U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2014, 10:18 PM

5,783 posts, read 8,411,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by et777 View Post
I'm almost scared to ask cause of all the fighting in this thread but I will ask: we are relocating to Waxhaw, NC. If our kids get moved to another school, what is the farthest they can/will move them to? Also I see the way many people talk badly about some of the schools, do the children/families in the less desirable schools get made fun of or talked about as if they go to a lower class school? The whole reason I liked this area was for how family-friendly it seemed. I would never want my kids to feel like they go to the bad school or get teased. I am very close to putting down a deposit & wanted some real opinions about this good or bad.thanks
Can/will move - it really depends where it's zoned right now and how close you are to the bordering cluster(s). In the end, you're guaranteed UCPS not a specific school.

There was some of that silliness on social media that you may be referring to about "lower class school", etc... In the end, you'll be at the same school with your neighbors and interacting with kids at the same school - so it's kind of hard to buy into getting made fun of when they're at the same place.

Where are you from on LI? Maybe I can help give some context to Waxhaw.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:20 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,823,696 times
Quote:
I'm almost scared to ask cause of all the fighting in this thread but I will ask: we are relocating to Waxhaw, NC. If our kids get moved to another school, what is the farthest they can/will move them to? Also I see the way many people talk badly about some of the schools, do the children/families in the less desirable schools get made fun of or talked about as if they go to a lower class school? The whole reason I liked this area was for how family-friendly it seemed. I would never want my kids to feel like they go to the bad school or get teased. I am very close to putting down a deposit & wanted some real opinions about this good or bad.thanks
The entire county is family friendly. We have a lot of growing pains because of so many people moving in from other places. My children are 40 something now. I have watched new schools being built and children being taken from our district (Parkwood) to fill them. Now those schools are getting over crowded and many people in our area are getting older without school age children so the school has more space. Even though we are older, we still love our schools and the children in them.

I really don't see what the commotion is all about. I think it is stemming from ignorance. It might be a blessing if your children end up in Parkwood. Parkwood has a lot of land owners and long time residents. One cannot ask for a more family friendly area.

This is one of the family friendly activities going on the last Saturday in April every year. The Charlotte Steeplechase Association, Inc. | Experience the Thrill of the Chase Don't let the price of the tickets scare you off. They also have an inside the track area where you can purchase individual tickets (usually sold at a lower price at Harris Teeter Grocery Stores) and bring your own blankets or folding chairs and coolers. You can choose to go expensive or more casual. Everybody is welcome.

Last edited by NCN; 04-10-2014 at 10:28 PM..

Old 04-11-2014, 06:47 AM

527 posts, read 636,549 times
Quote:
The current reassignment has kids travelling as far as 13 miles to their new school. Buying close to your desired school doesn't necessarily keep you safe. For example: Berkshire is 1.1 miles from Newtown Elementary and they are being sent 6.3 miles to Western Union. They are 2.9 miles from CHS and they are being sent 9.5 miles to Parkwood. Saddlebrook is 1.9 miles from Monroe MS and they are being sent 9.6 miles to East Union. So if distance is your concern, you shouldn't feel safe in UC.

As far as the schools go, most of the actual kids from the different schools have always gotten along just fine... but it has changed a little bit recently with snippy comments coming from both sides. Kids not wanting to go to different schools or kids in those schools not wanting a bunch of newcomers. I personally don't see the kids side of things being a huge deal for elementary school kids because they aren't invested in the school spirit part of it yet. It's different for MS and HS where they have participated on the field, raised funds, attended pep rallies, etc. All things being equal they still wouldn't want to change schools.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:34 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,143,939 times
Quote:

Move to the Marvin district...you'll never have to worry...

Old 04-14-2014, 06:21 PM

24 posts, read 43,306 times
Thank you everyone for your kind replies. We have decided on Millbridge Subdivison in Waxhaw, NC. We are really excited about the move. We currently live on the North Shore of Eastern LI, NY. Waxhaw reminds me of home only without the highest taxes in the nation. So many young families like us are now leaving LI cause it's way too expensive to live here. We are willing to leave everything & everyone we know to provide a better life for our children. I would really like to come into it with an open mind & know that no matter where our girls go to school they will get a great education with good friends. We are using Bonterra Builders & having a new home built so if anyone has tips or advice please feel free to message me anytime. Also if anyone has any experience with Millbridge & the local schools, please feel free to let us know also. Thanks so much!

Old 04-15-2014, 11:05 AM

547 posts, read 535,574 times
Legal Update from Lawsuit Lady....

Citizens For Adequate Public Schools

14 hours ago

LEGAL UPDATE!!!

I just wanted to pass on some updates from the attorneys.

We did not receive discovery info by Friday, but we have been in communication with the BOE attorneys and expect it shortly. If they delay unreasonably, then we would file a motion to compel.

Once we receive the discovery, we have to review it and then schedule depositions. Schwartz will be away the last week of April, so these may not be until mid-May. After the depositions, we then have a summary judgment hearing. If the decision is not made by the judge at that hearing, then we go to trial.

Thank you all for your continued support!

Old 04-15-2014, 11:08 AM

547 posts, read 535,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
Legal Update from Lawsuit Lady....

Citizens For Adequate Public Schools

14 hours ago

...If the decision is not made by the judge at that hearing, then we go to trial.
Not likely with only around $25K in funds raised.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:36 AM

8 posts, read 12,397 times
Quote:
Thank you everyone for your kind replies. We have decided on Millbridge Subdivison in Waxhaw, NC. We are really excited about the move. We currently live on the North Shore of Eastern LI, NY. Waxhaw reminds me of home only without the highest taxes in the nation. So many young families like us are now leaving LI cause it's way too expensive to live here. We are willing to leave everything & everyone we know to provide a better life for our children. I would really like to come into it with an open mind & know that no matter where our girls go to school they will get a great education with good friends. We are using Bonterra Builders & having a new home built so if anyone has tips or advice please feel free to message me anytime. Also if anyone has any experience with Millbridge & the local schools, please feel free to let us know also. Thanks so much!
Welcome, hope you enjoy the new school we built for you and the seats our kids kept warm for you while we get bussed 12 miles away to school when we are closer to your school than you are. SMH!

Old 04-15-2014, 03:38 PM

527 posts, read 636,549 times
Quote:
Not likely with only around $25K in funds raised.
Nice try to be witty... but money isn't going to be an issue.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:00 PM

44,352 posts, read 17,716,609 times
Quote:
Once we receive the discovery, we have to review it and then schedule depositions. Schwartz will be away the last week of April, so these may not be until mid-May. After the depositions, we then have a summary judgment hearing. If the decision is not made by the judge at that hearing, then we go to trial.

Thank you all for your continued support!
Maybe I'm missing something, but since the court never ruled on discovery in the first place, then it's a possibility it may simply dismiss the entire thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or