U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2014, 02:35 PM

387 posts, read 841,713 times

Advertisements

And for those of us directly impacted by the redistricting, we received our "official" notifications today. So thrilled that my children are about to embark on "an exciting opportunity for my child to benefit from attending an outstanding school whose mission is to provide a quality education to all students" with their 22% EOG passing rates and twice as far away as their current school. They will be going without their friends from the neighborhood as they are younger than their friends and all of their friends are grandfathered in their current high school. Unless of course we are able to move before the new school year or I decide to homeschool them.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:23 PM

8 posts, read 12,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by et777 View Post
Thank you for your warm welcome. If your rude remark is supposed to scare me away from moving to Waxhaw, you failed. I'm from NY, I can handle rude just fine - thank you. I thought I was moving to a place where people showed Southern Hospitality? I was actually excited about meeting sweet people who would welcome us to a place where we don't know anyone.

It's not my fault that you are having issues with the school. You don't need to lash out on me. From the private messages I rec'd I'm guessing you are not a fan favorite on this site. Not everyone shared your welcome, many wished me good luck & provided tips. (Thank you to them)

Good luck to you & I hope that moving my family to NC to provide a better life for them doesn't affect your life as much as you think it will.
I apologize if you took my comment as a personal attack, but this is the wrong thread if you are looking for the "welcome wagon". I suggest you read this entire thread and you may understand why people are upset. Tensions are high and feelings are raw, especially at the mention of Millbridge.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:16 AM

18 posts, read 19,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
For those keeping up, I don't want to argue with the cat but do want the truth out there. Latest update from CAPS...

Quick update for Union County parents re: the BOE lawsuit:

++ Received one box of 2,750 pages of documents. Almost a week late. Early initial review indicates that BOE/UCPS probably did not comply properly with the request, i.e. they did not properly submit the information that the Judge told them to submit.

++ Reviewing these documents over the next 3-5 days.

++ Dates for 1] depositions of BOE and UCPS people, and 2] the court hearing for the injunction against the redistricting, have not yet been set. My guess is that will happen late this week or early next week.

-----------------------------------------------

but, but, the judge already ruled against the injunction... LOL
I am not sure a CAPS update is the best place for the truth...just saying.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:31 PM

397 posts, read 580,565 times
Quote:
Thank you for your warm welcome. If your rude remark is supposed to scare me away from moving to Waxhaw, you failed. I'm from NY, I can handle rude just fine - thank you. I thought I was moving to a place where people showed Southern Hospitality? I was actually excited about meeting sweet people who would welcome us to a place where we don't know anyone.

It's not my fault that you are having issues with the school. You don't need to lash out on me. From the private messages I rec'd I'm guessing you are not a fan favorite on this site. Not everyone shared your welcome, many wished me good luck & provided tips. (Thank you to them)

Good luck to you & I hope that moving my family to NC to provide a better life for them doesn't affect your life as much as you think it will.

Jeez, warm welcome is right. There are some that think they are own seats at the local schools. They are finding that to be 100% wrong about now. Redistricting has always been in existence and always a potential risk. Just like in NY there are rude people everywhere (even online!) Hang in there and good luck to you!

Old 04-22-2014, 06:39 PM

24 posts, read 43,500 times
Default To: ILoveWaxhaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveWaxhaw View Post
I apologize if you took my comment as a personal attack, but this is the wrong thread if you are looking for the "welcome wagon". I suggest you read this entire thread and you may understand why people are upset. Tensions are high and feelings are raw, especially at the mention of Millbridge.
While I can understand that people are upset & respect your opinion, no one else posted a rude comment. In fact I have had so many people who are being affected contact me to offer advice & tips. They were kind even though they are upset about what is going on. I guess they remember what it feels like to move someplace new & not know a sole.

My children are in the 2nd largest school district in LI, NY. We pay $10,000 in taxes for a school district that has a 6 for the average school rating. Mind you, a 6 in NY can be compared to a 9 in most states - but not in Union County, NC which is why we wanted to move here. When we selected Millbridge we had no idea that this community plays a big part in the school issues. It's not like the community & realtors told us that. We asked locals & no one mentioned it.

We are moving to provide a better life for our kids. Waxhaw reminds us of home but with a cost of living that we can actually afford. We don't mean to intrude on your town or ways, we just hope that once we are there we will be welcomed & others won't treat us like you did.

Best of luck to all of you, Thank you.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:26 PM

124 posts, read 139,534 times
Be wary of one of the three running as a platform, tis not the first time this was attempted and ironically spearheaded by the same individual, nor was the transparency promised then by the three adhered to as well. In this past Sunday's Enquirer Journal under the Your View column (page A7) former Commissioner and State Rep Clayton Loflin has quite a few things to say about it and about the BOE decision prior to the snip I took that I'm showing below.

Here is a link from a blog United For Union where a sitting Commissioner at the time had quite a bit to say for the then platform of 3.
United for Union: The State of Union--By Allan Baucom

Also from the same blog site: United for Union: Union County County Manager Controversey

There's a few other interesting reads from that time period from the then platform of 3.

Here's the snip from the EJ on Sunday that I spoke of above, I had to attach t as a file.

It just goes to show people step out of the limelight and people forget and some people weren't living here at the time or were not so politically involved.

Just a little info I thought I'd share, no particular agenda involved. Read and decide for yourself.
Attached Thumbnails
Union County Public Schools redistricting-clip.jpg  

Old 04-22-2014, 08:45 PM

Quote:
While I can understand that people are upset & respect your opinion, no one else posted a rude comment. In fact I have had so many people who are being affected contact me to offer advice & tips. They were kind even though they are upset about what is going on. I guess they remember what it feels like to move someplace new & not know a sole.

My children are in the 2nd largest school district in LI, NY. We pay $10,000 in taxes for a school district that has a 6 for the average school rating. Mind you, a 6 in NY can be compared to a 9 in most states - but not in Union County, NC which is why we wanted to move here. When we selected Millbridge we had no idea that this community plays a big part in the school issues. It's not like the community & realtors told us that. We asked locals & no one mentioned it.

We are moving to provide a better life for our kids. Waxhaw reminds us of home but with a cost of living that we can actually afford. We don't mean to intrude on your town or ways, we just hope that once we are there we will be welcomed & others won't treat us like you did.

Best of luck to all of you, Thank you.
Don't worry about the rude comments, some people think that they own their child's seats in schools in UC, they don't. Either they didn't do their due diligence in their investigation when moving here or they don't understand a county-wide school system. UC doesn't have neighborhood schooling, period. This means that if overcrowding becomes an issue, new schools are built or if schools are closed down then the county BOE has the legal right to shift students from school to school in order to maintain a balance and remain below cap levels, it's that simple. We just had a redistricting that some folks don't agree with and have chosen to sue the BOE and county in an effort to stop it. There's a lot of sour grapes among some folk, none of which is your fault. It's ironic that some of these same folk are saying precisely what you just did, that your realtor never mentioned the redistricting or that they could face redistricting once they moved in at some point. Some folk are kinda pissy about Millbridge because the BOE rep for Millbridge (Mr Guzman) asked for an amendment to include the back part of Millbridge provided a road was built to connect the two areas of Millbridge. The Millbridge folk petitioned quietly, offered good documentation, refrained from getting involved in the nasty attacks like some folks and their amendment was accepted, while some district reps got up and stormed out of the meeting asking nothing for their constituents. So, here we are, lol. That's kind of a simplistic explanation but I'm sure you'll catch up on the background of it all in due time.

Welcome to Union County! I hope your move goes smooth and you grow to love UC as much as everyone else who chose to move here. I was born and bred here, it's an awesome place to live and as all places go we have our quirks here as well. I'm sure your neighbors will make you feel right at home.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:55 PM

175 posts, read 361,017 times
The "3" are backed by the Village Scribe. He is the guy who sits on the front row of all the commissioner meetings and when his team has members on the BOCC...he texts them play by play what to do and gives them talking points. It is almost comical. In some ways it would be good to see them win so all these people who have been awakened by this tragedy could see what they are all about. Its not pretty. Mr. Scribe uses issues like the redistricting to get out votes for his team. He is masterful at it. He is using YOU folks. Hope you feel good about it.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:58 AM

45,363 posts, read 18,002,973 times
Quote:
.....My children are in the 2nd largest school district in LI, NY. We pay $10,000 in taxes for a school district that has a 6 for the average school rating. Mind you, a 6 in NY can be compared to a 9 in most states - but not in Union County, NC which is why we wanted to move here. When we selected Millbridge we had no idea that this community plays a big part in the school issues. It's not like the community & realtors told us that. We asked locals & no one mentioned it.

We are moving to provide a better life for our kids. Waxhaw reminds us of home but with a cost of living that we can actually afford......
I hope you realize that because of the low taxes that you mention, and the current state of Union county finances, that a future school board may very well be forced to re-assign students from Millbridge to different schools.

The problem the county has, and the fact that it has no money to build more schools, is that constant reassignments are going to be coming as long as new families keep moving to the county.

The most important thing that I hope you got out of this saga is there are absolutely no guarantees from year to year on pupil assignment in a county wide school district. If, in the 2015/2016 school year they decided to do it again, don't be surprised.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyd View Post
The "3" are backed by the Village Scribe. He is the guy who sits on the front row of all the commissioner meetings and when his team has members on the BOCC...he texts them play by play what to do and gives them talking points. It is almost comical. In some ways it would be good to see them win so all these people who have been awakened by this tragedy could see what they are all about. Its not pretty. Mr. Scribe uses issues like the redistricting to get out votes for his team. He is masterful at it. He is using YOU folks. Hope you feel good about it.
Not using me BigDaddy, I remember the fiasco's from the last time one certain person was on the BOCC. Like I said, some of these people weren't around then and are being played like puppets. It's like that old saying, out of sight out of mind, people forget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or