Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2014, 11:13 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times

Advertisements

Please keep all the redistricting comments to the redistricting-questions thread...I want to follow all the discussions but it makes it hard when split/repeated between 2 threads...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...estions-5.html

Old 01-08-2014, 11:16 AM

98 posts, read 164,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinzone View Post
Think about this statement for a second. The BOE and County Commissioners do not money of their own. Where will they obtain the money to defend and possibly settle your lawsuit? I'm sure your neighbors and communities which already attend these schools, who've chosen not to sue, will appreciate you helping to raise their property tax rates.

What happens when your neighborhood reaches out to the County Commissioners for help with infrastructure, addressing traffic concerns/laws, property reevaluations, etc?
Well just an FYI. Don't have much faith in the county either because they shut down a main connecting road between communities right at the beginning of a school year (dumb) for almost 5 months to fix a couple of pot holes (that 4 weeks later) came apart because they were done wrong and they planted a bunch of trees which dome fell down after it rained. Again (dumb) and during that had traffic redirected to a road w no traffic light and a very bad blind spot with a hospital on the corner ( very convenient for people involved in accidents) which there were MANY everyday. When contacting them about putting up a traffic light they said they would consider it if there was a fatality. Again (dumb) answer. So m not worried about the county doing anything.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Please keep all the redistricting comments to the redistricting-questions thread...I want to follow all the discussions but it makes it hard when split/repeated between 2 threads...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...estions-5.html
I like the Split/repeated phrase. Sort of like what we are going through as parents

Old 01-08-2014, 11:50 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northunion View Post
So it sounds like they will announce which neighborhoods will be affected next Tuesday (1/14) at a meeting, then there will be some sort of public comment period (as if that ever changes the outcome) and then reassignments will be made for the 2014-2015 school year. Nothing against Sun Valley but I will not be happy if the kids in my neighborhood are switched from Weddington....
And just wanted to reiterate I doubt it will happen but they are worried. Especially if there is enough protest from the Marvin and Cuthbertson clusters.

I am keeping a close eye on it as I wouldn't mind moving back to Union in a year or so. I am over where I live now (SE Charlotte) and wish I never left Union.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:22 PM

18 posts, read 32,707 times
So it sounds like they will announce which neighborhoods will be affected next Tuesday (1/14) at a meeting, then there will be some sort of public comment period (as if that ever changes the outcome) and then reassignments will be made for the 2014-2015 school year. Nothing against Sun Valley but I will not be happy if the kids in my neighborhood are switched from Weddington, not to mention the fact that such a move will make the resale values in my neighborhood plummet. My kids are 4 miles from Weddington and nearly 9 miles from Sun Valley so I hope common sense prevails but in this county with it's "Boss Hog Politics" you never know...

Old 01-08-2014, 12:48 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
How do you figure no transparency? Is funny that people that have never been to a board meeting in their lives are now outraged they didn't know what was going on. Alot of us did.

Its not futile, it's common sense. 19 elementary schools were said to be adjusted, 19 elementary schools had numbers change. The rest are identical. You are going to tell me it is just speculation which 19 schools are changing??? And people wonder why they are in the dark......

I've gone to board meetings and reviewed everything in detail posted on the county sites... I am the one who pointed out that the county maintains a subdivision map which you had no clue existed. I am not in the dark so save your high and mighty routine for the emotional outbursts. I am viewing this 100% from a logical and analytical standpoint. These are public officials managing public policy. If you think sitting through board meetings watching them present commendations, pose for pictures, and follow some half arse parliamentary procedures let's you know what's going on - you're way off.

Transparency is a complete and well documented process - from beginning to end... and most importantly, public disclosure of all the datapoints and metrics used to make the recommendations for changes. The population forecast presented is useless when you're going to make recommendations of switching subdivisions... They have to have more details that they are not sharing and they're playing games switching up meeting times and places last minute to avoid a scene.

As far as your Elementary comment, I have no clue what you're referring to in the scope of transparency... "common sense" does not equate to public policy and full disclosure. "19 elementary schools are changing" is ludicrous as an idea of being transparent.

So once again - save your petty scolding for those whining to whine and trying to blame the planning department, the builders, blah blah blah... I'm not doing that. I am calling the Board of Education out on their transparency of what is the most critical part of the redistricting process - deciding where to move the lines. This is happening between board meetings by a facilities committee that has shared nothing publicly with regard to HOW they arrived at the proposal to the board.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:09 PM

985 posts, read 1,900,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
And just wanted to reiterate I doubt it will happen but they are worried. Especially if there is enough protest from the Marvin and Cuthbertson clusters.

I am keeping a close eye on it as I wouldn't mind moving back to Union in a year or so. I am over where I live now (SE Charlotte) and wish I never left Union.
Quite frankly they just need to do and not listen to the MR or Cuthbertson clusters. Truth is people can't stay where they are now.

I know many don't like to move I get it, but something needs to be done in a manner that does not cost too much.

adding: I have 3 kids at MR

Old 01-08-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northunion View Post
So it sounds like they will announce which neighborhoods will be affected next Tuesday (1/14) at a meeting, then there will be some sort of public comment period (as if that ever changes the outcome) and then reassignments will be made for the 2014-2015 school year. Nothing against Sun Valley but I will not be happy if the kids in my neighborhood are switched from Weddington, not to mention the fact that such a move will make the resale values in my neighborhood plummet. My kids are 4 miles from Weddington and nearly 9 miles from Sun Valley so I hope common sense prevails but in this county with it's "Boss Hog Politics" you never know...
I don't think they care about distance because state pays for transportation which they don't care about. We live 4.1 miles from Cuthbertson and Parkwood is 14.5 miles away and I'm worried because of all the talk.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I've gone to board meetings and reviewed everything in detail posted on the county sites... I am the one who pointed out that the county maintains a subdivision map which you had no clue existed. I am not in the dark so save your high and mighty routine for the emotional outbursts. I am viewing this 100% from a logical and analytical standpoint. These are public officials managing public policy. If you think sitting through board meetings watching them present commendations, pose for pictures, and follow some half arse parliamentary procedures let's you know what's going on - you're way off.

Transparency is a complete and well documented process - from beginning to end... and most importantly, public disclosure of all the datapoints and metrics used to make the recommendations for changes. The population forecast presented is useless when you're going to make recommendations of switching subdivisions... They have to have more details that they are not sharing and they're playing games switching up meeting times and places last minute to avoid a scene.

As far as your Elementary comment, I have no clue what you're referring to in the scope of transparency... "common sense" does not equate to public policy and full disclosure. "19 elementary schools are changing" is ludicrous as an idea of being transparent.

So once again - save your petty scolding for those whining to whine and trying to blame the planning department, the builders, blah blah blah... I'm not doing that. I am calling the Board of Education out on their transparency of what is the most critical part of the redistricting process - deciding where to move the lines. This is happening between board meetings by a facilities committee that has shared nothing publicly with regard to HOW they arrived at the proposal to the board.
Well said Mikey.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:21 PM

18 posts, read 32,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONYMETS View Post
I don't think they care about distance because state pays for transportation which they don't care about. We live 4.1 miles from Cuthbertson and Parkwood is 14.5 miles away and I'm worried because of all the talk.
I am hoping that longer bus rides would cut into their tight bus schedules and make a difference that way, but then there is the case of the Hollister neighborhood where most are close enough to hear the Weddington High band on Friday nights but their kids go to Cuthbertson (for now). Bottom line I don't want my kids to leave a school with a grad rate of 90+% for a school that graduates only 75% of it's kids all for the same tax dollars...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte