of individuals against the arbitrary use of governmental power, and the making of a record of legal status. Individual cases must receive individual attention. The law must be correctly applied to the facts. Regardless of economic or other status, there must be equal access. Everyone who comes to and before the court must be treated respectfully, fairly, and equally. Case processing and the application of the law to the facts in individual cases must be consistent and predictable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or